PDA

View Full Version : DPMS AR15 question

exphys2010
January 16, 2011, 11:21 PM
I was thinking about getting a new AR. I found a DPMS A2 PCAR 16" heavy barrel for about $750. Has anyone heard anything positives or negatives about this specific model, or DPMS AR15's in general? I have shot a Bushmaster and an Olympic in the past, and liked them both, and I was wondering how DPMS would compare to these two in quality. Thanks for the help!

mellow_c
January 17, 2011, 02:05 AM
I think DPMS makes great AR's

10mmAuto
January 17, 2011, 02:33 AM
Excellent, accurate gun for casual use in good conditions. If you're going to use it somewhere dusty over extended periods of time/hard use look at something else.

Blackops_2
January 17, 2011, 02:36 AM
+1 on 10mmauto's post. Whats your use for the carbine?

10mmAuto
January 17, 2011, 05:43 AM
Whats your use for the carbine?
This is really the 65,000 dollar question. For casual use or bench shooting brands like DPMS are preferred in my opinion because for the price point their accuracy is outstanding. That being said, as soon as you through extended periods between cleaning/dusty conditions/suppressed use etc into the mix its not such a great tool.

If you only want it to say, pop coyotes somewhere other than the western states or to punch paper you can't really go wrong at that price.

rdmallory
January 17, 2011, 08:39 AM
Olympic Arms $628 Buds
DPMS $608 Buds.

The prices are really dropping. Cheaper then you can buy all the parts to build one.

Doug

thesheepdog
January 17, 2011, 09:11 AM
Olympic Arms

Ummm...I wouldn't recommend these.

christcorp
January 17, 2011, 11:39 AM
If you look around, you can find lots of deals. Not that a DPMS is bad; it's not. However; on Christmas eve, I was at Sportsman's Warehouse. They had the S&W M&P15; retail price $1069, they're normal selling price $949, 3 day christmas sale $200 off for $749, and S&W had a Military/Police appreciation $100 rebate, So I got the M&P15OR for a final price of $649. Now there are some who think that if it's not a Colt, BCM, Daniel, etc... then it's not real mil-spec is substandard. I reject this philosophy. But there are some that are obviously higher in qualify in areas that count. And the M&P is definitely in that category. Would I buy the M&P at it's normal retail or store price? Probably not. But on sale below $800, it's a no brainer.

DPMS is also a fine gun for the range, popping coyotes, etc... And in my opinion, $750 is about what I would expect to pay on the normal, no-sale, that's what it's going for price. You can build a higher quality AR for shy of $1000. But $250 difference with the DPMS is also considerable to some people. But there is nothing wrong with a DPMS. The $750 is about the normal average price. $750-$800. Only you can decide if you like it enough or not.

Te Anau
January 17, 2011, 12:12 PM
I would be more interested in a DPMS vs Olympic vs Doublestar showdown.I also wonder why a DPMS would be considered a poor choice for extended/rough/dusty use.

10mmAuto
January 17, 2011, 12:38 PM
I also wonder why a DPMS would be considered a poor choice for extended/rough/dusty use.
I've seen DPMS guns that are overgased due to port problems. These guns had excessive recoil and sometimes actually had bolt bounce so bad they malfunction. Its also extremely hard on your parts. The extractor spring is out of spec contributing to the likelihood of malfunction. It also doesn't help that it has an AR15 carrier and not a FA BCG. They also have carbine instead of heavy buffers... again making the problem worse. The gas key isn't installed properly. The castle nut isn't staked. The guns undergo practically no quality control and the barrel steel is substandard. Most models have no chrome in the chamber or bore.

nathaniel
January 17, 2011, 01:23 PM
Excellent, accurate gun for casual use in good conditions. If you're going to use it somewhere dusty over extended periods of time/hard use look at something else.

Funny I have used my DPMS alot in western North Dakota for deer hunting, prairie dog hunting, and as a truck gun. Alot of dust and debris and I have a problem with not cleaning my guns. I've never had issues with it and I shot over 2500 rounds in two months last summer.

Blackops_2
January 17, 2011, 02:29 PM
10mmAuto is stating in general, and i think he's referring to 500rds a day at a carbine course and training. Not hunting and such. It's kind of like a debate saying olympic arms is good, sure they might have some rifles that have been good but in general i've read and seen too many things wrong with their rifles. Now i would put DPMS above Olympic but I still agree with 10mmAuto, and thats just my preference, plus if the OP looks around you can find plenty of good deals on top name manufactures DD's M4 at impact is a steal IMO. Sure 1000$ might be a little to high for some. But i've put around 1500 into my BCM and am not done yet, not that i regret my decision because i honestly do love BCM to death, but that price on the DD is good.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/852548002011.html

exphys2010
January 17, 2011, 02:38 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. I actually went ahead and bought the DPMS. It feels solid and well built to me. I personally just wanted one for target shooting and maybe some varmint hunting, and dust would never really be an issue where I live. It sounds like the DPMS is a gun that is good for the money, but not the top of the line (which I was expecting), which I am ok with as long as it functions safely.... and it sounds like that wont be an issue. Thanks again for the info.

rdmallory
January 17, 2011, 02:41 PM
I own three S&W, Olympic, and no name brand X. Don' t see a lot of difference in any of them. The Olympic is 15 years old and had a lot ran throuh it with no issues.

Blackops_2
January 17, 2011, 03:03 PM
It will be fine, also you can always upgrade if it ever actually did fail. BCGs, buffer tubes etc. There are plenty of ways to upgrade an AR farther. Let us know how it shoots.

rdmallory
January 17, 2011, 03:09 PM
Next he will be looking for a good reloading setup

Blackops_2
January 17, 2011, 04:24 PM
I'm weird about reloading for an AR i might next year when i build a SPR maybe, but when i think of shooting my AR i think of shooting 100-200 rounds a day just because it's fun to shoot.

