PDA

View Full Version : good choices for first AR15?

cit1911
February 1, 2011, 07:40 PM
I am looking at getting my first ar15, and have a limited budget because I'm a starving student :). I have about $700, and am looking at doublestar and DPMS rifles. I don't shoot more than once a month, and i intend on beating this gun into the ground, and buying a higher end rifle later. Recommendations? Should I save up, and get chrome lined?

mc223
February 1, 2011, 07:49 PM
How about a used rifle for the first and the just upgrade as funds become available.
I have picked up a couple nice ARs out of the local paper for around 4 to 500 bucks. Granted there are not as many as there have been in the past. Also pawn shops do occasionally get an AR in. Pays to get to know the owner in some cases.
Or just go blow your 700 bucks and upgrade later.

espnazi
February 1, 2011, 07:54 PM
You could always build a lower and the just buy the upper. I would Skip DPMS/Oly/Double Star and go for something better. Perhaps a Daniel Defense or BCM upper with the lower of your liking.

cit1911
February 1, 2011, 08:11 PM
I have looked at buying the lower and the upper seperate. seems like a good deal.
because I am new to this, can anyone help me with the real advantaged to going chrome lined of having a chrome BCG? I am willing to wait and save if it is worth it?

mc223
February 1, 2011, 08:31 PM
I would say definitely go for the chrome lined barrel and chrome lined BCG.but not a chrome bolt and carrier. Unless you just feel you must. The lined parts and barrel will save cleaning time and add to the reliability of the rifle. Not to mention the chrome lined barrels last longer.

I agree totally with espnazi on skip the junk DPMS/OLY/Doublestar. And with Bushmaster and Remington having the same corporate owner, well they are the same as the aforementioned.

tacticalmedic
February 1, 2011, 08:35 PM
Check out Del-Ton. I got one on a trade and I love it. You can get a "Kit" from them for around $600.

10mmAuto
February 1, 2011, 08:46 PM
S&W has a new sport model that can be had in the price range that will be much superior to a DPMS/DOublestar. No dust cover but unless you hunt a lot in the desert that's fine.

Blackops_2
February 1, 2011, 10:25 PM
Without all the personal requirements i've put on my AR 15 you could get a upper from bravo company, get a decent spikes, or LMT lower (there are others) and be right above 700 but still have a damn good AR. But it's your choice. I myself am a mil spec guy so i give you the way i would go about it. If your not planning on using the AR that much, DPMS and Bushy would be fine. Also RRA i consider a notch up from DPMS/bushy, just my opinion. Spikes, S&W, and DD have top notch ARs, some for right at 1000, and you could probably find them a little lower, if your willing to shell out the extra cash. Your choice though.

wildphilhickup
February 2, 2011, 12:29 AM
Just build one.

You can get a complete lower for $250

And a complete upper for about $325

Good Luck!

JerseyDrez
February 2, 2011, 01:15 AM
Build your own as WildPhil stated above.

I am not sure where he is getting his prices (I've never seen lower than $400 for a complete upper), but I am planning on getting a complete upper kit for about $550 with a couple things modified and a stripped lower for $100.

Not only can I say I built it, but I will know how it operates as well as knowledge of the in's and out's of it.

rdmallory
February 2, 2011, 09:50 AM
Just build one.

Going to cost your more than you can buy one for.
You will have to add the bolt and charging arm + $150

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/55444

a7mmnut
February 2, 2011, 10:34 AM
One of my best friends at work just bout the Doublestar $650 heavy barrel from Bud's. I loaned him my cheap Barska 3-9x scope off my AK. It's a great shooter! Chrome lining costs more and is cleaner if you run hundreds of rounds through it at each session, target guns are usually more accurate without it. I bought my Oly "junk" K16 bull barrel for about the same price. I wanted a coyote carbine that shot well and was still light enough for "run and gun" field work. I added all my extras a litle at a time. Even my 12 year old can hold at least 1/2" groups with good ammo in her. Like you said, you can always upgrade later. Check the reviews at Bud's or the other sights before buying. Not many people mock accuracy at the range where I live.;)

-7-

Blackops_2
February 2, 2011, 10:37 AM
Actually when I added up the expenses on my plans for a MK12 Mod 1 build I saved 400$ a MK12 clone is expensive either way but I would imagine a similar result for building a carbine

cit1911
February 2, 2011, 11:38 AM
I found a spikes tactical lower for 250, and the cheapest chrome lined upper i found was a del ton? but it would come out under my 700 bucks. opinions?

