View Full Version : help settle an argument
January 31, 2011, 09:44 AM
my friend says you can use 2/3/4" slug in a 3" fully rifled barrel i say no the barrel calls for 3" slugs who is correct here..
January 31, 2011, 09:57 AM
The length of the chamber is the maximum length of projectile you can safely use. With a 3" chamber, 2, 2-1/2, 2-9/16, 2-3/4, and 3 are all acceptable
January 31, 2011, 01:30 PM
Here's an extract from your SuperMag's instruction manual. Remington says:
TO LOAD THE CHAMBER AND MAGAZINE:
1. Point the firearm in a safe direction.
2. Engage the safety mechanism. RED BAND WILL NOT SHOW.
3. Push upward on the action bar lock.
4. Pull the fore-end fully rearward to open the action.
5. Put one shell of the correct gauge and length through the ejection port.
6. Push the fore-end forward to close the action.
THE FIREARM IS NOW LOADED.
7. Press shell against the carrier.
8. Push three (3) 3-1/2" (870 Super Magnum™ only) shells or four
(4) 3" or 2-3/4" shells of the correct gauge and length, one at a time, fully forward into the magazine.
You gun will shoot 2-3/4, 3 and 3-1/2" shells. It the rifled deer barrel didn't shoot 2-3/4" slugs the Remington legal department would be going ballistic. And, the barrel would be marked with something like "NOT FOR 2-3/4" SLUGS" -- what exactly does it say on your deer barrel?
January 31, 2011, 01:34 PM
OneOunceLoad has it correct. The chamber size on a shotgun is the MAXIMUM length of the shell you can use, not the required size.
January 31, 2011, 02:19 PM
One caveat I think most seem to forget - the length of the hull is the FIRED length - I have watched many a person slip a 2-3/4 into a gun chambered for 2-1/2 and think it was OK.........
January 31, 2011, 03:47 PM
1-oz, my friend, you gotta stop hanging around with those folks who are shooting guns with 2.5" chambers. ;)
January 31, 2011, 04:36 PM
Zippy - them's the only English SxS guns I can possibly afford - gotta try them all......(they handle phenomenally)
January 31, 2011, 06:17 PM
I use 2 3/4 hornadys in my 870 mag i also use 3" rem accutips both shoot great
vBulletin® v3.8.7, Copyright ©2000-2013, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.