PDA

View Full Version : Did a Mini 14 accidentally fire recently at a show?

Ignition Override
March 16, 2011, 01:31 AM
A family member claimed last week that it was brought loaded into a gun show, and nobody checked it.

The .223 round reportedly critically injured the first victim:( and injured one, if not two more people.

Did this really happen, and if so was it a good while ago?

TimW77
March 16, 2011, 01:58 AM
A PERSON pulled the trigger on a loaded Mini 14 and it did what it was told to do by the knucklehead that pulled the trigger on a loaded rifle.

It happened the last weekend of February in Bloomington, IL.

Bamashooter
March 16, 2011, 01:58 AM
From what I read someone picked up a mini-14 off a vendors table and when he put it back on the table it went off. First it went through a wooden post, then it hit 2 men, one in the chest and lodged in the other person. One was treated and released, the other was in critical but stable condition.

When I pick up a gun to look at unless I witness someone check it to see if its loaded its the first thing I do. I dont understand how it was loaded in the first place. He had to have pulled the trigger becouse mini's dont just go off when you put them down. Either was gun safety protocol was not followed.

Sorry. It wasnt this past weekend it was the weekend before.

Golfin Gator
March 16, 2011, 05:31 AM
I have heard from others that, at times, the anti gun nuts will go into a gun show and try to place a round in the chamber, hoping for a negligent discharge.

Bottom line, no matter where you are when you handle a gun, it's loaded. You need to treat it as such.

Kreyzhorse
March 16, 2011, 06:57 AM
This happened a couple of weeks ago. The gun didn't accidently go off. A round might have been accidently left in the chamber but someone intentionally pulled the trigger without checking to see if the gun was loaded or not.

racin
March 16, 2011, 07:25 AM
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/article_0416d7fa-4393-11e0-9cee-001cc4c03286.html

thesheepdog
March 16, 2011, 08:39 AM
The bullet passed through a 4- to 6-inch wooden pole, causing the splinters that injured Mark Vandegraft, went through his father's shoulder and then through Feldkamp's back and out his chest, police said.

That's a .223 for you. I am greatly surprised he lived; I am actually glad as well.

Art Eatman
March 16, 2011, 09:43 AM
Somebody sneaked a round into a Win 94 which I had on my table at a gunshow in Austin, Texas. A guy picked it up and racked the lever--and a big Uh-oh. At least he had not cocked the hammer to test the trigger.

I strongly favor tie-wraps on the guns on the tables, ever since that time.

Or: All semis should be locked open or blocked. Bolt actions should have the bolts fully open. Revolvers should have the cylinders opened.

It only takes one idiot...

HiBC
March 16, 2011, 11:24 AM
This goes way beyond "idiot".Stupid is not the same as Evil.
The question is:Is it random psycho evil,or is it agenda driven evil,such as "Never let a crisis go to waste"or "The ends justify the means"
Secretly loading a gun at a gunshow is attempted murder or terrorism.

SmokyBaer
March 16, 2011, 11:38 AM
Secretly loading a gun at a gunshow is attempted murder or terrorism.

I totally agree! Definite malice and ill intent.

stu925
March 16, 2011, 04:20 PM
At the shows around here you won't find a gun that you can actually load or pull the trigger on. All of them are zip tied closed or open depending on the gun and almost all of them have trigger locks on them. Should be a pretty simple matter to find out who put that cartridge in the rifle in the first place. I'm guessing that they should be able to get prints off a fired casing unless it disappeared into the crowd when it went off. Be interesting to see if it was even possible for the guy to check the chamber when he picked the rifle up. I would like to see how this investigation comes out.

Stu

BIGR
March 16, 2011, 06:38 PM
At the shows around here you won't find a gun that you can actually load or pull the trigger on. All of them are zip tied closed or open depending on the gun and almost all of them have trigger locks on them.

That is the same way in my area and the police are always at the front door to make sure the guns are unloaded and tie wrapped. Of course anything can happen after a person walks away. Any person could cut a tie wrap off and load one up. Most genuine safe gun owners are going to abide by the rules and be safe. It is those idiots that want to ruin things for everyone that does crazy things. Antis are not above creating some problem in order to carry on their plight.

10mmAuto
March 16, 2011, 07:52 PM
Clearly because it didn't drop him in one shot its just more evidence that our Military needs to switch back to 7.62 :rolleyes:

younggunfreak
March 16, 2011, 07:57 PM
wow some people, you just never know whats going on in their head

Ignition Override
March 17, 2011, 02:00 AM
My question was meant to address whether an accident involving a gun took place at a show, and my words should have been better chosen.
A family member in Evansville IN heard or read about it.

If what Golf Gator stated actually happens at some gun shows, this would be a very dirty attempt at harming people, and it would be very nice to catch somebody doing that.

Anyway, what a sad situation.

