PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 scope question

hotcha45
February 6, 2011, 07:22 AM
For an AR-15 w/ a fixed front sight group, but a removable carry handle, how much does the fixed front sight interfere w/a scope or red dot type sight? I was thinking of a 'hybrid' the Millett DMS scope that has abbreviated crosshairs & a center red donut and a fine red center dot. The idea being to allow quick pick up of close targets but the ability to shoot accuratly out to 200 meters or so using the fine center dot.
Would the fixed sight get in the way of the optics view field, it being so close to it just 'disappears? Or should I plan on trying this scope on another pure flat top upper?

Tbag
February 6, 2011, 08:00 AM
With a proper mount you will a some of the sight tower as you get up in power say past the 6 setting. Really can't see it in my 1-4 scope but could in my 3-9 Nikon. But it never bothered me at all.

wnycollector
February 6, 2011, 08:25 AM
I can technically "see" the top of my front sight, but its blurry and I don't really notice it. I have a 1.5x5 Weaver Nitrex (non illuminated and plain cross hair) on one of my AR's. I love it. I can shoot close with both eyes open on 1.5 and then dial it up to 5x to shoot out to 300 yards.

If you are looking at the Millet DMS, also check out the Mueller 2-7x32 multi shot here http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=354546 I shot a friends Mini-14 with that scope on it last fall and was impressed with the clarity of the glass and the nice small (~1-2 moa IIRC) red dot for a $150 scope.

HJ857
February 6, 2011, 10:20 AM
I think most folks with a non magnified red dot sight want to be able to see the front sight for co-witnessing in case of a failure of the optic.

For a scope, it's personal preference. I use a Burris XTR 1x4, and at 1x the front sight is clearly visible. At any other magnification the front sight disappears and is a non issue. However I use the Burris at 1x almost all the time and I don't like the front sight in my view. My solution was to replace the front post with a folding front sight/gas block and that works great.

Blackops_2
February 6, 2011, 11:29 AM
Depends on co-witness of the mount. If it's full co-witness it's lined up when you look directly through the optic. 1/3 co-witness the fixed front site will be slightly noticeable when looking through the scope, but not obscuring the Dot. For instance when my friend and i shoot his Acog, the fixed front site is noticeable if your looking for it in the scope. But if you focus straight through the scope down range it pretty much becomes invisible.

Ridge_Runner_5
February 6, 2011, 03:29 PM
As long as you have a higher mount, beyond 3x magnification it will be but a shadow in the bottom of your scope...

hotcha45
February 7, 2011, 06:14 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that the front sight would 'disappear' when using the scope. I got a Mueller 2-7X red dot on order from Mizzoumuleguns for another upper. I've been impressed w/Muellers for the prices and have others of the scopes on 3 guns. The tiny center dot should allow for some good group shooting off the bench, while the center ring should allow for quick target acquisition.

Range Is Hot
February 11, 2011, 09:42 AM
I have a 3-9x40 mounted on the carry handle of my AR-15 and it works great at all powers. No interference from the front sight. I was worried about the scope being too high but it is right on so far up to 200 yards and I will soon be trying it at 400 yds.

Jim243
February 11, 2011, 10:20 AM
You have a ton of options that are available to you.

1. Purchase the adaptor to mount your scope on the carry handle. I did that for 15 years with a 1967 Amilite AR-15 and was supper accurate.

2. Purchase a set of 1/2 inch risers to put between your "flat top" and scope. Raises the scope out of the way of the front sight.

3. Purchase a new gas port without a front sight on it and replace the existing gas port. Not my choice or modification because the carry handle sight is then useless unless you also purchase a MBUS fold down front sight.

4. Use a 6-24X42 scope and you will not even see the front sight in the scope.

5. Use a red dot and co-witness the front sight with the red dot.

Your choice.
Jim