PDA

View Full Version : I need a good 2 3/4 inch 12 ga round for turkey any suggestions.

samcro90
March 1, 2011, 05:17 PM
i want to hunt turkey with my o/u and can only chamber up to 2 3/4 inch shells and was wondering a good load for turkey hunting

rottieman33
March 1, 2011, 05:35 PM
First I would find out what shot size your State allows. I use #5 shot

pabuckslayer08
March 1, 2011, 06:45 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=211990

Its meant for Pheasant but its the best 2 3/4 high brass to buy

Doyle
March 1, 2011, 06:56 PM
With "only" a 2 3/4" load, you need to make sure you know EXACTLY where the center of that pattern is and how far out it is still effective. The only way to do that is to pattern your gun on paper.

Creek Henry
March 1, 2011, 09:54 PM
Fiocci had a #5 1.5 oz load that worked well for me. Remington used to have a 2x6 duplex that patterned well in my Winchester... but I haven't seen them around for a while.

SCBondsman
March 1, 2011, 09:54 PM
If money is "no object" I'd look at the Hevi-Shot loads.

#5's are my preferred shot as well. I get the best of both worlds when compared to 4's or 6's. Little more knock down power compared to 6's and more shot density as compared to 4's.

IMO rottieman33 is on the money. It all depends on what your gun handles best.

GDCooper
March 1, 2011, 10:49 PM
If money is "no object" I'd look at the Hevi-Shot loads.

#5's are my preferred shot as well. I get the best of both worlds when compared to 4's or 6's. Little more knock down power compared to 6's and more shot density as compared to 4's.

I'm in total agreement EXCEPT that HeviShot shouldn't be "optional" for you since you have to shoot 2 3/4", especially not for financial reasons. Don't know how many tags you're allowed where you're hunting but regardless you should only be using one shell/bird, so that's not big money.

And you owe it to the bird, to do everything possible to make a clean kill. Turkeys are tough birds, and a wounded bird is almost always a dead, but lost bird.

Inhimwelive
March 1, 2011, 11:45 PM
I use to shoot the Remington premiums..You could buy 25 for about $10 now they discontinued them and you have to buy the turkey loads at more then twice the price. I patterned a lot of the turkey loads and got pretty poor patterns. So now I shoot the Remington Nitro Mags..#6 shot...

SCBondsman
March 2, 2011, 09:45 AM
I agree and disagree GDCooper.

Disagree: You can't buy just one shell. At $19 - $27 per 5, that's pretty expensive since you need to pattern the gun to ensure a clean kill with one shot.

Agree: A one shot, clean kill is a must!

It’s all about a good, dense pattern and knowing the effective range of the load you choose.

12 more days til turkey season!!!

jimbob86
March 2, 2011, 11:09 AM
You don't need "Turkey Loads", 3" magnums (or 3 1/2"!!!), large shot sizes or any of that crap to kill a turkey. Folks that say this are of the same ilk that say you need a 300 WinMag or a 7STW to hunt whitetail. Folks selling all this stuff spend big bucks on marketing to perpetuate the belief in this BS so people will buy it, thinking they can buy success.

Here's what you NEED:

1.-A shotgun choked so that it will put a dense (no turkey head sized gaps) pattern of shot out to the range you consider your max. Large shot = fewer pellets = more gaps. I use 6's and a full choke to 40 yards.... my daughter's 20 guage works better with 7 1/2 full choke (30 yards max).... and aim for the head: those feathers will shed shot like rain. The head and neck are fairly fragile and vital to life. A single #8 pellet to the cervical spine from 30 yards is lights out. A 3" Magnum load of #2's to the body at 30 yards is a lost bird.

2.-Either a lot of luck, some luck combined with a bit of scouting, or a call and some measure of skill with it to get the birds into effective range. Decoys help. They don't have to be expensive- even a black trash bag partially obscured by weeds looks turkey-ish from a distance. I carry a collapsible Jake, a couple of collapsible hens in a black trashbag .... 4 bird set-up that cost less than patterning 3 brands of "Turkey Loads".

3.-Camoflage of some sort. Turkeys (like most birds) see in color and catch movement well. They will see you if you don't blend in. This does not have to be the latest and greatest- I've killed more turkeys wearing my old BDUs and GI issue bug headnet than my 150 dollar camo raingear. Decoys will help you hide in that the birds' attention will be on the dekes, and not you.

