PDA

View Full Version : Grim Reaper for Mini-14

KMO
December 17, 2010, 11:51 PM
Well, my buddy & I took our new product, the "Grim Reaper" front sight/muzzle brake out for a test this week. This prototype for the Mini-14 was machined out of a solid block of high quality aluminum. It surpassed our expectations. As you can see from the pics below, it's a sturdy accessory...
(Don't sweat the rubber band...just a temporary cross pin holder...)

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/kbmoffitt/Grim_Reaper_Production002.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/kbmoffitt/Grim_Reaper_Production007.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/kbmoffitt/Grim_Reaper_Production005.jpg

Saguaro Firearms
December 18, 2010, 12:16 AM
that looks nice. also looks very marketable,

Volucris
December 18, 2010, 12:19 AM
What's the benefit of having this over a stock configuration?

556Isdeadly
December 18, 2010, 12:56 AM
That's pretty awesome, nothing beats a mini after a few accuracy mods.

Jim243
December 18, 2010, 01:20 AM
Nice looking job. Lose the holes at 4 and 7 o'clock, you want to keep the muzzle down not up.

Jim

ethan95
December 18, 2010, 01:41 AM
Lose the holes at 4 and 7 o'clock, you want to keep the muzzle down not up.

+1, and dirt showers are not desirable either :D that a truly awesome setup. I wish i had a machine shop in my garage.

KMO
December 18, 2010, 07:28 AM
Well, we already eliminated the 6:00 ports to avoid the dust cloud from a prone position. The 4 & 7 holes are angled forward for the same reason. Prototype #2 has a few changes with the ports. We have to send the gas somewhere...:eek:

BfloBill
December 18, 2010, 07:36 AM
Post some before and after accuracy pics. Do you plan on manufacturing them after you work out the kinks?

KMO
December 18, 2010, 07:43 AM
Right now I'm just collecting input from a few forums...we've gotten some good feedback thus far that will influence the next prototype. Yes, we plan to include this item with our Mo-Rod for sale, but I'm trying to be careful about marketing here, as we're still in the data collection mode, and some experienced posters (like y'all) are helping to modify our design somewhat...;)

Microgunner
December 18, 2010, 08:50 AM
Beautiful work.

Volucris
December 18, 2010, 04:06 PM
I'm not seeing how it would help accuracy at all.

KMO
December 18, 2010, 04:31 PM
I'm not seeing how it would help accuracy at all.

The muzzle brake alters the flow of gas right at the point where the bullet exits the muzzle. This will, hopefully, allow the bullet to remain true to its trajectory. This is but one improvement the shooter can use to improve the Mini-14's accuracy. This rifle is also equipped with a Mo-Rod. Below is a target used from 80 yards during our first test of the prototype "Reaper" unit. I would say it did pretty well with a 20-round mag...

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/kbmoffitt/Target001.jpg

Bamashooter
December 18, 2010, 05:32 PM
''I'm not seeing how it would help accuracy at all''

looks like it has a better front sight which would also help in accuracy.

94bluerat
December 18, 2010, 05:47 PM
Somebody made something nice, lots of great comments and of course, someone has to smack it down.

Sometimes it is better to just let the enjoyers enjoy...

I think it looks pretty cool, not every thing has to "improve something else".

kristop64089
December 18, 2010, 06:02 PM
I like it. Much more than the run of the mill suppressors we get to choose from.

It aids in accuracy by adding weight(ie: stability) to the barrel. It also looks that it adds a few inches of bore, as well.

I'd be interested, especially if they are being designed for the older Mini's.
I hate my front and rear factory sights, and I don't want to mount a scope.

What version(or gun type) is being engineered right now?

556Isdeadly
December 18, 2010, 06:05 PM
I'll definitely order this package If I ever get around to buying a mini. Mo-rod and awesome muzzle break. The Mini-30 bull barrel tactical is selling lot hot cakes, not sure how many want to replace the factory flash hider.

essohbe
December 18, 2010, 06:09 PM
Does the Mini14 in the picture have one of those "accurizing struts" on it?

kristop64089
December 18, 2010, 06:15 PM
essohbeee. Yep, that has the strut. I have been contemplating adding the strut to mine, as well. I'd really like to find a SOCOM style stock for my mini, then add the strut, and I'd be game for this flash hider.

Sarge
December 18, 2010, 07:21 PM
Type of front post used, and provision for adjustment?

KMO
December 18, 2010, 07:41 PM
I'd be interested, especially if they are being designed for the older Mini's. I hate my front and rear factory sights, and I don't want to mount a scope. What version(or gun type) is being engineered right now?

The rifle shown in the photos is a 196-series with a traditional barrel. We're starting with these first, and then will also make them to fit the newer tapered barrel Mini's.

