PDA

View Full Version : Mini-14 All Dressed Up!

KMO
February 5, 2011, 01:32 PM
I thought I had this 196-series Mini-14 all set up the way I wanted until my buddy, Charley, from Alabama sent me a Genuine Leather Dangly Thing to hang off of the Mo-Rod...:cool:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/kbmoffitt/P2050001b.jpg

Kilgor
February 5, 2011, 02:20 PM
Definitely a genuine piece. I think Ruger should start shipping them with the rifle. :rolleyes:

Microgunner
February 5, 2011, 02:41 PM
I used to own a leather dangly thing, then the wheels fell off. :D

Nice Mini.

Bamashooter
February 5, 2011, 02:43 PM
What front sight/muzzle device is it wearing? Nice, looks alot like mine but without the thingy on the front. :)

KMO
February 5, 2011, 03:44 PM
What front sight/muzzle device is it wearing?

That's the first prototype of the Mo-Reaper, which has just come on the market from Mo-Rod.com.

Snowmanx7
February 5, 2011, 07:05 PM
That's one of the nicest mini's I've seen. Not sure I like the dangler but the rest is great. lol. What stock is that? You're making me want a mini.:)

KMO
February 5, 2011, 07:09 PM
What stock is that?

It's actually the original factory birch stock. I sanded it down to the bare wood and started over with my own finish job. The wood handguard is from an earlier model Mini-14, and I liked it better than the modern black molded handguard.

Bamashooter
February 5, 2011, 07:48 PM
You make me want to dig out my wood stock and refinish it. Does the new front sight aid in accuracy. I think that is one thing that keeps the mini from shooting more accurate. If it was thinner it would be a better sight.

armoredman
February 5, 2011, 07:53 PM
I do love what you did with that stock. Very nice rifle, sir. Does that accurizer really help?

KMO
February 5, 2011, 08:13 PM
Does that accurizer really help?

Well, my opinion is slightly biased, since the Mo-Rod is my product. I usually let my customers do the boasting for the Mo-Rod. But, yes, it works very well in my humble opinion...;)

armoredman
February 5, 2011, 08:29 PM
Nice, I would have tried one, but my Mini-14 went bye bye sometime ago, best of luck in this venture!

rickyrick
February 5, 2011, 08:52 PM
The Mo-Reaper turned out great. Is it on your website now?

Does the mag holder thing interfere with the cocking thing?

The stock looks great also.

KMO
February 5, 2011, 09:14 PM
The Mo-Reaper turned out great. Is it on your website now?
Does the mag holder thing interfere with the cocking thing?

The Reaper is not yet on the website. I'm still offering a special deal to gun forum members on the first 25 units, which are being hard anodized this week. The magazine coupler? That photo angle does make it look like the slide would catch it, but it doesn't. I think the dust cover pushed up a bit....;)

Fullthrottle
February 5, 2011, 10:53 PM
After seeing that pic, you are making me want a Mini 14 again....damn you!:D

goodspeed(TPF)
February 5, 2011, 11:40 PM
Looking good. :)

TPAW
February 5, 2011, 11:50 PM
Very nice, how is the accuracy?

KMO
February 6, 2011, 12:02 AM
Very nice, how is the accuracy?

It's a good shooter. I put a reduced-size gas port bushing in it, torqued the 4 gas block screws, changed out the recoil spring, added buffers, and then the two accessories you can see, the Mo-Rod and the Mo-Reaper. The rifle shoots more accurately than my ability...;)

mdub
February 6, 2011, 11:04 AM
I really like the hand guard. I'm guessing that's the upper cover that's now wood. Are those easy to find? If i ever buy a mini i'll need one of those.

KMO
February 6, 2011, 11:09 AM
Yes, the wood handguards came out with the early Mini's. You can find them for sale on eBay quite often.

Chinny33
February 7, 2011, 01:51 PM
what kind of groupings are you getting out of it @ 100yds?

lola85
February 7, 2011, 01:59 PM
nice

MosinM38
February 7, 2011, 02:01 PM
I'm a believer of your Mo-rod!

When I first owned my Mini it would go about 1.5" (@ 100 yards). For some reason it just started spraying rounds into 6-7" groups. Absolutely nothing would improve it.

Stuck on the Mo-rod and it'll do 2" at 100 yards all day long now :D Groups don't string or open up as soon either. Best $80 I ever spent.

KMO
February 8, 2011, 08:44 AM
What kind of groupings are you getting out of it @ 100yds?

20-round magazine; Federal 55 gr. (the Wal-Mart box)

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/kbmoffitt/Target001.jpg

Snakedriver
February 8, 2011, 08:46 AM
Nice shooting Kelly! :cool:

PIGMAN
February 8, 2011, 08:58 AM
Really nice. You should package the accessories you have installed on this rifle and sell it.I will be your first customer.This is what a mini-14 should look like.

KMO
February 8, 2011, 09:06 AM
You should package the accessories you have installed on this rifle.

I think my marketing plan must really stink. I do sell the Mo-Rod barrel stabilizer and the Mo-Reaper front sight/muzzle brake is a brand new item. If you want a sweet package deal on them, send me a pm...;)

Takeum
February 9, 2011, 04:22 PM
WOw great shooting dude!

madcratebuilder
February 10, 2011, 09:19 AM
Damn KMO, that is the nicest Mini I have seen. I haven't shot a mini14 since they first came out. I just may have to look for a nice used one now. Looks like a fun project.

KMO
February 10, 2011, 09:27 AM
Damn KMO, that is the nicest Mini I have seen. I haven't shot a mini14 since they first came out. I just may have to look for a nice used one now. Looks like a fun project.

Mini's are pretty fun to work with. I have a stainless 196-series that I set up in a slightly different way...kind of a black & silver theme. Did the same thing with the factory birch stock, but stained it differently. I'd post a photo, but it has no leather dangly thing on it, so it would appear almost naked...;)

Skans
February 10, 2011, 09:49 AM
Nice job on the birch stock!

ozarkrecluse
February 10, 2011, 11:06 AM
It's inspired me to do a refinish on a Mini-14 stock I've picked up off of Ebay. I'm planning on getting a wood handguard and fixing mine up. I'll probably be contacting you for the Mo-rod as well as the Mo-reaper.

B. Lahey
February 10, 2011, 11:17 AM
That stock looks fantastic.

But that's not a dangly thing, it's a leather pendulum stabilizer for offhand shooting, a long lost innovation dating back to the not well-known "Dangly Prussian Fusiliers"!:D

zippy13
February 16, 2011, 01:47 PM
KMO,
Mo-Buff arrived today. Thanks for the prompt service and non-rip-off pricing.

KMO
February 16, 2011, 02:16 PM
...non-rip-off pricing.

I like that one! ;)