PDA

View Full Version : Olympic arms AR-15

samcro90
March 15, 2011, 09:50 PM
what do you guys think about Olympic arms ar-15s im looking in to buying one and feedback would be great

NESHOOTER
March 15, 2011, 09:57 PM
I have heard that they have experienced some quality issues and may not be as the same quaility of S & W , Bushmaster,Armalite,RRA, Colt, so if your gone to get it buy it at a very good buy... I don't own one for that reason good luck maybe someone else can chime in.

arcticap
March 15, 2011, 10:27 PM
People can have passionate opinions about them both pro and con. What's most important is what you think about it once you check it out. Like the products of most companies, there's probably better and worse made individual guns.
I would suggest to do an advanced search about Olympic Arms guns in the TFL data base and dig into them as deep as you can and hopefully you will discover some of those passionate threads yourself.
Everyone is biased in some way. People have their favorites for a reason. If you like it then buy it. And if you don't then you won't and maybe the next one will be better whether it's an Oly or not.
Generally the brand name of a gun won't stop me from buying it. If I liked what I saw then I would buy it. If I regret buying it then I'll sell it. And if I'm happy with it then I'll keep it.
You're on your own and free to do some of your own research. Those people who are passionate about a product can often verbalize the most persuasive arguments. And they may or may not pop up here as they have in the past. :)

emcon5
March 15, 2011, 11:35 PM
Bought one of their carbine uppers years ago, and it is reasonably accurate and has always run fine.

I did have to send it back because the front sight was not centered properly, but they fixed it without question.

Scorch
March 16, 2011, 12:07 AM
Olympic Arms AR rifles are good rifles, but they got a black eye about 10-15 years ago when they sold cheap cast receiver rifles in an effort to be the lowest cost supplier. That lasted a few years, but you still hear people bashing them. All Olympic Arms receivers are forged now.

They do make their own components, something very few AR "makers" do (many just buy the parts and assemble them), and their barrels are quite good.

I would own one, if for no other reason that one of my shooting buddies has one that shoots pretty darn well and has been trouble-free for 6+ years.

JohnnyBmore
March 16, 2011, 03:32 PM
Olympic makes great AR's !! & they stand by um!!

I like the A1 carbine a lot ,handled more then a few.. great gun for the low price.. http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory101.aspx

Lennyjoe
March 16, 2011, 11:40 PM
I have a 16" PCR with a SUM post ban barrel. Got it back in 2002 and have shot the living hell out of it. Trigger is smooth as silk and the only thing that has gone wrong is a firing pin. Changed it and its still going strong.

It is very accurate as well. I can hit on average 28 out of 30 hits at 200m with open sights. May not mean much to some folks, but for me, thats fun shooting.

I'll never get rid of my Oly as its my go to rifle if I have to defend the fort. ;)

Buzzcook
March 16, 2011, 11:41 PM
Help support the economy of Washington state, buy Oly.

madcratebuilder
March 17, 2011, 06:40 AM
Olympic Arms AR rifles are good rifles, but they got a black eye about 10-15 years ago when they sold cheap cast receiver rifles in an effort to be the lowest cost supplier. That lasted a few years, but you still hear people bashing them. All Olympic Arms receivers are forged now.

^^^^
This!

Oly has never lived down these cheap entry grade rifles they made so many years ago. 90% of the bad things you hear are from people that have never owned one and are just repeating what they read on-line.

That'll Do
March 17, 2011, 04:49 PM
Olympic wouldn't be my first choice, but is better than nothing.

tacticalmedic
March 18, 2011, 04:32 PM
Look at Del-ton. Great guns at a great price. The Oly I had was a jam-o-matic.

JohnnyBmore
March 18, 2011, 05:09 PM
The Oly I had was a jam-o-matic.

What did you , Or rather Olympic do about it ?

madcratebuilder
March 19, 2011, 06:40 AM
The Oly I had was a jam-o-matic.

90%+ of all feed problems are magazine and/or ammo related. Did you contact the manufacturer? Did they resolve the problem?

Jim243
March 19, 2011, 09:57 AM
I don't know, it is hard to live down a bad rep., ask any high school girl. For a few dollars more (not many) I would suggest a Bushy or M&P 15. Their prices are comming down and I would feel more comfortable with one of those. You can find them on sale almost all the time now.

Jim

Lennyjoe
March 20, 2011, 11:14 AM
Mine shoots great and I'll defend my life with it if the time comes.

The choice is yours but Oly is just as good as anything out there.

That's the beauty of the internet, so many inputs but only 1 decision need to be made.....by you.

JRP2
March 20, 2011, 04:19 PM
I live close to where Olympic arms is located, and I own a Rock River. Even the local gun shops said the quality of Olympic is sub par.

That'll Do
March 20, 2011, 04:55 PM
I have to disagree with the statement that Olympic is just as good as anything else out there. It isn't.

Olympic doesn't MPI their bolts, HPT the bolts, the bolts aren't shot peened, the extractor lacks the black insert (and 5 coil spring instead of the 4 coil), and the gas carrier isn't properly staked.

There is nothing wrong with buying a gun that you like, and that you can afford, but you can't compare apples to oranges.

TRaGiK
March 20, 2011, 06:28 PM
How much do you intend on spending on an AR, and what do you intend on doing with it?

If just a plinker and you never intend to do more, buy whatever you want.

If you are going to rely on it for self defense, spend some money.

Oly, delton, dpms, model 1 sales, and several others are the bottom of the barrel AR's. They don't get any cheaper as far as quality goes. Delton is probably the best of all these, but being the best of the worst still isn't good.

Bushmaster, S&W, Rock River, and a few others are mid-tier AR's. S&W is probably at the top of the pile, and from what I hear are pretty decent guns. I had one years ago though, and it was a POS jam-o-matic. Bushmaster comes in second, but takes some work to get it even as good as S&W.

Colt, BCM, Daniels Defense, Spikes Tactical (arguable), Noveske, and a select few more are Tier 1 AR's.

What seperates one group from the next? $50 to $100...Sometimes less. What makes one better than the other? Properly staked gas keys, proper metal used in the barrel's, correct buffer, correct tolerences, chrome lined barrel, etc etc.

I recently built a BCM AR for right at $1050. I could have done it probably $150 to $200 cheaper if I priced around a lower receiver, LPK, and used cheaper, standard furniture on the gun, and a cheaper rear sight. So for around $850 to $900, you can have a tier 1 AR, which is CHEAPER than alot of Bushmasters.

pbratton
March 20, 2011, 06:46 PM
I bought an Oly parts kit back in the beginning of the Clinton era, It has been a flawless performer.

DnPRK
March 20, 2011, 06:48 PM
20 years ago a friend bought an Oly lower receivers at a gunshow and built it up.

Next gunshow, he bought an Oly upper receiver.

The Oly upper would not fit the Oly lower without filing down the aft end of the Oly upper.

Since that time, I've stayed away from Olys.