PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand

Milsurplover
February 12, 2011, 11:09 PM
Hey guys I was thinking about getting an M1 Garand.. I was thinking of a Service Grade.. If any of you have Service Grade M1's how were they in terms of stock condition, metal parts, bore, and things like that. I understand the CMP grade "Service Grade" Is not too great in terms of quality so I know I can't expect much.. I was thinking these would be a great piece of history and a great addition to a collection and refinishing the stock would make a fun little project to kill some time :rolleyes: Can some of these Service Grades be shooters? Or are the bores generally shot out and the metal pitted and the stock cracked?

chasep255
February 13, 2011, 01:10 AM
I got the CMP special grade M1. It was very nice. I think everyone should have at least one M1. The service grade sounds like a fun project to me.

Sport45
February 13, 2011, 01:44 AM
My service grade came out very nice looking after a good cleanup. But that was 10 or so years ago. I can't tell you what they look like now. Poke around on the CMP or Jouster forums and you'll get an earfull on the current condition they're being received.

Ignition Override
February 13, 2011, 03:23 AM
If you have somebody really knowledgeable with you, it might be more rewarding.

I let a friend who is a true marksmen (former military team) pick out mine last August at Camp Perry, and my only request was a good Service Grade.
It's the best gun decision I've ever made. He will be back at the AR matches this summer...:)

It was built in '55 and though it missed the wars, this really helped the metal condition. With nice metal, the minor dings in the dark, dull wood make no difference to me. The bore has no visible flaws, is very bright, and might be a bit lucky.

A friend who left Essen, Germany twenty years ago enjoys shooting it. His late father served in the Wehrmacht in WW2 Finland.

Tim R
February 13, 2011, 05:33 AM
The current service grades coming out of the CMP right now are awsome. It matters not if you order a Springfield or H&R. A service grade means it could be issued for war if need be so they are in good shape. I have 3 Service grades and one field grade. The field grade is about 2 parts from being WWII correct but I hand picked it.

A shooting buddy of mine just got a H&R service grade. The rifle looks like it had been shot little. Great bore, stock was fine and correct. The rifle is worth every cent and then some. Don't delay. Get your order in.

hodaka
February 13, 2011, 06:57 AM
My experience mirrors those above. I bought a CMP Service Grade H&R a few years ago and it shoots fine. It had the CMP hardwood stock that I switched to a Boyd walnut but the CMP stock was fine. You can't go wrong with one.

kraigwy
February 13, 2011, 09:17 AM
You can't go wrong with a Service Grade from CMP. No rifle leaves their store unless it has been gone over, inspected, and made sure they are safe to shoot. It will shoot, and I'd bet you wont be disappointed.

The stock may or may not be dinged up a bit, nothing that can't be cleaned up. However, I like the dinged up stocks, they really don't affect the shoot-ability but I like to set and ponder where those dings came from, what was the shooter doing when the ding got there.

To really appreciate the Garand, take in some CMP GSM (Vintage Military) Matches. The Garand Match is where you'll really learn about the Garand and meet some great people who also love the Garand.

geetarman
February 13, 2011, 09:27 AM
Kraig,

You amaze me with your posts. . .especially on service rifles. Have you ever considered writing a book about the things you have seen?

Geetarman:D

kraigwy
February 13, 2011, 09:51 AM
Actually I am, at the request of my granddaughter, but it will just be for my family and only after I croak.

overland
February 13, 2011, 10:12 AM
I recently got a service grade H&R Garand. It is in very good condition with a muzzle wear of 1 according to the tag. The metal is good, no rust or pitting just some wear to the finish. The stock is clearly marked with the DOD and firing proof marks. Typical nicks and dings, but no cracks. It cleaned up nicely.

christcorp
February 13, 2011, 11:44 AM
I bought a service grade from the CMP about a year and a half ago. It's an H&R. Now, I'm not sure if they are pickier than I am, or if I just got lucky. But they determined that the stock wasn't in good enough shape. So the CMP, before sending it to me, but on a brand new CMP cartouche stock. I personally liked the idea of an original stock, but a free $150 upgrade I'll definitely take.

