View Full Version : S@W 586 rear sight problems

Big Greg
January 26, 2011, 02:54 AM
I recently bought a s@w 586 off a friend its in beautiful shape and shoots extremely well. The problem is he put a scope on it and apparently lost the rear sight. A couple of my good gun buddies mentioned that were it is older (no dash model) the sights may not fit it and may require a trip to the gun smith. Does any know for sure?

Jim Watson
January 26, 2011, 10:11 AM
Brownells lists new style and old style sights in several different heights.
Maybe they could help you pick a replacement.
Be prepared to tell them if the cut for the leaf is rounded on the front end or not and be ready to measure the screw location.

Maybe S&W would.

Big Greg
January 26, 2011, 11:25 AM
Tux you very much but how do I tell if the cut for the leaf is round or not?

January 26, 2011, 11:45 AM
Just look at it. This one has a square cut (at the front of the sight). It's probably the same as this no-dash 586. See picture 5...

Big Greg
January 31, 2011, 01:55 PM
Hey guys I have ran into a problem. I called s@w and apparently my revolver( made in 1983) apparetly does not have a sight assembly for it made anymore. From what he told me they changed the sights in 94 and that he knew of no way to get a back site for it. I called acouple companies that buy old firearms and strip parts for sale and none have them. Please does anyone know of a affordable answer to my. Problem or am I screwed.

January 31, 2011, 02:35 PM

January 31, 2011, 07:25 PM
Brownell's carry new S&W old style rear sights.
You might want to call or email and talk to the Tech guys to make sure you get the right height blade for your specific gun.