PDA

View Full Version : remove a beaver tail

carprivershooter
January 30, 2011, 12:00 AM
In have a tauras pt 1911 that has been back to for repair twice. This is going to be a project gun. everything is going except the barrel, slide, and frame. every spring, screw and pin are history. I want the beaver tail gone. and the ambi safety gone. I like the G.I. style. SO beside Brownell's any other good source of parts and books.

DnPRK
January 30, 2011, 12:37 AM
Examine the frame near the beavertail. Some frames are contoured to match the beavertail and will not have the same look or feel as a USGI without a beavertail.

Other sellers of 1911 parts include:
midwayusa.com
shopwilsoncombat.com
1911pistols.com
edbrown.com
egw-guns.com

HiBC
January 30, 2011, 12:57 AM
You get to like whatever you like!No rain on your parade.Do you have experience shooting the GI style?It works for most folks but I have big hands and the web of my hand rolls over the safety spur.Blood is bad about rusting steel.
I would not necessarily expect all parts to be drop in.There is a sequence of fitting 1911 parts that will go a lot better with some references.I went with Kuhnhausen and a set of Wilson video DVD's.Safeties are unlikely to be a drop in and must be carefully and properly fitted.
I'll second the idea the frame spur where the beavertail fits may have had a .250 or so radius cut performed for a hi-ride grip safety.If so,your plan may have a problem.

carprivershooter
January 30, 2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks for your comments. I thought about the changes. I am not a fan of the beaver tail it pokes my spare tire sometimes when i carry it. so i decided to trade the taraus for a nearly new little used M1 carbine.

jcsturgeon
February 1, 2011, 08:37 AM
The real story here is that you have an extra beavertail and ambi safety and I have a RIA project gun. Hmmmm would you be interested in parting with those things?