PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 - .22 upper

rugerdawg
March 17, 2011, 07:02 AM
I've been mauling over a decision to build a dedicated .22 / ar-15 and was curious to see if anyone had any experience with Nordic Arms uppers. I know Spikes builds dedicated .22 uppers also and has fairly good reviews. I'm staying away from conversion thing because the accuracy of a .22 from a 1:9 thru 1:7 barrel is marginal at best and accuracy is a must for me.

March 17, 2011, 01:22 PM
If you go with a Spikes, and accuracy is a high priority, get the Lothar Walther barrel.

rdmallory
March 17, 2011, 05:54 PM
S&W 15-22

Complete gun for the price of an upper.

Doug

wnycollector
March 18, 2011, 05:29 AM
I have a CMMG dedicated .22 upper. It is very accurate and reliable. I love the fact that I can pop it on any of my three lowers and practice cheaply with that rifles trigger. My upper and 4 mags was less than $400 from Aeon Arms.

psycho nut
March 18, 2011, 10:54 AM
S&W 15-22

Complete gun for the price of an upper.

Doug +1, a friend of mine has one and I would recommend it.

spoolup
March 18, 2011, 11:19 AM
I have a Spikes dedicated and 2 conversions. They are great, I have had the dedicated a few years now, well before S&W or Sig had a 22lr AR platform. Now that they do, I dont know which way I would go since the S&W and Sigs are nicely priced, but I will praise my Spikes tactical. The dedicated upper is extremely accurate, and at time of purchase, if you purchase the ST22 AR chamber adapter for $50, you can take the 22lr bolt out, swap the front piece in a matter of moments, and then it could also be used in any std AR15 upper as a conversion kit with the same 22lr magazine. Plus since its a upper only, it can be shipped right to your door instead of going to a gun shop / FFL if needed since the S&W and Sigs are pretty much out of stock everywhere here.

I currently own 12 ARs, and the 2 conversions, 3 if needed by swapping the chamber adapter. This keeps spare parts way down since the lower part are exactly the same. The conversions are convenient for indoor shooting where rifles can not be fired, for bugging out, or just cheap shooting. When I got back from Iraq earlier this year, I increased my 22lr stock but a metric ton, literally, I added another 30,000 rounds of 22lr, shop had cases of the Federal bulk pack for $135 (with .mil discount) usually $189, I bought 6. But being I have 4 types of conversion kits, and 13 22s I think, they can really eat that stuff up good. Now I want to go to the range tonight actually... that sounds good.

EDIT to add, even my girlfriend likes the 22lr AR, this is the dedicated upper.

http://home.comcast.net/~utspoolup/leashoot1.JPG

thesheepdog
March 18, 2011, 11:30 AM
Personally, I would rather have a 10/22. I just like the design better-not as bulky.
I have seen the conversion kits as not very accurate since the bore of a .223 AR is .224 diameter and the .22LR is a .223 diameter.

Dedicated .22 AR's are better because they have the correct bore.