PDA

View Full Version : New to shotguns

osallent
March 14, 2011, 06:38 PM
I just bought a Remington Express Magnum with a 30 inch barrel from a friend for $225 USD. The shotgun is literally brand new, he has only put 125 shells through it in 5 occasions that he took it trap shooting, and decided to sell it to buy a semi-automatic Remington.

I have never owned a shotgun in my life (I am into curio/relic rifles and modern revolvers) and know literally nothing about shotguns. I kind of bought it there on the spot on a whim. Did I do ok? The shotgun is in almost-mint condition and he even threw a carrying case and something he calls a modified choke (whatever that is :confused: ).

I want it for trap shooting since my friends go do that every weekend and I want to join them, and also hoping to eventually get a hunting license for turkey hunting.

Did I do well in buying this shotgun? :confused:

k511
March 14, 2011, 06:51 PM
In my openion you paid too much, around here you can find the express model brand new for 199.99 with the wood stock. at the local gun shop they are selling there used express models for 120-150... I paid 200 for my wingmaster model with 18 and 28 inch barrell used.... I would go talk to your buddy

P.s. make sure that there is a choke tube in the end of the barrel before you shoot it, most remingtons come with a modified choke, if he gave you one with the carry case then there may not be one in the barrel

oneounceload
March 14, 2011, 06:52 PM
and he even threw a carrying case and something he calls a modified choke (whatever that is

Yes, that is fine, but if you have NO idea what this is about, you need to do a LOT of reading on shotguns, trap, etc.......

Good luck in your trap shooting

rottieman33
March 14, 2011, 06:55 PM
For $225 you got a nice gun for trap or hunting

osallent
March 14, 2011, 06:57 PM
I've never even seen what a trap field looks like, but a few of my friends are into it, so it would give me a good excuse to be more sociable and spend more time with my friends. I'm sure I'll like it when I try it. I spend a lot of time at the range already with my rifles and revolvers, so another shooting sport sounds kinda interesting.

And yes, I have a lot of learning to do as far as shotguns are concerned. Never even thought of owning one until a few weeks ago.:D

BigJimP
March 14, 2011, 07:05 PM
I think you did ok .... and welcome to our side of the shooting hobby ...

As you get involved in any or all of the clay target games ...Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, etc ...focus on having a good time, the safety rules, etc ...and you'll be fine. Hopefully your buddies will help you out a little ...and cut down the learning curve a little.

Many of us that have been shooting clays for a long time ....are also into the more tactical side of handguns (or at least I am) in terms of revolvers and semi-auto handguns at least..... Welcome !

youngunz4life
March 14, 2011, 07:25 PM
ask him if he noticed any irregularities with and/or after his 125shells thru this firearm. It is obvious you trust him with the amount of usage this shotgun has seen, so it is a good idea to make sure there is no other reason why he wanted to get rid of the shotgun besides his ambition for a new semi.

oneounceload
March 14, 2011, 07:27 PM
ask him if he noticed any irregularities with and/or after his 125shells thru this firearm. It is obvious you trust him with the amount of usage this shotgun has seen, so it is a good idea to make sure there is no other reason why he wanted to get rid of the shotgun besides his ambition for a new semi.
Today 08:05 PM

Sorry, but 5 boxes of shells isn't going to tell you squat.............it either works or it doesn't

osallent
March 14, 2011, 07:33 PM
When he sold it to me, we were also in the presence of two other friends of ours that also go shooting trap regularly with him, and both of them confirmed that this shotgun had only been shot 125 times without malfunction (and I believe it, the shotgun looks impeccable). It's a group of my buddies, and they all go out to shoot trap once in a while. I'm hoping to join the group next time they go tap shooting.

The other two just bought semi-auto shotguns and the friend who sold it to me decided he too wanted a semi-auto, so he wanted to get rid of it so he could help fund a semi-automatic shotgun. I personally don't mind the pump action...very classy if you ask me.:cool:

hogdogs
March 14, 2011, 07:42 PM
The shotgun is literally brand new, he has only put 125 shells through it in 5 occasions that he took it trap shooting

Actually the correct word would be virtually not literally...

It is a used gun and if it is an express it would be hard pressed to bring $200 if it were "NEW in box" from a private seller around my area.

