PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mini 14??

fortkevin2
January 23, 2011, 11:14 PM
Hey guys,
I have a member here and then a member on another forum that wants to trade a Mini 14 for the Para P12-45 I have listed here. Do you think it's a good deal?

Both are stainless. The one here comes with several mags and the one on the other forum comes with 10 magazines. 3 are factory ruger.

Here are pictures from the other forum....

Serial Number=185-70XXX

What do you guys think of the mini's? I like the fact that it's stainless and compact. Any reviews? Pro's/Con's? Advice?

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv350/Fortkevin2/downsized_0121111311a.jpg

http://i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv350/Fortkevin2/downsized_0121111311.jpg

kansersurvivor
January 24, 2011, 01:02 AM
Even though the A-Team never could seem to hit anything...I like them. But really only you can decide if its a decent trade.

I had a Kimber Ten ll I let go because it just did not fit me, so personally I'd make that trade.

kristop64089
January 24, 2011, 07:03 AM
The one with all of the mags is definitely worth it.
The gun alone is $400-$475 used, than factor the mags at $20-$30 a piece, you'll come up smelling like a rose.

Art Eatman
January 24, 2011, 08:17 AM
If you want tight groups from a benchrest, don't get a Mini.

If you want it for hunting, plinking or home defense, the Mini is as good as any semi-auto .223 you can buy.

(And before anybody starts jaw-jacking, just remember that I've been messing with Minis and ARs since they first came onto the civilian market. :))

Omaha-BeenGlockin
January 24, 2011, 08:19 AM
I'd take a Mini over a Para in heartbeat.

Skans
January 24, 2011, 09:57 AM
I'm a fan of the Mini-14, especially in stainless. They are rugged durable rifles. The newer ones are fairly accurate out of the box. Accuracy can be improved greatly with the addition of (expensive) aftermarket barrels and compensators.

Why do I like them? 1) I like wood and steel; 2) I like their compact design; 3) they last forever and have always made great salt-water boat guns; 4) I like the stainless look - I'm partial to the look of the older brighter looking Mini-14's, though.

If Ruger would simply adopt the AR-15 magazine and mag-well, it would be a perfect rifle.

Technosavant
January 24, 2011, 11:31 AM
I just picked up a Mini-14 from a buddy, and as an AR guy, I would say it's a good and competent little rifle. It's compact, reasonably light, and handles quickly. It seems nice and rugged, and that is backed up by its reputation. They aren't quite as ergonomic as an AR nor are they quite as readily tricked out (I'm keeping mine stock, so no worries... there are plenty of aftermarket parts, they just don't always swap out as quickly/easily as some AR stuff).

One thing to keep in mind: if the magazines don't say Ruger on them, they probably aren't any good. A Ruger factory 20 round magazine will run you about $25-30; double the price of a quality AR mag, but then, they're more robust than a GI STANAG magazine.

I'd say it would be a fair trade- neither one of you will be making out like a bandit, but that's for the best.

Skans
January 24, 2011, 03:45 PM
if the magazines don't say Ruger on them, they probably aren't any good.

While the factory magazines will definitely work 100%, many of the aftermarket magazines work just fine. You just need to try them, if they work - great; if they don't, then you've lost $15 or so. I have a couple of 40 round aftermarket magazines that I use with my AC556. They work just fine - semi-auto and full auto. On the other hand, I have a betamag with Mini-14/ac556 feed tower which took a significant amount of adjustment and feed-lip trimming to get it to work reliably.

10mmAuto
January 24, 2011, 03:52 PM
Honestly I think they are dead reliable and durable guns, just don't expect it to group. If that suits your purposes then its an awesome gun.

SPEMack618
January 24, 2011, 03:59 PM
Indeed, as a nearly life long shooter of the Mini-14 platform, seriously I shot my first one when I was eight nearly immediatly after seeing my first episode of "The A-Team", I have nothing but nice things to say about the weapon. And I would certainly make the trade, especially with all the included mags.

goodspeed(TPF)
January 24, 2011, 04:05 PM
Sounds like a decent trade to me. And the following advice is right on: If you want tight groups from a benchrest, don't get a Mini.

If you want it for hunting, plinking or home defense, the Mini is as good as any semi-auto .223 you can buy.