4.-The last thing is time spent productively: Scout. Know where the flocks roost, where they go for water, where the hens nest...... No time? How about all the time you have spent on the internet asking what special load and gun you need to kill a turkey? 12 guage heavy game loads work.

Get to know your landowner/farmer. He knows the birds' habits. Get a call. Practice. Have a plan. Get up earlier than the birds. You have a shotgun and a 3 pound brain vs. the turkey's 1 oz. brain. Should be a slam dunk.

markj
March 2, 2011, 04:41 PM
I hunt in blue jeans, use a 12 ga with 6 shot in a full choke. Hunter orange vest. Scout em, find their roost, be close at sun up, glass em and watch em go eat, sneak up on em when they are playing after breakfast and kill the best one. Go home and eat it.

Saw some babies just the other day, at 11 days they can fly :) but they are so small it is kinda funny.

We have hundreds of them around my place, I watch them play with the deer in the afternoon. Get to know their movements, they will keep a schedule :)

jimbob86
March 2, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hunter orange vest. Scout em, find their roost, be close at sun up, glass em and watch em go eat, sneak up on em when they are playing after breakfast and kill the best one.

You sure you are not poaching some farmers domestics?

I have pushed turkeys when driving deer to my daughter: the whole flock got within 50 yards of her sitting in front of a large tree in a hunter orange vest, the alarm went up and they flew off in another direction..... she hadn't moved a muscle...... yet you can sneak up on them?

bamaranger
March 3, 2011, 02:57 AM
markj's turkeys are different, we've discussed it before.

A 2-3/4" full power 12(1-1/4 oz or more of shot, a short mag will take what....about 1.5 oz or more of shot?) will certainly take a turkey at turkey ranges. I switched from #6 to high velocity #5's a few years ago, and if I HAD to hunt w/ a 2-3/4 gun, I'd shoot it a good bit and see what it liked and gave me turkey killing patterns to 35-40 yds. I've had good luck with the Win Supreme load, high velocity, lead, but I'm not sure if they make a 2-3/4 in shell or not. The space metal shells are said to be great shakes, but leads always worked for me at appropriate ranges. Guys around here will buy a box of 10 and swap them back and forth till they find a load they like. Found my go to load from some shells a guy swapped me.

But I'd test it on paper for sure. I hunted with a guy in AR who's 3" gun would shoot tighter patterns with a 2-3/4" mag than a 3 inch shell.

Let me leave you with this: Turkey hunting is not about getting 10 more yards range from your gun, it's about getting the turkey 10 yards closer.

SCBondsman
March 3, 2011, 03:58 PM
Wasn't this about the best shell for the gun?:confused:

The gun I use shoots 3" #5 Winchester Supreme's with the best pattern out to just a hair over 50 yds.

It's chamber for 3.5" but the shell above and my gun just like each other. Not Federal, Remington, Winchester Supreme Elite and so on.

bamarange is right, it's about getting. It's also making sure you know your gun and the effective range for a clean kill.

samcro90, you also want to screw in the tightest choke you have or buy one if you desire.

Best advice, start shooting!

The closest I killed a bird last year was at 8 paces and the furthest was 47 yards.

I've got a Long Tom that a friend gave me this year. It's a 2 3/4 chambered gun and about 70 years old. So far Winchester Super X #6's shot the best out of 3 other brands.

Summa gun kicks! Love to kill a bird w- it.

markj
March 3, 2011, 03:58 PM
You sure you are not poaching some farmers domestics?

Ha thats a good one. No we stalk game, as in the old days. When we were kids we learned how to sneak up on things. Indians used to do it, pilgrims used to do it. Get a Iowa tag and I will be glad to take you out. But you best come a week early so I can see if you can be quite enough for this kind of hunting.

Same wild turkeys as in any part of the world. Besides I live out here and see them every day, I know their movements, where they are in the morning and where they are in teh afternoon. City livin just dont give a guy that level of awareness on wild game.

Let me leave you with this: Turkey hunting is not about getting 10 more yards range from your gun, it's about getting the turkey 10 yards closer :) or getting 10 yards closer yourself.

