PDA

View Full Version : Buying a M1A

fpchief
February 3, 2011, 11:54 PM
Going to get one, can't decide which one. Don't care about a national match, wil be doing some hunting with it, target shooting, and basically just having a m1a. Can't decide between standard length or the Scout. Definitely not the SOCOM. ANy opinions?

Kip

THORN74
February 4, 2011, 01:26 AM
i have the scout and LOVE IT! ... its very accurate, more accurate them me. easy to manuver and feels great to shoot. My buddies all run from the firing line when i pull it out. the concussion to the left and right is a bit much they tell me, but i love it.

i have removed my scout mount in favor of a std hand guard, and i am in process of replacing the compensatior with a std flash hider. give me the look of a std m14 but the lenght of the scout .

madcratebuilder
February 4, 2011, 07:20 AM
I prefer the full size M1A, the loaded model has a lot of bang for the buck.

EVERLAST
February 4, 2011, 10:54 AM
I have the loaded version.
AWESOME and I love it.

az_imuth
February 4, 2011, 01:48 PM
I have the Loaded M1A with the full length (22") barrel and love it. I don't think there's anything wrong with the scout version and have considered buying one on a couple of occasions. I believe either one would serve you well.

MythBuster
February 4, 2011, 03:38 PM
Your best option by FAR when buying a SA Inc M1a rifle is buying a used older gun. The older the better.

You want one made back when they actually had quality control and they built them using GI parts, GI chrome bores, and used quality trained personal to build them.

44 AMP
February 4, 2011, 03:48 PM
My M1A is "older" (I've had it since the mid 80s) and is a "rack grade". Nothing special, entirely GI parts, except the receiver. My stock still has the cut out in the wood for the GI full auto parts.

Works great, shoots better than I do, especially now that my eyes are getting older.:(

The 22" barrel gives you full .308 performance (equal to the GI .30-06 load -not commercial hunting ammo). Going to a short barrel is handy, if you need handy over full velocity. Not a lot of practical difference in the field, but a like the few more fps and the longer sight radius. Also, since I did use the M14 in Army service, the standard full size M1A just feels "right" for me.

Personal choice, but I would keep my old gun over an offer of a brand new SOCOM or some other "tactical" piece.

NooYawkuh
February 5, 2011, 10:16 AM
I don't own one (YET!!) because they're pricier than the SA M1As, but when I do, it'll be an M14 from LRB. Just beautiful rifles. Second-to-none in quality.

http://www.lrbarms.com/

SR420
February 5, 2011, 01:20 PM
fpchief Going to get one, can't decide which one.
Can't decide between standard length or the Scout.

I have an assortment of 16" 18" and 22" M14s. The 16" has not been completed yet.

My current personal favorite is the 18" Bush, Scout and MK14.

SmokyBaer
February 5, 2011, 02:05 PM
Can't tell'ya what to like, fpchief, but I can tell you a few tidbits...

- My Scout has a good bit more muzzle blast over the standard. It also has a muzzle brake instead of a flash suppressor.

- A Standard's muzzle velocity is a solid 150 feet per second faster than a Scout's 18" tube.

- Both will benefit from shimming the gas cylinder out a hair to stick the front band solid and lengthen the dwell a bit.

- A couple other accessories which have magic are Sadlak's extended mag release and Smith Enterprises' extended bolt stop.

- Both my Springers had rubs inside the stock that are easy to remove with sand paper and make a world of difference in how they shoot now.

- Another tip I picked up is to file the sharp edges off the spring guide and it will make the feel as smooth as butter.

- My original Scout stock was the plastic stuff. Very flimsy. Had pretty good success using roof flashing as shims to stiffen the draw on it. If I was buying new, I'd go for wood or just plan on getting a USGI fiberglass or custom laminate stock.

- Barrel length really comes down to what you wanna do with it... hunting mostly or targets, and what range, scope or not. The Scout looks better to me and will reliably pop anything inside 200 yards so there's nothing lost at that range.

Just remember they will always need a little tweaking to be better unless you get a National Match prepared rifle. They already have the goodies done to them.

Anyways, enjoy your purchase... It's a great platform.

SR420
February 5, 2011, 03:59 PM
SmokyBaer speaks the truth.

My first M14 type rifle was a Springfield Scout M1A in used USGI synthetic
with black crinkle paint that came off easily and it had their neutered comp.
It quickly became a National Match Scout bedded in walnut with a unitized
gas system, 4.5 lb. trigger and a neutered & reamed GI flash hider.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/The_H2O_MAN/MK14EBR-RI/NMScoutSquad.jpg?

It was quite accurate, but I was looking for improved reliability and performance... I found that and more in the MK14 Mod 0 type SEI.

http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/The_H2O_MAN/MK14EBR-RI/USN Mod 0/IMG_3877.jpg

ripnbst
February 5, 2011, 11:39 PM
Nooyawkah's link click on the M14 rifles on the upper left navigation link list there.