Chinny33
March 17, 2011, 12:08 PM
That's a .223 for you.

unbelievable damage from a 22cal bullet. It drives me nuts when people say the 223 is a weak round. Ive shot deer with it and let me tell you, holy smokes. using a 55gr hollow point, it shattered ribs on both sides and left an exit wound an inch and a half around.

dgludwig
March 17, 2011, 05:07 PM
Quote:
At the shows around here you won't find a gun that you can actually load or pull the trigger on. All of them are zip tied closed or open depending on the gun and almost all of them have trigger locks on them.

That is the same way in my area and the police are always at the front door to make sure the guns are unloaded and tie wrapped.

Same at all the shows I attend. Tie wrapping-and re-tie wrapping after somebody has inspected a firearm-is a hassle but one worth "enduring" if it keeps some jackass from killing or maiming someone.

RdKill
March 17, 2011, 06:55 PM
While placing a cartridge in a rifle at a gun show may have been politically motivated, it's just as likely that politics had nothing to do with it. Some people just have a screw loose, and get off on causing chaos. You have criminals that can't purchase a gun and so lash out to punish those who can and those who won't sell to them...misplaced revenge? There are sociopaths who disassociate setting an accident in motion with committing an actual crime or taking into account the potential victim if any is a real person. Like people who take crack shots at airplanes...thinking they won't really hit it..but what if they do? Likely never to hear about it or be questioned because how could "they" know where the shot came from?

Off topic a bit but another idiot gun show sighting. I used to vend at reptile shows. One time in Raleigh, NC., there was a gun show and reptile show going on in adjacent buildings. I walked outside to get some air and was talking to a cop. I interrupted my own conversation and asked the cop, "Do you have a problem with that?!! I sure do!!" and pointed behind him. He turned around to see what I had a problem with. Some kid about 16 or so was standing in the back of a pick up leaning over the cab, checking out his new scoped hunting rifle by panning it around at a very crowded parking lot..obviously pretending to pop off head shots on folks. The cop said "HOLY SH****" and took off towards the kid to "handle it" ..and I really needed to get back to my table so I just shook my head and left it for the cop to deal with.

Ignition Override
March 18, 2011, 12:22 AM
RDKill:
People who have fired shots at C-130s near bases or on low-level (air drop) training routes for Little Rock AFB or Pope AFB (near "FayetteNam", NC) have been prosecuted.

Jackasses who use laser pointers have caused brief but excruciating pain and blindness to airline pilots during departure or approach. One or two perpetrators might have been caught.

JR_
March 18, 2011, 02:36 AM
From "Golfin Gator": "I have heard from others that, at times, the anti gun nuts will go into a gun show and try to place a round in the chamber, hoping for a negligent discharge."

This is the kind of irrelevant, inflammatory crap that repulses the general public and contributes to the perception of the paranoid "gun nut." Practice good safety and you'll never have to worry about a tree hugging hippie slipping you a load.

HiBC
March 18, 2011, 03:05 AM
JR
Please reread posts 8 and 9.A staff member on this forum experienced intentional loading.
My response asked the question,is it a random psycho,(possible) or is it agenda driven.(possible)
IMO,these are not irrelevent and inflamatory.
I was taught by a leader in the Quality business,J Edwards Deming,the root cause of a problem is always upstream.
Truly,appropriate firearms safety practice is all important,but finding out who does it,who they are connected to,and what the motivation is,is one long term important effort.

JR_
March 18, 2011, 03:54 AM
I appreciate your thoughts, but the anti-gun movement has far more effective means of exposing "gun nuts" than trolling shows and tampering with weapons. As in the cases of VT and Ft. Hood, random tampering falls in the category of ill persons misusing their access to guns. To speculate that legit gun control activists would act to kill gun show attendees is absurd and discredits pro gun supporters.

HiBC
March 18, 2011, 04:04 AM
Example:I do not know the true,full story of who murdered JFK.It may very well have been one lone nut acting on his own.
I do not have the answer,but I do not think it unreasonable or irresponsible to consider there could be another far reaching truth.I think it is naive to dismiss the possibility that we could be very disappointed with the people who have sought power.

m17s_guy
March 18, 2011, 04:31 AM
I appreciate your thoughts, but the anti-gun movement has far more effective means of exposing "gun nuts" than trolling shows

isnt that what the anti gun movement just tried to do in Arizona? deliberately leading a seller at a gun show to believe they would not pass a background check and video taping the sale anyways just to try and pass legislation to get rid of gun show sales?

IMHO there are "nuts" on ALL sides of the fence no matter what the subject matter being discussed is. the point being, that something like a "nut" slipping a round into a rifle laying on a table and walking away is not so far fetched... look at what PETA has done in the past to "rescue" the cats and dogs in our country... and end up euthanizing 80% of those rescues... nuts exist in all discussions

if the person who negligently fired this round had been taught proper weapon handling techniques, and proper safety practices with a weapon, the incident would never have happened....

period...

Art Eatman
March 18, 2011, 08:51 AM
This subject appears to have been adequately covered...