Does the Mini14 in the picture have one of those "accurizing struts" on it?

Yes, it is equipped with a Mo-Rod. We make those too, so we'll probably get around to some sort of package offer for the purchase of both together.

Type of front post used, and provision for adjustment?

We struck a deal with KNS Precision out in Texas. They make sight posts, and we don't want to. The ball-type sight post shown threads in from the bottom side when the unit is off of the rifle. A set screw then follows up through the same hole to secure against the bottom of the barrel. We will likely sell these just as shown, with the .072" ball sight fixed and centered within the hood. All Mini's have windage & elevation adjustments at the rear sight, so this should not be an issue. We did not design it for frequent front sight adjustments, but it can be adjusted or replaced with standard AK or SKS sight posts.

Sarge
December 18, 2010, 08:17 PM
Thanks.

BILLDAVE
December 18, 2010, 08:21 PM
This has already been made. It is called a BOSS system.
BILLDAVE

kristop64089
December 18, 2010, 08:27 PM
Has it been made For the Mini-14?
If not, then this is a pretty big deal for those of us who want a more accurate Mini, without dropping hundreds of dollars into it.

KMO
December 18, 2010, 08:29 PM
This has already been made. It is called a BOSS system.

So your point is what? We had no business making one of our own? Besides, I never heard of the BOSS product you mention.

kristop64089
December 18, 2010, 08:36 PM
The BOSS system is/was used on Winchester rifles. I have never seen anything like it for the Mini's.

I say good on ya, and I am eager to see the finished product in blue:D.

I have a FH on there now, but it's the big ole' "trumpet" style, and I'm still stuck with my blade sight. I'm not sure of any recommendations I could make to your product, so I'll offer my encouragement.

Microgunner
December 18, 2010, 08:38 PM
This has already been made. It is called a BOSS system

The BOSS (Ballistic Optimized Shooting System), introduced on Browning rifles, is an adjustable harmonics tuner. This is completely different as I see it.

rduckwor
December 18, 2010, 09:53 PM
Guys: Maybe I missed it, but won't the aluminum erode from hot muzzle gases?

Don't know how critical that might be to accuracy, but a concern I would have.

It's a great concept and anything that can be done to accurize the older Mini's should be done.

Thanks,

BILLDAVE
December 18, 2010, 10:07 PM
They were made for Browning also. They were made for several guns. I mean good job! But it is not ground breaking. Other companies make muzzle brakes, I think about a dozen. Sorry. I quess I don't see it as that a big of a deal, IMHO.

Volucris
December 18, 2010, 11:33 PM
From that target you posted that's well over 3 MOA excluding the flyers. Considering how expensive new Mini-14s are and how expensive accurizing upgrades are, what's the point of it? :confused:

556Isdeadly
December 19, 2010, 12:32 AM
That's not 3-6 moa. Moa is measured in 3-5 groups after barrel cooling.

20 is 4x the heat and stress of a typical Moa group ....

Mathematically that would be around 2 moa on a 5 moa group

QuarterHorse
December 19, 2010, 12:42 AM
There will always be haters with no constructive criticism.

Good for you guys for being innovative when it's in need for our Mini's. I'll keep my eyes peeled for 'em. Also trying to find a "Socom" style stock for mine as well.

Mal H
December 19, 2010, 12:53 AM
BILLDAVE - I don't know why you are attempting to belittle KMO's project and product, but you should have your facts straight before you do.

They were made for Browning also. They were made for several guns.

First of all, as Microgunner said, the BOSS system is not the same thing as KMO's product. Yes, they both reduce recoil, but the BOSS also has a barrel harmonic dampening device. In fact some BOSS devices don't have any recoil reducing capabilities.

The BOSS was exclusive to Browning rifles for a long time. In 1995 they teamed with Winchester and started marketing the BOSS for Winchesters also. So your statements quoted above are inaccurate. You make it sound as if Browning was added later on, and that the BOSS is available for several manufacturers rifles, they aren't.

ethan95
December 19, 2010, 12:56 AM
We have to send the gas somewhere...

Ain't that the truth :D Your on to something here.

Volucris
December 19, 2010, 01:30 AM
Well considering lots of you are much older than me and probably got Minis in the better days of Ruger and most importantly when they were way cheaper; more power to ya. I'm not trying to belittle your craftmanship or ingenuity at all. Just figuring out what use of the product there is.

556Isdeadly
December 19, 2010, 01:34 AM
Mini's are the American AKs. Like the hotdog or cheeseburger, Mini is all American. Every gun owner usually owns one at some point. You will eventually buy one.

bamaranger
December 19, 2010, 02:14 AM
There is a hunting broad head, as in hunting arrow head, that uses the name
"Grim Reaper". You might wanna check on name patents.

