PDA

View Full Version : Re-attaching Wilson Scattergun front sight

geologist
January 4, 2011, 02:46 AM
I had a Wilson front sight installed on the 14" barrel of my shotgun a couple of years ago.

I assume that the gunsmith used the included glue that came with the front sight.

It detached yesterday at the range while I was shooting light loads. Temperature was -3C.

What is the best way for me to re-attach it? If I degrease it thoroughly will JB weld and a clamp re-secure it?

darkgael
January 4, 2011, 06:45 AM
Try Loctite 380. It is a reinforced super glue. Brownell's sells it as it is useful for attaching SG sights. I have used it successfully on an old Savage O/U.
Hard to find in retail stores.
Pete

TheKlawMan
January 4, 2011, 11:53 AM
Whenever fastening with any kind of glue or adhesive, pay careful attention to the manufacturer's instructions, which I suspect will include removing any old bonding material from the site and perhaps roughing it up. Making it clean.

FALacy
January 4, 2011, 11:56 AM
I'm sure JB weld would work fine. Just get it right the first time.

darkgael
January 4, 2011, 01:23 PM
About JB Weld in this application.
I use the stuff for about everything else. Tubes and tubes of the stuff. What I did not like about it for front sight use is its weight. You want the sight to be tight to the barrel and JBW is thick stuff. if I push the sight down real tight, there's not a lot of JBW left to bond. And it has to set for 12-15 hours. I can't say it won't work but I have my doubts.
I did use JBW on a cut down SXS as a way to seal the gap between the barrels that was exposed by the cutting. That use was fine as you might expect.
Pete

GunCat
January 7, 2011, 09:47 PM
Does your barrel have the Remington style bead pedestal under the Wilson front sight?

If it does, I can recommend drilling through the sight and pedestal so a 1/16” roll pin can be installed through both parts. This pin adds a mechanical lock, consider it backup/insurance to help the JB weld type glue do its job.

pabuckslayer08
January 7, 2011, 09:55 PM
JB will work but give it 48 hours to dry. It says less but give it atleast the 48 hrs before removing the clamp.

geologist
August 3, 2011, 11:39 AM
I cleaned the barrel, wiped it with solvent and let it dry. I re-attached the sight with JB Weld, clamped it and left it for 3 days.

Finally got out to the range with it, fired 20 Federal 1 oz slugs and the sight held. :D

Thanks for all of the advice.

dwaawd
August 3, 2011, 04:21 PM
Which JB Weld did you use?

geologist
August 5, 2011, 08:42 AM
Just the regular one, black and white caps, comes out metallic gray colored.

hogdogs
August 5, 2011, 08:51 AM
There is JB KWIK and JB WELD. I think that was why asked which one.

Brent