PDA

View Full Version : M1A

fsfty
February 25, 2011, 08:09 AM
Im looking to purchase a new rifle for my collection and I came across the M1A. I know they are really expensive, but I have a nice tax refund coming :). Are they well-built and reliable weapons? Any advice when purchasing one? Thanks.

SmokyBaer
February 25, 2011, 08:38 AM
Love my M1As... Any advice, however, depends on what you wanna do with your rifle. If you want a safe queen collector value type rifle then holding or appreciating it's worth would be primary concern and you'd want to find a great specimen with original USGI parts and a history. If you want a rapid fire red dot close quarter defender then a SOCOM 16 or Scout would do well in stock form or even better with some of the EBR or VLTOR stocks available. If you want an accurate long range target rifle, a Super or National Match rifle is hard to beat out of the box but you can build your own to shoot just as well with a Loaded model or tweaking a Standard by finessing the factory stock and components to dial them in. The JAE stock is a fine example for out of box upgrades to get an excellent shooter without going the glass bedding route.

Regardless, the M1A is a fine platform that has re-emerged as a modern battle rifle in many configurations because of it's reliability and accuracy. In fact, if something just ain't right, Springfield Armory has a lifetime warranty that follows the rifle not just the original buyer. I've always admired them for that. Hope that helps.

gearhounds
February 25, 2011, 08:50 AM
I have a Socom 16 and really like it. Like all battle rifles in 7.62m, it is a bit on the heavy side when compared to a 5.56, but nothing you can't get used to for the extra firepower. The entire M1A family is very robust, reliable, and dependable, and in the past few years, quality magazines are once again more available (Checkmate Industries).

kraigwy
February 25, 2011, 08:55 AM
Reliable???

I bought mine in 1977 (at the outrageous price of $295). It was a standard grade but I started shooting for the Guard and got it converted with Guard Parts and Guard Armors (Gene Barnett himself, of Barnett Barrels).

I've been shooting it every since. Granted I've had to replace a couple shot out barrels and stretched out slings, but thats because I shot it a heck of a lot in the last 30+ years.

http://photos.imageevent.com/kraigwy/posting/websize/M1A%20_1_.jpg

madcratebuilder
February 25, 2011, 08:57 AM
The SA "loaded" model is a good bang for the buck, gives you a NM barrel and SA's version of NM sights. The lifetime SA warranty(any owner) is great as is the customer service if you should need it.

You can use wood, fiberglass or the newer EBR stocks. I think I enjoy my iron sight gun the most, hitting steels at 200yds is not that much of a challenge.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/2M1As.jpg

SR420
February 25, 2011, 11:45 AM
fsfty
Im looking to purchase a new rifle for my collection and I came across the M1A.
I know they are really expensive, but I have a nice tax refund coming .
Are they well-built and reliable weapons? Any advice when purchasing one? Thanks.

They can be very reliable and they can be rather expensive... there is nothing cheap in the M14 world.

If you want a good M1A and a good deal look for a slightly used one with USGI bolt, op rod and trigger group.
If you want to invest in something above and beyond your basic M1A look at a complete LRB rifle or a custom built SEI rifle.

I hope that helps.

JGPena
March 2, 2011, 12:45 AM
Yes they are reliable, well made rifles, USGI or commercial Springfields as well. Get one, you'll be happy with it.