KMO
December 19, 2010, 08:06 AM
There is a hunting broad head, as in hunting arrow head, that uses the name "Grim Reaper". You might wanna check on name patents.

The Grim Reaper is a mythological figure, the symbolic hooded one who signals one's fate has arrived. No one can patent it. It is considered public domain, like Santa Claus.

I guess I need to comment on the target I posted as well. Three separate guys emptied the 20-round magazine. We alternated shots. Some of the shots were by use of the scope, and some were by using iron sights (our new sight). I know some AR owners that can't do as well.

Volucris, if you're still so baffled by all of this, move on to another thread. I think we got your point that you don't care for our project, and you cannot be convinced it is worthwhile. So, maybe you should run along and do something productive yourself.

kristop64089
December 19, 2010, 08:40 AM
I'm always amazed when people bitch ,about what other people do with their time and money.

KMO's designing a better mousetrap. Had this device been for an AR, I'm sure the sheeple would be clamoring all over it, maybe even offering suggestions.

Kickin' a fellow down, while he's looking to help folks out is bad Karma. If you're against shooting aids, remove your: scopes, red-dots, slings, bi-pods, recoil reducers, etc....

Snakedriver
December 19, 2010, 09:13 AM
Volucris, if you're still so baffled by all of this, move on to another thread. I think we got your point that you don't care for our project, and you cannot be convinced it is worthwhile. So, maybe you should run along and do something productive yourself.

I mean REALLY! I tried to ignore the screwball, but I just can't do it any more. KMO's products are first class and his service is even better. If you can't see the beauty of a better defined bead sight with built-in muzzle brake over the large fat combat sight on the original rifle, don't get one.

Just move along, nothing here for you to see! :mad:

Brit
December 19, 2010, 10:02 AM
Like your quote!If a chicken and a half laid an egg and a half in a minute and a half...how long would it take a monkey with a wooden leg to kick the seeds out of a dill pickle? The comment about the aluminum being eroded by the hot gasses? Seemed kind of valid to me, stainless steel? Is that mayhap a better material.

Thinking of the use of that particular Mini 14 group, every shot would have been a head shot, using the rifle in an urban setting, albeit a mythical one at this time. Especially the 20 shots fired as they were.

Katophract
December 19, 2010, 10:34 AM
I'm not a fan of Mini's at all, but I have to say that this looks like a cool product guys. If I had a mini, I'd look into something like this. Especially if the price was reasonable.

Oh, also, do you have a website?

kaylorinhi
December 19, 2010, 03:38 PM
I don't own a mini, probably wont ever, but since you made something cool and did it yourself "goodonyah" keep it up guys, and by the way I am an AR guy but I can still appreciate the effort, work, and determination! I will keep this in mind, I know a couple of guys who own Mini's.

Bamashooter
December 19, 2010, 03:43 PM
KMO...

As the owner of a 580 series with a trigger job, accu-strut, 1911 recoil buffers, and a new stock, me and others like me who constantly try to wring all the accuracy that is out there from a mini. I personally appreciate what you are doing. My mini started out shooting 3-4'' groups at 100yards with the factory sights. After all the upgrades, Im able to shoot 1.5'' groups at 100yards. I think the only thing holding me back from sub-moa is the sights. I can shoot sub-moa with a burris scope on my mini but i dont want it scoped. Dont worry about these morons here becouse they always run their mouth and never offer anything productive.Just know that there are people out there who appreciate what you ar doing.

emcon5
December 19, 2010, 04:38 PM
The muzzle brake alters the flow of gas right at the point where the bullet exits the muzzle. This will, hopefully, allow the bullet to remain true to its trajectory. This is but one improvement the shooter can use to improve the Mini-14's accuracy. This rifle is also equipped with a Mo-Rod. Below is a target used from 80 yards during our first test of the prototype "Reaper" unit. I would say it did pretty well with a 20-round mag...

Do you have a "before" target so we can see the difference?

Does asking this question make me a hater?:rolleyes:

Had this device been for an AR, I'm sure the sheeple would be clamoring all over it, maybe even offering suggestions. ARs don't need it....:D

Actually, if it was for an AR there would be people complaining that it doesn't have Picatinny rails all over it. ;)

emcon5
December 19, 2010, 04:57 PM
That's not 3-6 moa. Moa is measured in 3-5 groups after barrel cooling.

20 is 4x the heat and stress of a typical Moa group ....It isn't 3-6 MOA, but not for the reason you said. It in not 3-6 MOA simply because it isn't.

The target says it is 5.5", and the left and right fliers are about half that, which would roughly 2.75" at 80 yards. Doing the math makes that about 3 1/2 MOA. The core group looks to be about half that, with some vertical stringing, which could be the shooter/iron sights.

