PDA

View Full Version : different front sight?

SauerGrapes
January 15, 2011, 08:49 PM
Hey guys,
I love shooting and I'm pretty anal about care and maintenance. But.... I don't do much smithing to my guns if I can help it.
I have a Colt Targetsman .22 pistol that shoots 3" high at 50'. I have the adjustable rear sight turned all the way down and it just shoots high.
This was my father's gun which he bought new in the early 70's. I don't ever remember him shooting it,so I doubt he was aware of the problem.
Anyway the gun is stone stock. Are there sights available for this pistol? I don't even know how the sight is attached in the front.
I was thinking maybe I would buy the sight and find someone{gunsmith} to put it on. Or should I let the person doing the work find one.
The other question would be, how much taller?
Thanks, Chet

Ideal Tool
January 15, 2011, 08:59 PM
Hello, SauerGrapes. (love that handle), Thats funny, because back in the late 70's, I was shooting IHMSA & bought a nice used Targetsman myself..that darned thing also shot high! I brought rear sight to work, & surface ground as much as I dared, but still was shooting high. Higher fron probably answer..but since they are no longer made, you probably don,t want to do anything too drastic. How about epoxying a piece of steel to front?

T. O'Heir
January 16, 2011, 03:02 AM
"...it just shoots high..." Have you tried different ammo?
Doesn't look like the front sight is changeable. You can try soldering/gluing a shotgun bead on the existing sight.
This might be of some use to you as well.
http://coltparts.com/pt_targetsman.html

SauerGrapes
January 16, 2011, 11:11 AM
I've tried Remington HV and SV, CCI SV, Federa HV and American Eagle ammo.
Pretty much the same results. I guess I could try some match grade ammo next.
I guess this pistol would be a good candidate for a "red dot" sight of some kind. Either that or have a sight custom made and installed.

Scorch
January 16, 2011, 05:38 PM
Target pistols are set up to shoot standard velocity ammo to the center of a 6" bull using a 6 o'clock hold, i.e. it will hit about 3" high at 50'. There is likely nothing at all wrong with your pistol.