PDA

View Full Version : Baretta 687EELL

williamd
March 15, 2011, 06:25 PM
Just picked up a used set. 30" trap bbls and 28" skeet (ported) plus a full set of Kolar tubes, all cased (shoud have wheels!). Very nice gun ... but it has a plastic, recoil absorbing stock which does not turn me on. The stock has a very nice wood grain look, but .... Anyone have or know where I can get a nice wood stock?

oneounceload
March 15, 2011, 06:31 PM
Rich Cole in Maine is THE guy for Beretta stocks and repairs - better and faster than Beretta itself

https://colegun.com/

williamd
March 15, 2011, 06:42 PM
Thanx, emailed Cole.

publius
March 15, 2011, 07:21 PM
Very nice gun. I had no idea they offered the EELL with anything but high grade walnut.

williamd
March 15, 2011, 08:56 PM
Not sure that the stock is not aftermarket. Bought it used. I have never liked these stocks though some people swear by them. Wish I had the walnut to match the forearm. The plastic stock does have a nice grain and if it was not 'shock mounted' I could live with it.

Cole has all types ... in all price ranges. I have enquired re a butt stock only. I made one for one of my Rem 3200s so a blank may have to do it.

BigJimP
March 16, 2011, 12:08 PM
Cole runs a good shop ....but you should consider a matched set for stock and forend to really maintain the value of that gun ...in my opinon / or I think you might be disappointed in the long run.

Its only money ..../and you've already invested in a nice gun .../ it'd be a shame to not do it right now ...

williamd
March 16, 2011, 08:44 PM
Yes, BigJimP .... but I still have what came on it if I ever decide to sell, so may go for something selling for less that $1500 and make do! Coles has a set of field grade that may do nicely for a mere $600.

hehawboy
March 16, 2011, 09:29 PM
Get a hold of Joel Etchens Thats where I bought my gun if you need a stock he has them joeletchens.com

zippy13
March 16, 2011, 10:19 PM
The plastic stock does have a nice grain and if it was not 'shock mounted' I could live with it.
If your shock absorbing unit is like the other spring and air pressure ones, perhaps you could fit the stock with a fixed "dummy" replacement.

mwar410
March 17, 2011, 06:19 PM
Cole's guns, $900 gun $1200 worth of wood, got to love it. ( 391 i almost had to buy )

BigJimP
March 17, 2011, 06:28 PM
Cole and Etchen both run very good / reputable shops ....replacement stocks are expensive ...and the wood needs to be aged and dried properly ...and I think they price their stocks competitively.

Replacing a stock / with a higher end custom stock ...isn't a cheap proposition ....if you want it done right .

zippy13
March 17, 2011, 07:31 PM
There's a significant price difference between factory and custom wood. Since you're in SoCal, why not head over to Pacific Sporting Arms (http://www.pacificsportingarms.com/index.htm), in Azusa. They're a Beretta dealer and can probably order the exact wood you want.

mwar410
March 18, 2011, 06:18 AM
I would stay away from a set of field stocks, too much drop for a competition gun. You'll have hundreds in adjustable combs, and recoil pads.

williamd
March 20, 2011, 01:41 PM
zippy13 - Thanx .. twice ..

"If your shock absorbing unit is like the other spring and air pressure ones, perhaps you could fit the stock with a fixed "dummy" replacement."

And, have emailed the folks in Azuza. I have talked with them about my Perazzi MS80 and they are good.

You list as SoCal. I am in Temecula. A life member at Miramar (SDSSA) ... for all the good that does me now.

zippy13
March 20, 2011, 02:05 PM
williamd

PM sent

williamd
March 25, 2011, 01:32 PM
"Replacing a stock / with a higher end custom stock ...isn't a cheap proposition ....if you want it done right ."

Yep, been there, done that. Have made a few myself after paying lots for a blank. Last for one of my M3200 trap guns.