Longdayjake
February 2, 2011, 11:39 AM
I have built three AR's and I have at one time owned 4. I have since sold one and I still have the other three. I have some good experience with trying to get a good AR at a good price. First off, YOU DO NOT NEED CHROME LINED anything. Unless you can afford to pay for the ammo that it would take to wear out a normal stainless barrel (about 20k rounds) then you do not need chrome lined barrels. 20k rounds at a cheap $0.30 a round would cost $6,000. If you could not find $150-200 for a new barrel after spending $6000 on all that ammo then there must be something wrong. The only reason that chrome lined barrels are really important is if you are worried about letting your gun rust or if you shoot a lot of tracers.

Read this if you have any doubts about the life of a barrel.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=130&t=158390

Here are the cheapest completer lowers that I could find online.

http://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=504

http://surplusammo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=819

All you would need to do after buying that lower is find a complete upper at a reasonable price and it suits your fancy.

10mmAuto
February 2, 2011, 01:23 PM
Going to cost your more than you can buy one for.
You will have to add the bolt and charging arm + $150
I made a brand new midlength gun recently with a BCM upper and BCG along with the VLTOR EMOD A5 receiver extension/buffer/stock and Armalite lower for a little less than 800 dollars. When you can get a complete gun like that at that price let me know. In that price range for complete guns you're mostly looking at garbage.

Unless you can afford to pay for the ammo that it would take to wear out a normal stainless barrel (about 20k rounds) then you do not need chrome lined
"Normal" barrels are not stainless. The most common barrel type is phosphate coated and chrome lined. Stainless barrels will cost you more than this type for any given manufacturer. More over, you'll have better reliability with a chrome lined or stainless barrel than straight steel.

HKFan9
February 2, 2011, 02:14 PM
I got a Stag Arms. It has been 100% for me and doesn't break the bank. Its parent company Continental Machine has been making AR and M16 parts for a long time. Many other companies use their receivers including Noveske I'm fairly certain. I beat the crap out of it, shoot brass and steel ammo out of it, and rarely clean it, and its never given me an issue. I can't say that about the Colt AR I had before this one.:cool:

I'm sorry, I did have a few jams when I first got the Stag, but as soon as I replaced the mag it came with with Magpul P-mags it has been 100%.

Rick Clark
February 2, 2011, 02:25 PM
I saved up and bought a colt and it go's without saying buy the best!!!

10mmAuto
February 2, 2011, 02:27 PM
I saved up and bought a colt and it go's without saying buy the best!!!
As I say every time, I'm not personally a Colt fan... but you never regret buying quality.

viking499
February 2, 2011, 02:35 PM
My first was a Doublestar for $500. The way it shoots, I don't see any reason to buy anything else.:D

Longdayjake
February 2, 2011, 03:52 PM
More over, you'll have better reliability with a chrome lined or stainless barrel than straight steel.

Not true. It may be true in some cases but not all.

10mmAuto
February 2, 2011, 06:47 PM
Not true. It may be true in some cases but not all.
I think the importance of a chrome lined BCG and barrel/chamber were demonstrated pretty well in Vietnam.

tAKticool
February 2, 2011, 07:30 PM
Bushmaster For The Win!!! WOOHOO Bushmaster!!

>puts on fireproof MOTT suit<

<hides>

mr renwick
February 2, 2011, 08:58 PM
I will the build it crew. My buddy has a spikes tactical upper for sale with bcg for 400 then all you would have to do is round up a complete lower for 300 which isn't hard at all

zombieslayer
February 3, 2011, 06:22 AM
Yeah Spike's make good stuff. And so do BCM.

rdmallory
February 3, 2011, 09:14 AM
My first was a Doublestar for $500. The way it shoots, I don't see any reason to buy anything else

$300 of Ammo with the money you saved.

Longdayjake
February 3, 2011, 05:27 PM
I think the importance of a chrome lined BCG and barrel/chamber were demonstrated pretty well in Vietnam.

True. But I ask myself... "how many monsoons have I been wading through lately here in North Idaho?"