PDA

View Full Version : Front AR15 Sight Post

psycho nut
March 19, 2011, 11:37 PM
I picked up my first AR15 today and ran a few rounds through it to function test and get a feel for it. The sights from the factory are pretty close but they are a bit high.

I want to zero at 50ish yards and I was wondering if you can adjust the front sight without the little wrench thing without messing up the post.

I tried to search but all I really found was discussion of methods.

DnPRK
March 20, 2011, 12:02 AM
To lower the point of impact, I depress the detent with a bent paper clip and turn the sight post counter clockwise as viewed from above.

Ridge_Runner_5
March 20, 2011, 12:20 AM
You can also use the tip of a bullet to depress the detent.

Rob228
March 20, 2011, 12:23 AM
I've used everything from the tip of a bullet to the smallest screw driver on a leatherman. Just be aware, you'll probably scratch the bluing a little, but you will get it to move.

greentick
March 20, 2011, 12:27 AM
the standard AR15/M16 iron sights are intended to be zeroed at 25m. Your point of aim/point of impact only changes a couple/few inches between the muzzle and 300m with this zero. Not sayin ya can't do what you want, just throwing in a couple of cents.

Rob228
March 20, 2011, 12:34 AM
Greentick,
It is actually 36m, its the M4 that gets zeroed at 25, but with either you are supposed to set your rear sights to the correct elevation and make all of the changes with the front sight post.

Tim R
March 20, 2011, 05:23 AM
Or you could order a sight adjustment tool.

http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/home.php?cat=582

Top line all the way to the right.

tirod
March 20, 2011, 11:41 AM
We just used nails on the firing line, straight from the hardware store still in the paper sack. Damaging the tips of bullets wasn't wanted in qualifying.