I dont try to get a turkey to come to me, isnt 100% fool proof, find em, and sneak up on them, use creeks, tall grass whatever there is, dont make any noise cause they can hear real good.

Saw a flock of pullets, they are getting big, 4 weeks they look like full adults. 11 days old they can fly. Only bird like that, Ben Franklin was so impressed he wanted them to be the national bird.

I will take the camera and see if Ican take a pic of one huge flock that plays in my back pasture every afternoon about 3:00 :)

We also filled everydeer tag, lots of game in the Loess Hills area.

Place down the way is for sale, 3 story brick house, outdoor in ground pool 20 some acres, outbuildings and a cattle area. Beats city living by a whole lot.

GDCooper
March 4, 2011, 02:02 AM
Same wild turkeys as in any part of the world. Besides I live out here and see them every day, I know their movements, where they are in the morning and where they are in teh afternoon.

Turkeys DO pattern, about the only way to hunt them in the fall and they can be hunted that way in the spring too, instead of calling. I'm skeptical of anyone being truly able to stalk a flock of turkeys, but if you can I congratulate you for your talent.

3" won't give any more range than a 2 3/4", nor will Hevi-shot. But the 3" should put more hits on the essential head-neck kill zone, at least all guns that I and hunting associates do. Maybe yours is unique, pattern it before hunting so you know. All that I've seen produced significantly fewer hits on head/neck with 2 3/4" shells, shooting extra-full chokes.

Since the OP is limited to 2 3/4", I think Hevi-shot is advisable to maximize the hits that are achieved--they provide somewhat better penetration than good old lead. Turkeys are tough, a single lucky pellet can take out their brain but it's advisable to put a dozen or more into the head/neck to drop them on the spot--you sure as heck aren't going to run down a wounded bird. Same principle as selecting shot size: #6 produces more hits but less penetration, #4 better penetration but fewer hits: and #5 is JUST right, for me. 2 3/4"will produce fewer hits, Hevi-shot better penetration, so.

Hevi-shot IS ridiculously expensive. But I wouldn't burn a box patterning my gun, use any cheap crap for that, and once you are "on", shoot a couple of Hevi-shot to ascertain they pattern the same as the cheap stuff or adjust accordingly. Mine all do pattern the same, so patterning and two birds takes at most 3 shells/year, but once you know how Hevi-shot patterns compared to ordinary shot you don't need to waste one patterning every year.

My guns are all 3" chambers so I shoot 3" lead, not Hevi-shot. But 2 3/4" is less than ideal, so make up for it in any way that you can. Another situation where size DOES matter.

SCBondsman
March 4, 2011, 11:31 AM
He's holding out on us on how he really does it GDCooper.

I can tell.

He's got an ivisibility cloak and doesn't want us to get one too! :D

Is your name Harry Potter by chance? :)

oletymer
March 4, 2011, 01:00 PM
I load a box of 1 3/8 number 5 shot for my brother every year or two. He always gets his birds with that load.

markj
March 4, 2011, 04:51 PM
He's holding out on us on how he really does it GDCooper.

Yeah, :) holding out.....

Here is a day in a turkeys life, I study them close.

Drop off teh roost, stretch, walk a little gather up the kids and head for the food plot. Eat, watch out, eat some more, then go sit for 30 min or so digest the food. Warm afternoons (just needs to be sunny) they play and chase each other. I use this time to sneak up on them while they are playing they dont watch so good. Last one I shot was 15 feet, he came around a tree chasing a female, he skidded to a stop wings spread out, beak open eyes wide like a Oh Sh!t what is that, then bang dead turkey. Go home and prepare it.

My cousins would make fun of you, well they really do make fun of white guys and the way they hunt :) they live on the Omaha res, look into the hunting there, for a fee they will send you out with a guide that will lead you to a game of your choice. Many deer are on walls theuout America came from that park Black Elk state park.

Oh, you guys walk wrong the game can hear you miles away, then lets talk about how you smell...... try to walk toe to heal and not all toed out, wear knee high mocs so youi can feel what you are walking on. Thats all i am gonna say, you gots to learn it yourself or not at all.