Some sick rifles but damn those are expensive.

T. O'Heir
February 6, 2011, 12:19 AM
Please reduce the size of your pictures.
The Scout is a silly marketing thing. The whole Scout rifle concept is one of Cooper's more stupid ideas.
"...target shooting..." Competitive or just for fun? A Standard will do nicely for hunting and fun shooting. Like 44 AMP, you lose velocity with a non-standard barrel and the muzzle flash(even with a hider) and blast is higher.
"...plan on getting a USGI fiberglass..." Have one on my semi'd Winchester M-14. Ok for lugging around, but increases the muzzle jump. Does nothing to the felt recoil though.

madcratebuilder
February 6, 2011, 08:37 AM
I'll add that you should do some reading at http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/. It's an excellent resource for upgrade information. Many of the best M1A armors in the nation are regulars there and freely share their knowledge with all members. Not many kool aid drinkers and flavor of the month clubs to deal with.

Don't get to carried away looking for a all usgi parts rifle. Many of the usgi parts around were owner installed and may or may not be in serviceable condition. Lot of gi op-rods have well worn lugs, worn nm rear sights with a lot of slop, worn bolt lugs, etc. Then again, a lot of the gi parts were new in the box. A new or used SA with it's lifetime warranty is hard to beat.

If you find a rifle you can e-mail SA with the serial number and ask how it shipped from them, that way you can tell if it's original or not.

SR420
February 6, 2011, 11:29 AM
Allow me to add that you should also do some reading at http://m14hdw.proboards.com/index.cgi.
(Shameless) It's an outstanding resource for up to date information on various US military M14 modernization programs.
It is my opinion that the best M14 armors on the planet frequent The M14HDW Forum... they are more than happy to share their knowledge.

oneshot onekill
February 6, 2011, 01:23 PM
My latest is a Supermatch. The one before that was a Pre-Ban Supermatch. I went that route because I demand some pretty decent accuracy (1/2MOA or better). You can get that from a "rack grade" M1A but it usually takes some added expense. (Probably the same as I paid for the Supermatch... LOL!!!)

heliflyer
February 6, 2011, 06:55 PM
My first SAI M1A was a White Feather model. A friend got involved with the wrong woman, went broke and offered it to me for $2,000.00; I bought it. He also included 8000 rounds of LC .308 brass, .308/7.62 dies, at the same time.

Always before, I had been a fan of the AR-15, and have several of them.

I became intrugued with the M1A platform, with the White Feather and found a camouflaged Super Match model, and bought it. SAI called this model Marine Camouflaged. I bought it mainly because the White Feather model does not have iron sights.

This Super Match M1A, cemented my relationship with the M1A. I also like the McMillan stock on the Super March models.

One thing led to another and I found another new M1A Super Match, in a black McMillan stock and I bought it too.

I soon learned that it isn't conducive to maintaining good accuracy, too keep pulling a glass bedded rifle apart.

So what is a poor fellow to do? He walks into another gun shop and finds a used, but unfired "Loaded Model" for sale, at a good price, and buys it. Easy solution to learning about accurizing and the internals of an M1A, right?

This rifle has a black composite stock on it. However, the forearm can best be described as a "Flexi-Flyer forearm." It has a lot of movement in it. That has to go, and I think I have figured out a good way to do it.

I don't want to replace this composite stock right now, I want to see if I can cure it's problems. Which is half the fun anyway.

This rifle has four so-called National Match parts on it. They are the Air guaged barrel, the NM trugger assembly, the front sight and the NM recoil compensator.

There wasn't a recoil compensator being made for the M1A rifle, before the Assault Wespons ban was put in place. How can that be a National Match part? In fact I wouldn't call any of these parts, National Match parts. They are parts that are supposed to "emulate" the original National Match parts.

There haven't been any original, National Match parts made, since the original Springfield Armory was closed. Some time in the past, the original left over National Match parts supply quickly ran out.

Any new part on a rifle now stamped National Match, is merely an "emulation" of the original National Match standard parts. It may, or may not be a true representative of the original part, when it was made to the National Match standard.

So, now, four M1A's in house and counting.

It's time to move out of California...

Bill

DnPRK
February 7, 2011, 12:11 AM
I prefer the longer sight radius of the rifle-length barrel. The longer barrel also tames muzzle blast. A 16" 308 is hard on the ears, even with hearing protection!

madcratebuilder
February 7, 2011, 07:57 AM
My latest is a Supermatch. The one before that was a Pre-Ban Supermatch. I went that route because I demand some pretty decent accuracy (1/2MOA or better). You can get that from a "rack grade" M1A but it usually takes some added expense. (Probably the same as I paid for the Supermatch... LOL!!!)

How does your double lugged rifle bedding hold up? I have a line on a used one but it's going to need skin bedding soon.