PDA

View Full Version : H&K4 Pistol

Oldspeed
February 13, 2011, 01:10 AM
Ran across an H&K 4 pistol. It has three barrels 22LR -.32ACP - .380 each with their own magazine and recoil springs. Looks like a nice well made little pistols and might be fun to play with the various calibers. Would like to know more about these guns and their history?

mete
February 13, 2011, 08:21 AM
That's a popular European thing. The H&K people came from Mauser ,after the war.Mauser had their HSc and the HK4 was basically a copy of that pistol .The Mauser was reintroduced in the 1970s for a while .When that was discontinued the HK4 was introduced.

PetahW
February 13, 2011, 11:56 AM
FWIW, the "4" in "H&K-4" means it was issued with FOUR different barrels, etc - .22LR, .25ACP, .32ACP, & .380.

IIRC, H&K introduced them in the late 70's, and they were discontinued here by 1984.

James K
February 13, 2011, 02:32 PM
They came with a combination cleaning rod and tool that can be used to turn the recoil plate around for use with the .22 rimfire. The whole thing makes a neat package - the gun with one barrel and magazine is in one box, the other barrels and magazines are in another box.

Jim

32 Magnum
February 13, 2011, 03:27 PM
Harrington & Richardson was the exclusive importer in the mid '60s and early '70s. They were also offered as a stand alone .380/9mmK and as a dual set, .380 and .22. There was also a 100 Year Commemorative issue (100 years of H&R) released in 1971 - had a gold presentation plate on the left side of receiver and some gold filling in stampings. Here's a couple pics of mine - missing the combo tool - but the bolt face can be turned using a small screw driver - also included was a separate .22 extractor for the rim fire cart. I've not fired mine, it is unfired from factory - proof targets were included and numbered to the barrels. I've included a pic of one of the targets - note the date of test fire.

p.s. the '4' was the H&K model number - it had nothing to do with the number of barrels supplied - the single and dual sets were also the Model 4.

gyvel
February 22, 2011, 01:50 AM
The one thing you will want to check is the condition of the recoil buffer. It is a small nylon insert that cushions the blow of the recoiling slide against the frame. They tend to break down after time and need replacement. Numrich used to have them, but I am not sure if they are still available now.

The other thing to look for is a cracked or chipped feed ramp.

Edit: I just checked their website and they are still available:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=75210&catid=8908

Bill DeShivs
February 22, 2011, 02:58 AM
The earliest models also included a .25 ACP barrel.
Hence, the HK "4" moniker.