I use a 2 3/4 winchester number 6 shot in a full choke out of my 11-87.
Usually walk like 300 yards in late afternoon for my turkey behind my house.

pabuckslayer08
March 4, 2011, 05:47 PM
I agree a pro could stalk a turkey with no issues. They are just a animal and so are we, we just have to be better. I for one call turkeys to me when hunting them but when scouting ive walked up within slingshot distance. Also turkeys in thick brush wont fly, they try to hide. Just push them to a dense area, let them chill for a few minutes to a hour then sneak up on them and its no problem to take one. I did this last year in deer season just to see if I could take one, wernt allowed to take one with the bow but found out I could have, after about a hour I flushed them to a ravine thats real thick, circled around without them knowing and could draw back at 25 yards and take one no problem. Its really fun to do, makes you feel like a indian hunting to survive

markj
March 7, 2011, 05:06 PM
Or just open the car door and grab one.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110307/NEWS01/703079947#turkey-trotters-foul-up-traffic

Last week was a whole flock, traffic was at a stand still for awhile on 68th and Dodge st, right by UNO campus :)

We have an over abundance of wild turkeys in this area. Flocks like I never saw beforee. Hundreds of birds in my area alone. In these hills it is easy to sneak on them, lots of ravines, trees, scrub brush to use as cover.

Years ago folks laffed at Dad when he said he could get a limit on wild pheas and not take a gun. Well he shows up with a brown paper bag, rips it open and 3 roosters (cocks for the proper gents) were flying around the place. We taught our dog to catch them cause we were not allowed to use guns.
So 10 years ago I trained a dog to do the same, it works, I often had a limit on wild pheas without any birdshot in em :)

shortwave
March 8, 2011, 10:43 PM
I've used #4,5,6 and 7 shot. Depends on what my shotgun patterns best.

Take the time to pattern your shotgun. Use which one yours patterns best.

Superhouse 15
March 8, 2011, 11:41 PM
I use Federal ammo with Flite Control wads. It really keeps a lot of pellets on target. I shoot the 2 3/4 just because I'm lazy and don't like the recoil of the bigger magnum loads.

jhog1
March 9, 2011, 11:50 AM
We taught our dog to catch them cause we were not allowed to use guns

I'm allowed to use a gun but my dog caught a pheasant 3 yrs ago and a grouse last year

markj
March 9, 2011, 05:40 PM
I'm allowed to use a gun but my dog caught a pheasant 3 yrs ago and a grouse last year

I was 6 or 7 :) Dad kept the 410 locked up so we used his dog :)

I had a female shorthair would catch game if it didnt flush when I got to her. She would only point the roosters, guys wouldnt belive me, we would plant 5 or 6 hens and 1 or 2 roosters, she would nose right on by and go to the rooster and lock up tite.

We take hunting seriously, the idea is to put game on the table. I dont hunt for fun, I hunt to work my dogs and eat the game we get, aint got time to play tv games and such. Got work to do so I dont give up days and days to get one or two turkeys.

My cousins say hunt like us or you may just go hungry tonite cause we aint sharing. Thats tough love :)

Recoiljunky
March 9, 2011, 05:54 PM
Depends where you live I use 4 steel shot because almost everywhere is wetlands where I live. Along with the ability of being able to use the mod choked shottys in the collection.

Best of luck
Steve

added: for Florida hunters
you can no longer use any shot larger than 2
http://myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/turkey/

shortwave
March 16, 2011, 10:35 AM
Okay, after reading this thread I tried using the dogs. For the life of me, I can't seem to get 130lbs. of German Shephard or 20lbs. of Pomeranian loaded in the shotgun.

Sorry fella's couldn't resist :o

markj
March 16, 2011, 04:32 PM
I can't seem to get 130lbs. of German Shephard or 20lbs. of Pomeranian loaded in the shotgun.

Ya need a bigger gun :)

Just bought a new pup, is close to NY tho :(

shortwave
March 16, 2011, 05:21 PM
Just bought a new pup...

Don't try to load the pup in a shotgun :eek:.

What kind of pup did ya get ?

markj
March 17, 2011, 03:22 PM
What kind of pup did ya get ?

Another German Shorthair. Hope she dont want me to register my guns or sumething crazy like that :)

mpd61
March 17, 2011, 06:34 PM
You DON'T need 3" or 3.5" magnums.

I shoot turkeys with a 16 gauge 1&1/4 ounce of #6's full choke. They seem to
die the same as when my brother hits em with his 12 gauge. Just saying
:D