PDA

View Full Version : .270 Win M1 Garand

CorditeTonight
March 7, 2011, 06:15 PM
Dose anyone have a Garand that has a new .270 barrel? if so what loads function it in. What other calibers have you shot/seen. I know about .308 Garands but I have seen several different calibers. I have a Garand I'm fixing to re barrel and wanted to know if anyone had experience in calibers other than .30-06.

GeauxTide
March 7, 2011, 09:46 PM
That would be a negative. The 270 operates at higher pressure and is designed to be used with slow burning powder. You'd do better with a new BAR.

CorditeTonight
March 7, 2011, 11:37 PM
I'm not asking if they make the barrels, I know they do. Fulton Armory sells them and I'm sure there are other places as well. I was asking if anyone here has one. Yes there is a differences in max pressure (.270 Win 52000 CUP vs .30-06 50000 CUP) nothing says you should load to max pressure. I could always get a adjustable gas plug but I would like to hear from someone who has shot or owned one.

younggunfreak
April 3, 2011, 11:21 AM
nope

BombthePeasants
April 3, 2011, 12:52 PM
I would like to hear from someone, too, so I hope you get some responses that are positive. I'd also like to piggyback onto this thread, and see if anyone has built an M1 with a .243 barrel, I'd be REAL interested in one of those.

dewartt
April 22, 2011, 12:04 AM
yaaa, someone with the same idea as me.lol. yes they make barrels for that cal and yes it is a higher pressure but i dont know ppl that run max psi in a semi anyways. also id like to know who might know WHO makes the bar mag conversion for the .30-06 garand or similar coversion so it will hold more than 8 rds.

doofus47
April 23, 2011, 11:03 AM
If you're not obsessed with wood and history, buy an FAL. I had a friend who put a .270 barrel on his FAL b/c he could adjust the gas on the fly. Maybe you could find a Garand in .308 and call it good.
Maybe I'm wandering a bit. If so, ignore me. Good luck with your search.

EDIT: Sorry, double-checked with the friend and he put a .260 barrel on.
my mistake. Hope I didn't start another internet myth.

Longdayjake
April 23, 2011, 12:14 PM
a .270 wont go into a FAL.

Also, putting a .270 into a garand is sacrilege. It won't be able to do anything that your .30-06 will.

HiBC
April 23, 2011, 01:53 PM
I have no personal experience with the conversion.When the long op rod of the Garand is subjected to too much pressure at the gas cylinder,it bends.
This will happen even when breech pressure is safe.
The quicker burning 4895 range powders work well in a 30-06 Garand.I am guessing it would be difficult to get the performance that makes a 270 a 270 with quick burning rifle powders that give an appropriate pressure at the gas cylinder.You may end up with a very docile .270 that will not accept factory loads.

blu97
April 23, 2011, 02:19 PM
Saw one sell on GB in 7X57

roklok
April 23, 2011, 03:18 PM
I have seen one in person chambered for 7mm-08, but have no experience shooting it.

Slamfire
April 23, 2011, 05:28 PM
A 270 and a Garand Gas system?

I am not saying it can't be done, but someone is going to have to figure out the port pressures and total amount of gas moving into that fixed gas system.

Gas systems that are adjustable, like the FAL, can be tweaked, but not the Garand system. All you have is one gas port and someone has to figure out if the port location and size is appropriate for the 270 pressure curve.

HiBC
April 23, 2011, 06:23 PM
It is your rifle,and you can do things your way.If you don't mind,I will offer you something more to consider.
I assume you want to convert because you would prefer the .270 as a hunting round.That is it's own whole thread,has been debated for decades,and I'll just leave it alone.Your preference is reason enough.
You can hunt with a Garand.It would be fun.In many states,you can only have the modified 5 rd clips with you,and it is a touch heavy.You CAN hunt just fine with a Garand.Some might say that is not the sweet spot for Garand use.
What you might check into,is the CMP/Vintage Service Rifle/Garand competition shoots.
I suggest your Garand would be very happy there.kraigwy is involved in such a shoot coming up,in Newcastle,Wyo.Look under "Live Fire Excersizes"
I believe,to be legal in the match your rifle would need to still be a 30-06,maybe a 308.
You might look at Kreiger/Criterion barrels for your Garand.

Old Grump
April 24, 2011, 01:13 PM
change the gas plug to compensate for the pressure difference and you have a lighter faster bullet in a flatter trajectory. Doable but for the cost of a new barrel and configuring it to a Garand it would be better in my opinion to go with previous suggestion of buying a BAR. I have one in 30-06 and one in .308 and love them both but if I were to make another conversion I think I would go the other direction and make the next one 8MM. I am fond of that 32 caliber bullet and I think it would be easier to make up the lower pressure reloads for it.

Rob228
April 24, 2011, 01:32 PM
I would like to hear from someone, too, so I hope you get some responses that are positive. I'd also like to piggyback onto this thread, and see if anyone has built an M1 with a .243 barrel, I'd be REAL interested in one of those.

This got me really curious too. I found a few M1A's in .243, and while some may consider that sacrilege, it has me re-evaluating some budget items. I figure I've got a tremendous stockpile of .243, two rifles already in the same caliber, it saves me from having to buy .308. Now to sell it to the wife...

doofus47
April 24, 2011, 08:46 PM
a .270 wont go into a FAL.

Yep, too long by spec. I retract and apologize for passing along unconfirmed data passed along from conversation. Generally, my buddy is a solid source. I'll double check with him to make sure I didn't mis-hear. I'm probably the weak link in this chain.

Apologies.

Moderator, feel free to delete my original entry for the sake of accuracy.