Also; I've stripped down every part known to man on it. ONLY the bolt is springfield. Everything else is H&R. Every part of the trigger group, barrel, etc... Only the bolt is Springfield. Basically; I received a $950 special grade rifle, for $590 service grade price. So; if I ever decide to replace the bolt, I'll have it re-graded. But personally, I don't buy guns to collect. I buy guns to shoot.

I've even taken this garand hunting. But honestly, I went and bought a "Synthetic" stock, that I put on during hunting, so I wouldn't mess up the wood. I only took it hunting one time. Got a nice mule deer at about 200 yards. The rifle is just a little heavy for real hunting in Wyoming, where we usually have to walk a lot. For ammo; in case anyone cares; I picked up an extra gas plug at a gun show, and drilled a large hole in it. Basically, turned the garand into a bolt action rifle. Manually cycle it after each shot. Yes, I could by something like a schuster plug that is adjustable, but then I'm blowing a half a box of ammo to adjust it. In the hunting world, reality will give you a 2nd shot. Rarely a 3rd. I can cycle a 2nd shot. I do it with all my bolt actions. No difference here. Plus; I don't have to worry about changing ammo. I can buy 150, 180, 200 grain etc... and not have to worry about re-adjusting the schuster plug. For range/target shooting, I use regular M2 Ball GI ammo. But I only hunt with it as a novelty. I have way too many real hunting rifles.

Oldwoodsloafer
February 15, 2011, 11:09 PM
One point: Please do not "refinish" the stock by sanding. You don't want to rtemove the original cartouches.

golfnutrlv
February 15, 2011, 11:57 PM
I ordered a Service grade Garand after asking the same question on this forum!!

Got some great advice, and went for it. I am totally impressed with it. It is officially my favorite rifle I own, except for my Grandfather's Lee Enfield.

Mine had the stock replaced, and a new H&R bolt and barrel. Other than that, it is all Springfield as far as can be determined. November 1943 is the date. Service grade is definitely the way to go if you want to shoot it.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/golfnutrlv/M1%20Garand/DSC01500.jpg

wyobohunter
February 16, 2011, 12:09 AM
Nice pic:)

I can't attest to CMP service grade condition as I got my M1 from a collector but... Gotta love the Garand.

chris in va
February 16, 2011, 01:29 AM
I understand the CMP grade "Service Grade" Is not too great in terms of quality

Who the heck told you that?:confused:

My Field Grade gauges 1.5 at both ends, fantastic shooter and all mechanicals are fully functional. Only reason it wasn't a Service is the wood, which is pretty rough...but that's what I wanted. Something that actually looks like it saw more action than sitting in a warehouse.

christcorp
February 16, 2011, 09:11 AM
I understand the CMP grade "Service Grade" Is not too great in terms of quality

The only person who would say that, is someone who spent $1000+ on an M1 garand locally, and is trying to rationalize why they spent so much. Human nature is when you screw up and make a bad decision; especially on a purchase; is to get others to spend money on the same thing, or to at least agree with your purchase, so you don't have to admit that you screwed up.

MythBuster
February 16, 2011, 01:37 PM
You could be correct. I know a guy who paid $985 for a SA Garand at a gun show. He did not know anything about Garands so he took the word of the guy selling it.

It was so badly worn the CMP would not have sold it even as a rack grade.

The muzzle was so worn you could throw a good size house cat down it.

The OP rod tab was broken. The gas cylinder was 100% worn out. The recoil spring was broken into three pieces.

BUT it looked nice. The metal was re-parked and the stock was refinished.

His logic was this was a "nice looking" rifle and it had to be better than a CMP service grade.

