PDA

View Full Version : colt officers model

basshunter
January 9, 2011, 08:16 PM
I have a Colt Officers Model 38, heavy barrel sn 525xxx. Can anyone give me a year of production? How does the heavy bbl model compare to the match models? Thank You

Venom1956
January 9, 2011, 10:56 PM
To my knowledge,
Heavy Barrel models are just that 'heavier barrels' ;) Opposed to the thinner standard. usually using the extra weight to reduce the muzzle rise and larger surface area to help dissipate heat. Opposed to the Match models that were mainly built for target shooting.

Here is your serial number lookup

http://proofhouse.com/index.htm

Andy Taylor
January 10, 2011, 11:55 AM
Are you sure it is 525XXX and not 525XX? Officer's Model serial numbers do not go to 6 digits. If it is 525XX it should be about 1948 although even that is showing a gap from 52362-54001.

basshunter
January 10, 2011, 05:50 PM
Andy, I have the colt in front of me and there are 6 numbers 525xxo both numbers match. This is what is on the barrel, Officers model 38, heavy barrel. Patd aug 5 1884,july 4 1905,oct 5 1926. Older style Colt grips. On the frame below sn it looks like 2?y can not read 2nd number or letter. The 0 on seral number looks like it is part of sn? This sn has always been a question of mine. this is a great revolver to shoot the da is very smooth. Thank you

Dfariswheel
January 10, 2011, 08:27 PM
Officer's Model serial numbers, like a lot of Colt numbers can be very confusing.

525xxx was made in 1926. The numbers that year started at 521000.
1927 started at 540000.

The Colt Officer's Model was in all versions, a formal target revolver, the best made in in the world, and it held all the records into the 1960's.
The various versions of the Officer's Model was Colt's premium quality, top of the line revolver until the Python was introduced.
It was largely hand built and adjusted with the intent of pure accuracy in formal target matches.
The Heavy Barrel version simply had a fatter barrel than the standard weight target barrel. The standard barrel version was in no way inferior to the Heavy Barrel, the heavy barrel was simply for people who liked a more muzzle heavy gun.

The gun should have a checkered cylinder release, checkered back strap and checkered trigger.
Grips should be the narrow "Service" type made of checkered walnut with Silver Colt medallions.
They should have the serial number written inside.
The front sight will be a Patridge (not partridge) straight blade that's adjustable for elevation.
The rear sight should be a plain blade adjustable for windage.
As a pre-war version, it would be officially the Colt Officer's Model Target.

In good condition, these Officer's Models will usually out-shoot any modern revolver, with the exception of the Colt Python.
Best accuracy is with a custom loaded 148 wad cutter mid-range target load.

Jim March
January 10, 2011, 08:32 PM
In good condition, these Officer's Models will usually out-shoot any modern revolver, with the exception of the Colt Python.

Ahem...a Freedom Arms medium frame ('97 series) will keep up and then some. An FA large frame will smoke a Python any day of the week :).

johnbt
January 10, 2011, 09:49 PM
When did Freedom Arms start making DA revolvers?

Jim March
January 10, 2011, 10:37 PM
You didn't say DA :). You said "modern revolver". Anything made today qualifies :D.

Andy Taylor
January 11, 2011, 11:26 AM
I defer to Dfariswhell on SN knowledge.

basshunter
January 11, 2011, 04:49 PM
Thank you Andy and Dfariswheel. Dfariswheel everything on the revolver checked out thank you for the information. The revolver is a great gun to shoot. I have a very hard time walking past a gun case with a colt wheel gun on display. When you find a Colt double action now the price can scare you.

KyJim
January 11, 2011, 11:43 PM
I have the Officer's Model Match. Whoever owned it before me set it up right. It has the slickest action of any DA revolver I have ever shot and is extremely accurate. In my hands, it out shoots my Pythons.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x223/KyJim_photos/Colt%20Revolvers/Colt_Officer_Model_Match_04a.jpg

basshunter
January 12, 2011, 11:55 AM
I think you are correct kyjim. Thay are just so smooth. The more I think about this I want to get out and shoot. But 9 degrees temp and 5 inchs of new snow and wind will keep me in for a few days.

Venom1956
January 13, 2011, 12:00 PM
KyJim I would love to pit my OMM against yours. I've never seen another in person I want to compare it to another one.:D

KyJim
January 13, 2011, 05:05 PM
KyJim I would love to pit my OMM against yours.You're in Wisconsin. I'm in Kentucky. Maybe we can meet somewhere in Illinois or Indiana at high noon. :D

Venom1956
January 14, 2011, 10:17 AM
=P Lol its on! :D