PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the Benelli m3 Convertible

anthony6727
March 10, 2011, 11:30 PM
Hey Everyone,

I am considering getting a Benelli m3 convertible. I really want a dependable shotgun that can fire quickly when needed, but have the dependability of a pump. From my understanding, a semi in rugged conditions can be more prone to having issues than a pump. In a rugged situation, my hope is that by having the option of the pump, you can revert back to that mode if the semi starts giving you issues ( doesn't load property, etc.) Has anyone had any experience with the m3? Or maybe I should just invest in a quality semi like the m4? Again, the purpose of this gun is home defense, but I am hoping for a semi that can take rugged conditions if I am ever put in a situation where i may not be able to maintain it as much as I'd like to. ( Natural disaster, etc)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Ac1d0v3r1d3
March 14, 2011, 11:18 AM
If you're only considering the semi because of the perceived ability to shoot more quickly I believe that the solution is to practice with your pump.
With not a LOT of practice I can unload my HD shot gun (7 rounds) in less than 2 seconds. Not horribly accurate but good enough in the confines of my apartment.
That being said, I'd love a Benelli convertible. They're seem pretty awesome. There must be a reason why there aren't too many companies putting them out?

macsters
March 14, 2011, 01:00 PM
i think any ability to be more "rugged" as a pump is lost in the complexity of having to make it convertible.

with that said, semi auto's have come a long way in recent years. the perceived decrease in reliability has been pretty much taken care of. semi auto shotguns have replaced pump action for use in combat (in dusty, dirty environments) by US infantry, which indicates that it is certainly possible to make a reliable semiauto shotgun. if the things were breaking left and right, they would not be in use.

in any case, if your only reason for wanting the pump action is its perceived increase in reliability, you would be wasting your money. just buy a normal semiauto, or if you are still really concerned about longevity, buy a pump only gun. the mossberg 500 is a personal favorite.

egor20
March 14, 2011, 01:08 PM
The only time I've ever used the pump on mine was to make sure it worked, I consider it "insurance" and that's it. I keep it as a house gun so no, it never gets dirty, or dusty (just a few down feathers now and again). Just remember it does violate the KISS principle, but its light years ahead of the old SPAS12.

dawico
March 14, 2011, 01:31 PM
From what I understand, if the auto doesn't feed properly on the M3, you have to clear it to switch to pump. Say the auto doesn't chamber a shell, you can't just switch to pump and ram it home. This is my understanding of how it works, and why I personally wouldn't buy it.

Speaking from experience with Benelli shotguns, the autos I have had have been excellent. I currently own a SBEII, and it feeds everything without changing or adjusting anything. The Nova tactical and field guns are great, rugged, ergonomical, and well designed. The M4 is a great gun, but for the price, I had some cycling issues with cheap field loads and it is heavy. Now, it is a defense gun so I give it credit for not being great with low power field loads. My SBEII cycles them perfectly BTW. The M4 is a heavy gun, but that comes with being overbuilt and heavy duty. It just didn't feel good to me, so it left.