PDA

View Full Version : Close range Ar-15

swizzle
January 2, 2011, 03:56 PM
Hey everybody, Im new to the forum. Just got one question, i recently bought an ar15 and cant decide on the optics to put on it. I want a red dot or a scope with unlimited eye relief. I have been looking at bushnell holosight. I haven't had any experience with these kinds of scopes. I was wondering if there are any other scopes out there like that and around the 200 dollar price range. I wont be shooting over 100 yards, EoTechs and Aimpoints are little to expensive - thanks

Technosavant
January 2, 2011, 04:36 PM
The Bushnell Holosight is actually pretty good for the price; it's basically an EOTech 511 minus the armored hood. Burris has some reasonably priced optics, but I'm not sure of their exact street prices.

Gehrhard
January 2, 2011, 06:40 PM
I just bought a Vortex SPARC. Seemed to me after researching to be about the best for the money. So much "tacticool" stuff is so overpriced, not that there isn't better quality in the many options on the market, but, it gets real exoensive real fast...

You can find the SPARC for $200 pretty commonly. Comes with a 2x magnifier.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-sparc-red-dot-scope

Gehr

AK103K
January 2, 2011, 08:30 PM
I would suggest that if you want a red dot, you dont waste your money on a "cheap" one. You'll just end up spending more money down the road to get a good one when the cheap ones fail.

I know the Aimpoints and Eotecs seem expensive at first blush, but in the long run, they really pay for themselves. About 10 years ago, I went through a number of the cheap "brand name" sights, which really werent all that cheap at the time, mostly in the $200+ range, and all failed under modest use/abuse. I bought my first Aimpoint (I prefer the Aimpoints over the Eotechs), a Comp M2, and never looked back. That original sight is still in use, as well as four others I added later, and all are still used regularly.

One of the better points with the Aimpoints, besides their overall ruggedness, is their battery life. Mine are "old" models, and have a one year plus battery life, and thats with the unit on at a mid setting, 24/7. Some of the newer models are a lot smaller, and boast of an almost ten year battery life.

ETA: Oh, and dont go cheap on the mounts either.

Alden
January 2, 2011, 08:35 PM
Vortex is good.

Aimpoint is great.

wnycollector
January 2, 2011, 09:01 PM
It's not the Holosight, but I have had a Bushnell TRS-25 for ~1 year now have zero complaints about it. It holds zero, is bright and doesn't eat batteries. Cabelas has them on sale for ~$100.

Nemsis
January 2, 2011, 10:11 PM
I think you should save up and get an Eotech or Aimpoit also, but if your on a strict budget i would get one of the clones from primary arms.

http://primaryarms.com/category.sc?categoryId=398

Stevie-Ray
January 3, 2011, 04:16 PM
Nothing wrong with Bushnell's Holosight at all. But this one gets good reviews and it's in your price range. Burris Fast Fire (http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-fastfire-w-picatinny-mount-4-moa-dot-mat-fastfire-sight.html)

Sixer
January 3, 2011, 05:50 PM
My Bushnell Holosight has been great... I recently added a "cheap" Primary Arms 3x magnifier with a FTS mount that works great for those longer range shots.

thesheepdog
January 3, 2011, 05:58 PM
Something called Iron sights.

Alden
January 3, 2011, 06:00 PM
Something called Iron sights. ;)

This is true. It's amazing what you can do with a good set of peeps.

AK103K
January 3, 2011, 06:42 PM
While thats true, the red dot bumps that up an easy 10x.

I would think the irons were already on there anyways.