PDA

View Full Version : Improper use of the Iscoceles hold...

Jim March
March 16, 2011, 09:58 PM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/082009/1249407453_recoil_pwnage.gif

"Some people are put on this world purely as an object lesson to others..."

:eek:

The weird thing is, he wouldn't have been as bad off if he'd used a Weaver hold. Something would still hurt afterwards (this much stupid is supposed to hurt!) but the basically assymetical Weaver would have put most of the power back past his face instead of right into it.

Which is why guys shooting handcannon-class revolvers prefer the Weaver hold.

Problem here though is without being able to put his strongside hand behind the grip (because it's a friggin RIFLE!) he wouldn't have been able to do a real Weaver hold. But even "Weaver-oid" would have helped.

BGutzman
March 16, 2011, 10:09 PM
He got what he had coming... Bet he will remember that lesson.

orionengnr
March 16, 2011, 10:28 PM
Doesn't look like an exceptionally high-powered rifle. I mean, it's not a .577 T-Rex, right?

Can't quite identify the rifle (lousy video). It's not a lever-action .30-30, not a bolt action .30-06--what is it?

Regardless, I think he owes his firearms instructor a kick in the pants. Ooops...he obviously didn't have one.

Oh well, I didn't have any formal instruction in motorcycle riding when I started around 1970. Somehow I survived, and I'm still riding, 66 bikes and 41 years later.

But in it's wake have come a number of scars/broken bones/aches and pains (and a bunch of damaged/destroyed bikes) to show for it...

Guess in many things in life, you get what you pay for. :D

kraigwy
March 16, 2011, 11:00 PM
Looks like a red X to me.

finz50
March 16, 2011, 11:08 PM
LMAO.....what a moron! Got what he deserved......what'd he think was gonna happen......You can't fix stupid!

Bamashooter
March 16, 2011, 11:56 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ couldnt have said it better. wow!!!

Bullet94
March 17, 2011, 12:35 AM
I wonder how he holds a handgun?:confused:

AirForceShooter
March 17, 2011, 05:54 AM
it was hard to watch. You knew it was coming.
Sort of like looking at a train wreck.
You can't not watch

AFS

TailGator
March 17, 2011, 07:57 AM
Probably a politician.

teeroux
March 17, 2011, 08:11 AM
Ya know it takes a really special person to look at the recoil pad on a rifle and think its to protect your face.:p

Seaman
March 17, 2011, 09:00 AM
Wonder what the fool told the doctor when he went to have his jaw wired.

If one wants to shoot a rifle unconventionally, the best way is simply shoot from the hip, surpringly accurate too.

Once saw an archival film of a lady who put her back to the target, put a rifle over one shoulder and with the other hand held a mirror, and shot bull's-eyes...her name...Annie Oakley.

Vanya
March 17, 2011, 10:53 AM
Ouch.

That is hard to watch, and one of the purely dumbest things I've seen in a while. I'll give the man credit for one thing, though: he did manage to keep the rifle pointed downrange after it hit him.

Given the body language before he pulled the trigger -- the dramatic gestures and those strange little hops -- one wonders how much alcohol he had on board.

Daugherty16
March 17, 2011, 02:44 PM
This guy is an orthodontists wet dream.
"ah, Dr. so&so, can i get some dentures made?"
"We'll want to take a mold of your teeth first"
"Ah, okay, let me pull them out of the butt of my rifle and i'll be right over..."

Amin Parker
March 17, 2011, 02:47 PM
He is such an idiot that he probably finished his box of ammo before calling it a day.

eviltravis
March 17, 2011, 03:01 PM
I don't care what anyone says, that was funny.

aarondhgraham
March 17, 2011, 03:08 PM
Were his last words,,,
"Hey man, hold my beer."

Actually I'm wondering something,,,
Am I the only TFLer who has fired a rifle one-handed?

Shucks fellas,,,
We all did this at least once when we were kids.

I did it with a British .303,,,
What was your rifle?

Aarond

Eagle0711
March 17, 2011, 05:30 PM
Looks like a candicate for " Topshots "

Deaf Smith
March 17, 2011, 05:59 PM
Wonder if he had to push his front teeth back strait after that.

Deaf

Old Grump
March 17, 2011, 06:21 PM
I did it with a British .303,,,
What was your rifle?

Savage bolt action rifle, 22 caliber.

Rifle No 5 Mk I Lee-Enfield No 5 Mk I, (Jungle Carbine) That wasn't a good idea.

M1 Garand, a little heavy but handled it just fine, 200 yard group was really bad.

Winchester 20 gauge shotgun, not hurt but I won't do it again.

The above over 30 years ago.

Mossberg, bolt action. Model 183KE .410. Used #6 shot yesterday because the neighbors cat was on my feeder and it always takes off running if I shoulder a gun. It was a lot easier than shooting my 44 mag or 41 mag.

Tinner
March 17, 2011, 07:35 PM
And his Buddy on camera let him do it.

Glenn Bartley
March 17, 2011, 08:06 PM
I think it was faked. I find it hard to beleive someone, other than those jerks from Jackass, would do something like that to himself.

motorhead0922
March 17, 2011, 08:44 PM
Am I the only TFLer who has fired a rifle one-handed?

I dunno. Is Rooster Cogburn here?

I think it's fake too. I didn't see any evidence the gun was actually fired.

mega twin
March 17, 2011, 09:06 PM
Must not have hurt too bad,he keeps doing it over and over:cool:

BigBob3006
March 18, 2011, 02:28 AM
I don't like to see people get hurt, but I hope that hurt him enough to teach him that if he doesn't know what he is doing, don't do it.

gearhounds
March 18, 2011, 06:57 AM
I have to call shenannigans as well; youtube is loaded with folks shooting rifles/shotguns 1 handed, much less 2.

Daugherty16
March 18, 2011, 10:32 AM
The rifle moves rearward awfully fast. I don't think the gum-chewing shooter could possibly move fast enough to fake this. Nor do i sense his post-shot reaction is phony.

Dude is definitely gonna have an Excedrin Headache - number .30-06.

hondauto
March 21, 2011, 01:26 AM
Looks like Darwins Theory at work.
Seems like stupidity to me.

jgcoastie
March 21, 2011, 01:44 AM
Watch his hands very closely as he "drops" the rifle. He doesn't so much drop it as gingerly set it down. Then notice how long it takes him to pick his left hand up from the rifle after he sets it down....

Now imagine the sequence of events in reverse.

He starts with his hands on his face, back to the camera.
Squats down facing the camera and rifle with right arm across face while getting left hand on forend of rifle.
Starts picking up rifle with left hand and cups it in crook of right arm as he stands up.
Brings rifle butt up to his face (which is turned sideways) and thrusts arms outward quickly while pivoting face towards "target" area (never did see a target)
Holds arms & rifle extended in front of body for a second.
Lowers rifle butt to waist and does that silly hopping thing.
Then, he and his cameraman buddy play the video in reverse and upload it to the interwebs.

Never did see the bolt cycle or casing eject when he "fired" the rifle...

Fake.

M.O.A.
March 21, 2011, 02:15 AM
yes its fake watch it close and you'll see it goes to fast motion when the gun starts coming back

and the barrel kicks down not up like if you where to pull something to you

Capt Charlie
March 21, 2011, 11:52 AM
I concur, fake.

As to how it applies here,...

Tactics? Maybe, if your goal is to get your assailant to die laughing.

Training? Definitely in need. I submit that his instructors should be the actors in the latest Jackass movie ;).

It's been fun, but...

Closed.