10mmAuto
January 17, 2011, 04:32 PM
I actually went ahead and bought the DPMS. It feels solid and well built to me. I personally just wanted one for target shooting and maybe some varmint hunting, and dust would never really be an issue where I live. It sounds like the DPMS is a gun that is good for the money, but not the top of the line (which I was expecting), which I am ok with as long as it functions safely

For what you are describing you made a very good decision, in my opinion. DPMS guns although not made to the standards of a "fighting rifle" are fine guns for target shooting and melon popping as they are generally quite accurate weapons. If you've got the carbine buffer in there though, drop an H or an H2 buffer in to replace it.

If you've got minimal technical aptitude and some patience buying a barreled upper from BCM would be the way to go in my opinion if you decide to get another (I ASSURE YOU, YOU WILL WANT MORE!), it my be overkill for what you have in mind but there is really no downside. Quick breakdown of the weapon I am finishing up.

BCM 16" Midlength barreled upper/VLTOR charging handle
BCM M16 BCG
VLTOR A5 receiver extension w/modstock
Armalite M-15 lower (I wanted an Armalite rollmark).
The total cost of these components was ~$820 shipped. I left out the other stuff because that is all basically down to individual preference, has little impact on performance and is of comparatively minimal cost. But you get the idea, a very high quality weapon can be made quite cheaply if you are willing to part the lower together.

rdmallory
January 17, 2011, 04:39 PM
100 55gn varmint nightmares $8.00
100 small rifle primers $2.75
TAC power $2.00
$12.75
$2.75 for a box of 20 if you save your brass......
A little higher using Varget but next to imposable to over charge a 55gn bullet with it.

Doug

Blackops_2
January 17, 2011, 05:32 PM
10mm, i'm the same way there are some lowers i want just for the rollmark. My gunsmith that got my lower shipped here was trying to get me to buy a stripped Del Ton receiver and while it's just a receiver it doesn't have what i wanted on the side for my "fighting rifle" Which was Bravo Company MFG. But for my next one i'm going to build from scratch, hehe already have it planned out. exphys2010, you probably will end up wanting to build more like 10mm said. I used to not care that much about AR 15s then somehow i got into it, just got done with my 14.5 mid and now have plans that will take years for me to get done lol. Its kind of like having your own custom computer, which i build also, so it caters very much to me. Anyway here is my next build. Semi Clone of MK12 Mod 1.

VLTOR upper receiver
BCM rifle length Gas Tube
BCM BCG & Charging handle
BCM 18" Ionbond barrel
BCM MK12 Break and collar
Larue low profile .750 gas block
KAC RAS rifle length quad rail
Spikes tactical Lower receiver stripped
RRA Lower parts kit
BCM Rifle buffer
Magpul PRS or Standard A2 haven't decided yet.

Going to top it off with either the vortex PST 4-16x50mm if the price will come down to where it should be, or the vortex PST-6.5-24x50mm.

Quentin2
January 17, 2011, 06:46 PM
For what you are describing you made a very good decision, in my opinion. DPMS guns although not made to the standards of a "fighting rifle" are fine guns for target shooting and melon popping as they are generally quite accurate weapons. If you've got the carbine buffer in there though, drop an H or an H2 buffer in to replace it.

If you've got minimal technical aptitude and some patience buying a barreled upper from BCM would be the way to go in my opinion if you decide to get another (I ASSURE YOU, YOU WILL WANT MORE!), it my be overkill for what you have in mind but there is really no downside. Quick breakdown of the weapon I am finishing up.

BCM 16" Midlength barreled upper/VLTOR charging handle
BCM M16 BCG
VLTOR A5 receiver extension w/modstock
Armalite M-15 lower (I wanted an Armalite rollmark).
The total cost of these components was ~$820 shipped. I left out the other stuff because that is all basically down to individual preference, has little impact on performance and is of comparatively minimal cost. But you get the idea, a very high quality weapon can be made quite cheaply if you are willing to part the lower together.

10mmAuto, we think alike... I also bought an ArmaLite M15 stripped lower because I wanted the rollmark. Got it last Sept and built it up with an ArmaLite LPK and BCM RE/H buffer and M4 stock kit. Then married it to my ArmaLite U15A4C midlength upper which in effect gives me a slightly upgraded M15A4C carbine.

That freed up my S&W M&P-15 lower (a Stag LPK plus the same BCM stock kit) for a Daniel Defense LW 16" Midlength barreled upper with DD M16 BCG. Hope to get the upper this Thursday.

Both of these ARs came in at about the same price of yours. Amazing to get BCM or DD quality for that!

rdmallory
January 17, 2011, 07:12 PM
It is a disease with known cure.

It can only be treated with another type rifle collection such as Thompson Center rifles.

Blackops_2
January 17, 2011, 08:54 PM
Or you could start collecting bolt action rifles and/or other "Fighting" rifles such as the AUG, FAL, SCAR, etc. I got to hold a Dsarms FAL and man she was a beauty. Light weight outstanding trigger for a combat rifle, and was super quick to pull up on target.

My plans for ARs include a 10.5, 12.5, my 14.5, a 18 SPR, and a SR-25 or SASS. This is lifetime plans of course but still.

rdmallory
January 17, 2011, 09:34 PM
I have a 1919A4 on my bucket list but the price keep out running my wallet.

Or one of the new Stainless UZI pistols they are making.

http://www.vectorarms.com/images/uzi_fsSS.png