PDA

View Full Version : Got my Mini 14 GB from CDNN. It's a keeper.

Icopy1
February 6, 2011, 01:22 PM
Although CDNN does not list them in their catalog, they have a shipment of wood stocked Ruger Mini 14 GB in stainless for $450. I heard these weapons are trade-ins from either a PD or corrections facility. So, I ordered one last week and it arrived at my FFL on Friday. I have to say that I was more than pleased. The wood stock has very few dings. The previous owner must have worn a ring on his right hand because most of the dings where on the wrist area. The metal is practically like new and the bore is nice and shiny with very strong rifling. The only marks on the metal are where the barrel must have been sitting in the gun rack.

The receiver is marked Restricted Government Use Only and has a number electro penciled on the buttplate. It came with a like new 20-round factory mag, also Restricted marked.

The serial number on mine makes it a 186 series dated in 1994/1995 according to the Ruger web site. According to some online research, the barrel should have a 1 in 7 twist.

This afternoon, I broke down the weapon to clean it. Aside from very little power in the bore, on the flashider and the a tiny bit on the bolt head, I cannot find any powder residue. Even the gas tube was pristine. Unless the weapon was meticulously cleaned prior to storage, I don't think think it was fired outside of the factory. Could it only have been carried but never fired aside from the factory test firing?

I haven't had a chance to fire the weapon or take pics yet. But I will post when I can.

Beentown71
February 6, 2011, 02:34 PM
Cool. I almost ordered one myself. Please post pics when you get it. I have other items I have ordered from them...when did you order yours?

Beentown

zombieslayer
February 6, 2011, 06:37 PM
Congrats. Saw a few at a gunshow this weekend. The guy must have not gotten the memo that the ban has expired, because his prices were CRAZY. $1100 for a factory folder! :eek:

Icopy1
February 6, 2011, 07:51 PM
$1100 for a factory GB folder? Insane, but not uncommon. When I used to work the gun shows two years ago, I saw a guy trying to sell his GB folder for $950. I offered him $600 and he laughed at me. A year later, he was still trying to get $950 for it.

joehorner
February 6, 2011, 10:20 PM
I also own a 186 mini with a 1 in 7 twist. I get better accuracy with a 62 gr bullet as opposed to the more common 55 gr..................Joe