Still a decent shooter. And no worry with it getting wear marks and incidental scratches like a "fine gentleman's gun" won't bring down the resale value.

Brent

oneounceload
March 14, 2011, 07:48 PM
When he sold it to me, we were also in the presence of two other friends of ours that also go shooting trap regularly with him, and both of them confirmed that this shotgun had only been shot 125 times without malfunction (and I believe it, the shotgun looks impeccable). It's a group of my buddies, and they all go out to shoot trap once in a while. I'm hoping to join the group next time they go tap shooting.

The other two just bought semi-auto shotguns and the friend who sold it to me decided he too wanted a semi-auto, so he wanted to get rid of it so he could help fund a semi-automatic shotgun. I personally don't mind the pump action...very classy if you ask me

MY point is this - 125 shells is what I put through any of my guns in a short morning at the club - it is neither a bellwether of reliability, nor an indicator of longevity - trap guns are designed to go hundreds of thousands of rounds, so 125 is moot - glad you got basically a new gun - now go shoot 100,000 rounds through it and enjoy yourself

osallent
March 14, 2011, 07:51 PM
So the consensus is that $200 is about the limit for a hardly used Remington Express Magnum...right?

Well, considering I got the carrying case with it and I didn't have to pay the full price in a big box guns store, I feel I did pretty decently. I just googled the shotgun and the cheapest I found for a brand new Remington Express Magnum was $310 USD. So all in all I think I did decently...specially considering I live in South Florida where everything, even guns and rifles, seem overpriced compared to what some of you guys are able to get in your neck of the woods.

I'm off to my first trap shooting event this weekend. I can't wait!!! :D:cool:

oneounceload
March 14, 2011, 07:55 PM
Break it in and have fun - for trap/skeet shooting - go to Dick's and get the Remington 1 oz loads or lighter - no need for 1-1/8 - they beat you to death

Have fun!

youngunz4life
March 14, 2011, 08:15 PM
Sorry, but 5 boxes of shells isn't going to tell you squat.............it either works or it doesn't

it is always possible that there was another reason why he wanted to sell the gun. firearms can still shoot fine and have other issues too, but I see osallent has since mentioned what I was speaking about.

pabuckslayer08
March 14, 2011, 08:29 PM
Thats not a bad price for that gun. Its a good cheap starter gun that works. The chokes he referred to are what screw in the barrel to change the pattern size, they make around 8 different sizes and what he gave you is good for clays and dove hunting, as well as rabbits. For close shots a imp. cylinder is what a prefer while full and extra full get you alot of distance. Just get some cheap ammo and fire away at stuff till you get used to it

mo84
March 14, 2011, 09:26 PM
Sounds like you did ok with the price since you got the case with it also. If it was a good friend I would take his word for it and if it is messed up, you know where he lives. most common chokes are full (small hole) modified(medium hole) and improved(larger hole). the bigger the hole the wider your shot pattern will be and the closer you will have to be to the target. you can pick up more choke tubes from your local gun shop if you want to mess around with them but like previously stated, for skeet shooting the improved should be fine. It wont be long before you love the gun and will want to skeet shoot alot more often. go over the gun, take it apart and clean it and learn as much as you can and have fun shooting.

Dave McC
March 14, 2011, 10:20 PM
Everyone needs an 870, and now you have yours.

Working life is about 250,000 rounds.

Accessories abound, but right now you need ammo( Light 7/8 oz or 1 oz loads) and range time.

Enjoy.....

cordesr1
March 14, 2011, 10:33 PM
For your location the price is average, depending what side of the state you are on just shop around for shells, i was buying 12's at Sports Authrity for around $5.50 a box this summer. I was living down there and shot at Port of the isles every weekend. there are some pretty good guys down there that can teach you alot about the sport if you just ask.

zippy13
March 14, 2011, 10:42 PM
What to do first with your new gun? Nothing!!! First read the Owner's Manual, if you didn't get one with the gun click here (http://www.remington.com/~/media/Files/Owners-Manuals/om_870.ashx).