Now he can't even fix his for the cost of a service grade.

wyobohunter
February 16, 2011, 02:44 PM
Ouch:(

christcorp
February 16, 2011, 04:07 PM
Mythbuster: This rationale happens all the time. Buying a car, tv, PC, gun, etc... and trying to talk others into buying the same thing. Same model or whatever. If others buy it too, then whether it's too expensive, crap, good, bad, etc... you aren't alone. Therefor, you feel better. Some people; including gun owners; will go out of their way to cut down optics, guns, ammo, etc... to "Justify/Rationalize" why they spent more. A prime example: If you actually go to the Hi-Point forums (There's at least 3 different ones), and look at ALL the Hi-Point owners. People who actually use them and shoot them. You will find VERY FEW posts/threads with the content that says: "I have a problem; Need help; what's wrong with this; etc....". 99% of all posts/threads are about accessories, carrying it, ammo choices, holsters, tweaking, etc... However; you go to the other forums, and you will find 50%+ of all posters saying that Hi-Points are junk. They aren't reliable. They're made out of pot metal. etc... And 95%+ of these posters, have NEVER owned or shot one before. But they can't admit that a $149 C-9 9mm Hi-Point can be just as reliable as their $550 Glock. I, and most people, can handle someone saying. "I don't like the looks, feel, etc.... and therefor I don't want to buy one". There's nothing wrong with that. But they will rationalize their $550 purchase by cutting down on the $149 purchase. And when that backfires, they pull out the "You and your family's life is worth more than that $149 hi-point". How stupid of a response. so, I guess my family is only worth $550 for the glock.

Anyway; I see this behavior every day. If you keep your eyes open, you'll see it too. People telling you that you SHOULD buy such and such. On the other hand, you have the other extreme. If a person has 1 bad experience with something, they will WARN PEOPLE TO STAY AWAY FROM IT!!! 99 people can shoot steel case ammo and have no issues at all. (They know how steel ammo works). But that 1 person who had a problem will tell everyone that it sucks. Because they can't be honest with themselves and admit that maybe they don't know as much as they think, and admit they need to learn something. Anyway; fortunately, there's a LOT of m1 Garand owners who bought theirs through the CMP. Therefor, there's a lot of empirical data to support that the CMP quality is about the best you're going to get.

Pat T
February 16, 2011, 07:49 PM
Because they can't be honest with themselves and admit that maybe they don't know as much as they think, and admit they need to learn something. Anyway; fortunately, there's a LOT of m1 Garand owners who bought theirs through the CMP. Therefor, there's a lot of empirical data to support that the CMP quality is about the best you're going to get.

ehh...so are you FOR or AGAINST the CMP Garands and those who patronize them?!?:confused:

Ignition Override
February 16, 2011, 09:13 PM
MythBuster:
Due to stories where people resell CMP rifles with mysterious parts and large price mark-ups, not to mention unknown quality etc at gun shows, is the reason my first Garand could Only have come from the CMP, as will my second, this summer.

The CMP's dedication to service is the other primary reason.

MythBuster
February 16, 2011, 10:06 PM
There is nothing wrong with buying Garands elsewhere as long as you know what you are looking at and you know what they are worth.

A few of them show up at our local gunshop every now and then. Some are worn out junk and some are good.

They are all about the same price.

christcorp
February 17, 2011, 01:03 AM
ehh...so are you FOR or AGAINST the CMP Garands and those who patronize them?!?

I have absolutely no idea what; or rather why; you are asking that question???? No where in ANY of my posts, did I say anything pro or con towards the CMP. I simply said that individuals by nature will rationalize and justify their actions. Especially when they spend a lot of money on something. Therefor, it would be perfectly natural for someone who spent $1000 on a Garand on the civilian market, to try and justify their purchase, by saying that it was better quality than one from the CMP. So again; what the hell are you talking about.

But for what it's worth, I'm all for the CMP. I've bought a few rifles from them. I am retired military, and support putting surplus military weapons and our heritage back in the hands of the citizens. I also support their training classes and competition programs. But I don't know what any of that has to do with human nature; or the individual trying to say that his garand he bought on the civilian market was a higher quality than what the CMP could sell.

Ignition Override
February 17, 2011, 03:04 AM
Mythbuster:
I envy you guys who became interested in guns at a young age and acquired many years of valuable experience.

The CMP might be the only reliable place for the older novice:o, other than a trusted friend.
As for the Internet, you guys are excellent 'Garand Gurus".

Ignition Override
February 17, 2011, 03:07 AM
Pardon the double Forrest Gump.