PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mini-14 GB worth owning?

Icopy1
January 26, 2011, 08:08 AM
I already own a Colt 6920 and a Scar 16, so I don't NEED another .223 caliber rifle. But, lately, I have been thinking about getting a LE marked Ruger Mini-14 GB. Other than the fact that the Ruger comes with a flash hider and a bayonet lug, do these have any collector value? Are they reliable? Accurate?

rdmallory
January 26, 2011, 08:40 AM
collector value?
Don't think so Bud's has about 50 on the show floor.

Are they reliable?
Yes mine was, fired what ever you put in it.

Accurate?
Define accurate. Mine could hit a paper plate at 50 yards easily.

Doug

Icopy1
January 26, 2011, 08:53 AM
I will be shooting mostly under 100 yards with it. Am I to expect Ak accuracy from the Mini? Minute of Man at 100 yards?

Logs
January 26, 2011, 09:27 AM
I was in Bud's yesterday and the ones they have are in rough condition for me at $499. I would stick with an AR. Hit a paper plate at 100 + yards with open sites.

smince
January 26, 2011, 09:47 AM
I once owned one with the factory folder on it.

I could keep 20 rounds on a saucer-size paper plate at 100 yds with it.

Icopy1
January 26, 2011, 10:27 AM
I was looking to buy it from Buds or CDNN. How rough are the ones from Buds?

rdmallory
January 26, 2011, 10:47 AM
How rough are the ones from Buds?

The receivers looked very good to excellent. Stocks looked fair to good from bouncing around in the trunk of squad cars. The stocks can be replaced fairly cheep. Most had a bayonet lug that was steal and rusty on the stainless barrel. They also all had the flash hider. Some were a lot better than the others and two or three were what I would call rough.

They also had new ARs for $649.

zombieslayer
January 26, 2011, 02:24 PM
I like the GB's. Almost as good as the 580 series. I've seen quite a few lately. Fwiw- I have lots of rifles, but my Mini's are maybe my favorites.

Bamashooter
January 26, 2011, 05:33 PM
I dont think most mini's would have a problem hitting a paper plate at 100yrds. For that price you could get a new stock and clean the crap out of it and have a nice little rifle. With just a couple inexpensive mods you can wring a little more accuracy out of them. That's if you can get one that isnt too far gone.

farmer-dave
January 26, 2011, 07:51 PM
Very reliable, but I think their collective value has taken a huge hit since the awb got lifted. Maybe worth more in areas that still have draconian gun laws. When cold mine is accurate but not even close to a ar-15, especially after multiple shots. Mine prefers 50 grain ammo, seems like if I shoot 62 grain wolf it opens up tremendously. If you want one you'd be much better getting one of the newest ones, they've made the barrel heavier.

Icopy1
January 27, 2011, 08:14 AM
Guys, Thank you for the replies. I think I will get one this week. I've always wanted the GB model and I still kick myself for passing on GB folder for $450 in 2004. It was right after the ban ended and the guy was dumping his "pre-ban" mini for an AR.

Worst case: if the one I get isn't too pretty, it will be my trainer gun for the kids.

zombieslayer
January 27, 2011, 06:27 PM
I think you and the kids will have fun with it.

Icopy1
January 28, 2011, 11:32 AM
Ok, I just pulled the trigger on the Mini-14 GB. Cdnn has the wood stocked version for $449, but it's not listed in their catalog. Should be at my dealer in a few days. I will post a report once I receive it.

rdmallory
January 28, 2011, 05:14 PM
Cdnn has the wood stocked version for $449, but it's not listed in their catalog

Good price Stainless?

Doug

eddyb74
January 28, 2011, 08:32 PM
in case anybody is interested,
http://www.classicarms.us/

They have 1 factory folder for sale, pretty good price for a rare gun.

FireForged
January 29, 2011, 02:05 PM
eh, the mini is fine for a camp gun and such. Its reliable enough, I just dont consider it anything near "average" rifle accuracy.

checkmyswag
January 29, 2011, 07:03 PM
yes

Bamashooter
January 29, 2011, 07:55 PM
Actually the new 580 series and up are pretty average in the accuracy dept. Which is a step up from what it used to be. Between 1-3 moa depending on how im shooting, plus they cant be beat for reliability. Mine wasnt bought to be a precision rifle. Its a rugged, reliable, accurate ( mine is anyway) rifle you can count on to go boom when you need it to.

M.O.A.
January 29, 2011, 11:39 PM
i sure like them alot better than the ARs mine shoot very well out too about 200 yards and thats not with wolf or brown bear or anything like that Win.XX is what mine likes

kenno
January 30, 2011, 12:58 AM
I would opt for a 580 series stainless tactical in 762X39 over any old model mini.

Icopy1
January 30, 2011, 03:53 PM
rdmallory:

Yes, the $449 was for the wood stocked stainless GB in very good condition. CDNN said I have a 3-day inspection period, which is good considering he didn't know the barrel twist.

Bamashooter
January 30, 2011, 06:03 PM
I went and shot my 580 series today. I had 10rds. of my 60gr. sierra varmiter handloads with me. Shot all ten into a 2.6'' group at 75yrds. factory irons. I shot sitting with a shooting stick under the front of the rifle. Not too bad considering it was a 10 shot group.

zombieslayer
January 30, 2011, 08:37 PM
My current Mini is a creation I pieced together. Took a really noice walnut stock from a standard 580, and the action and barrel from the "Tactical" model, and its been a real great rifle. Had one malfunction with it, and that was on the very first round. It fired, but didn't eject the brass at all. It just re-inserted the empty case back in the chamber. Then, after I cycled the bolt manually one time, it fired every subsequent mag with 100% reliability. It balances and holds really well with the sliigtly longer, slightly heavier wood stock and is a great little rifle to shoot.

JGant
January 30, 2011, 10:43 PM
Get the one from Bud's.....a friend of mine got his there..

riverwalker76
January 30, 2011, 10:53 PM
Any Mini-14 is a good buy in my book. The Minis you are talking about are probably old prison issue. The Dept. of Corrections keeps them around for 10 years or so, and unloads them on local dealers later on down the line. As long as the barrel is in good shape ... buy one.

I don't know what the market is in your area, but I can buy one used all day long for $325 here. New on a Ruger Mini-14 is around $550, depending on the model.

Little Wolf
August 15, 2012, 11:42 AM
I don't know what the market is in your area, but I can buy one used all day long for $325 here. New on a Ruger Mini-14 is around $550, depending on the model.

Please introduce me to your $325 used Mini-14 sources, and I'll buy 10 of them.