Check out Remington's Brochure Trap Fundamentals, download a .pdf, by clicking here (http://remington.com/~/media/Files/Brochures/trap_fundamentals_2004.ashx). For information from the Amateur Trapshooting Assn, click here (http://www.shootata.com/Content/General_Info/Trapshooting_Overview.aspx).

osallent
March 14, 2011, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the owner's manual but I got one with the shotgun. I've watched videos on youtube, read up on the owner's manual...and actually managed to disassemble and put back together the shotgun. I thought it would be hard to do, but it is almost as easy as taking apart and putting back together an SKS, AK-47 or a Mosin Nagant.:cool:

Dave McC, it has a working life of 250,000 rounds? Wow...sounds like it will last several decades...maybe even my whole entire life. That is amazing. I would love to have this shotgun still around 30 years from now. It will probably be scratched up by then, but I bet I will still love it since it was my first shotgun. Oh man, now am really exited to get to the range this weekend.:D:D

Cary
March 14, 2011, 11:19 PM
Here is some general information on shotguns and shotshell ammunition from Remington.

http://www.remington.com/~/media/Files/Booklets/shotgun.ashx

Cary

TheKlawMan
March 15, 2011, 01:01 AM
You got a good deal so enjoy it. I put 125 shells through my 870 the first two days I took it to shoot trap. You not only paid about $100 below retail but no sales tax and case!.

osallent
March 15, 2011, 01:34 AM
Well, you know what they say: "This thread is useless without pictures"

This is not the greatest picture since it was done under low light conditions indoors, but here she is. :)

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z248/osall001/38a32c0b.jpg

hogdogs
March 15, 2011, 02:48 AM
How many rounds fit in the mag tube? Looks real short or it has a very long barrel or just the way the pic turned out. By "Magnum" is that the 3" chamber or is it the 3 1/2" capable?

Brent

osallent
March 15, 2011, 03:33 PM
How many rounds fit in the mag tube? Looks real short or it has a very long barrel or just the way the pic turned out. By "Magnum" is that the 3" chamber or is it the 3 1/2" capable?

The shotgun is the 3" chamber. It can house 4 shells, but my friend put a special spring in it to reduce recoil, so it only has room for 3 shells. However, I do have the original spring, so I can always restore it to the original factory configuration.

As you observed though, it is a long barrel, 30 inches in total. Since I want it for skeet shooting and sports hunting, this is a good length. I might eventually spring for a home defense tactical shotgun later, though I do have revolvers and carbine rifles which can serve that function right now if need be.

jhog1
March 16, 2011, 12:32 PM
go to Dick's and get the Remington 1 oz loads or lighter - no need for 1-1/8 - they beat you to death

If your a girly-man :D jk lol ...... with #8 shot the Oz & 1/8 will give him 50 more bb's to hit his birds

oneounceload
March 16, 2011, 01:23 PM
the Oz & 1/8 will give him 50 more bb's to hit his birds

And according to the 10X recoil calculator, all other things being the same - only changing the amount of shot - the recoil differences are:

1-1/8 - 17.87

1 - 14.58 - 22% less

7/8 - 11.67 - 53% less

3/4 - 9.05 - 97% less

Something to think about as you start to grind out target after target - that's with using an 8.25# gun, 1200 fps, and a wad and powder charge the amounts are listed remaining unchanged

The amounts are recoil in ft/lbs.

zippy13
March 16, 2011, 03:41 PM
…the Oz & 1/8 will give him 50 more bb's to hit his birds
Many trap clubs have shot restrictions with #7-1/2s being the maximum size permitted, and BBs are overkill for target loads.

bailey bud
March 17, 2011, 01:56 PM
I'd say you have a fair - but not a steal-type deal.

Gun plus choke tube plus case = $225 ---- maybe.

The shotgun is the 3" chamber. It can house 4 shells, but my friend put a special spring in it to reduce recoil, so it only has room for 3 shells.

??? Not quite sure how a spring in the magazine reduces recoil. A counter weight would, though.

3 shells is usually the legal limit if you're in the field hunting. (there's spacers in a lot of firearms to keep them compliant).

With trap shooting, you don't use the magazine, anyway - so it doesn't really matter, much.

Magazine capacity is important if you have defensive applications in mind.

I have a Wingmaster - a little nicer than the 870 express. It's great at the range. Enjoy it - and don't worry about the price you paid.