Not knowing what ammo they are using, but I wouldn't be unhappy with that at all using factory ammo and iron sights.

MOA is a measurement of angle, the number of shots has nothing to do with it. Sure, there are folks who crow about their amazing 3 shot groups, but statistically they don't mean a whole lot. 5 is better, 10 is better still.

Mathematically that would be around 2 moa on a 5 moa group Must be that new math......

tulsamal
December 19, 2010, 06:06 PM
Just a possible new product idea.... I really like the new Ruger Mini 30 Tactical. But I really don't like the stock FH. I can't be the only one. So think about making this for the Mini 30 people as well!

Gregg

pbratton
December 19, 2010, 06:15 PM
We have to send the gas somewhere...

I keep telling my wife that too...

KMO
December 19, 2010, 09:35 PM
Do you have a "before" target so we can see the difference? Does asking this question make me a hater?

Well, I had already equipped this Mini-14 with a Mo-Rod barrel stabilizer, a reduced size gas port bushing (4 gas block screws at 30 lbs. torque), and a good trigger job. So, it wasn't too bad before we mounted the "Reaper" on it. The first target had a nice grouping of 10 shots, but they were high about 1.5". Since this rifle was pretty well dialed in before the test, this told us that the introduction of the new sight/brake had an impact on the harmonics. We're thinking that this item will be but one part of the puzzle that helps make the Mini-14 shoot more accurately. It won't be a fix-all, all by itself.

Therealkoop
December 19, 2010, 09:51 PM
Looks good, always glad to see parts for the Mini. Im also always sad to see it getting such a bad rap.

I can see how it would reduce recoil through the compensator effect, and accuracy through changing harmonics or adding barrel weight. But not by changing gas flow.

Bamashooter
December 19, 2010, 11:22 PM
I welcome any upgrade. My mini has been accurate and 100% reliable since i took it out of the box. The things i do just make a good rifle better. Who doesnt want to do that. You hear all this crap about how inaccurate they are, well i have never seen one that wouldnt shoot at the very least 3-4'' 100yrd. groups. Thats good enough for most folks,cause they know it isnt a target rifle, but there are alot that will shoot much better. Most all of them will if you tweek on them a little.

Mike Irwin
December 20, 2010, 06:54 AM
"The Grim Reaper is a mythological figure, the symbolic hooded one who signals one's fate has arrived. No one can patent it. It is considered public domain, like Santa Claus."

Sorry, KMO, but that is 100% INcorrect.

As noted, Grim Reaper is a trademarked (not patented) name referring to arrowheads, registered December 11, 2001, registry number 2545027.

There have been a total of 22 trademarks registered for the term Grim Reaper in various forms and for various products; currently 6 of those registrations are live and in force, and at least one of them is for a graphic design portraying the figure of the Grim Reaper.

Before you assume that something is so common that it can't be trademarked (in fact very few words or terms can't be trademarked for some narrow specific use), it's VERY easy to do a quick electronic search at the Patent and Trademark Office.

That will get you started and will at least give you some idea as to whether you need to get a trademark attorney involved or not.

tulsamal
December 20, 2010, 09:55 AM
I'm wandering outside of the what I really KNOW about and that never ends well. But who can resist?.....

Don't trademarks of this type only apply to products within the same "type" of thing? The point of the trademark is to keep consumers from getting "confused" about one product line versus another. So if there are hunting arrows that are trademarked as Grim Reapers, then I can't release another kind of arrows with that name. Or maybe even anything in the general archery area. But I could still come up with a new automobile and use the name. Or a gun part. Etc.

Of course Mike is right. Always check to make sure a proposed name is really "available" before you end up hearing from somebody's lawyer after you start production!

Gregg

Mike Irwin
December 20, 2010, 10:55 AM
"Don't trademarks of this type only apply to products within the same "type" of thing?"

Depends on how the application is made.

It could be narrowly defined, to a single product line, or it could be very broad, covering just about any application.

Company logos are generally considered to be the broad kind.

rickyrick
December 20, 2010, 01:08 PM
I can't wait till its ready for the tapered mini. Thanks for the hard work. Did it reduce muzzle rise any?

KMO
December 20, 2010, 09:20 PM
Our first two prototypes were made from 6061 aircraft aluminum. After some consultation with metallurgists, we've come to the conclusion that this material will not hold up long enough to be used as our permanent material for our unit. Now we're looking at 7068 aluminum alloy. Anyone with experience using this alloy? Thoughts?

I can't wait till its ready for the tapered mini. Thanks for the hard work. Did it reduce muzzle rise any?

The muzzle rise was minimal, and we expect it to be even less with the next prototype. We've ditched the row of holes at 6:00, and the next rows (5:00 & 7:00) are now just 3 holes. The muzzle hole has also been enlarged. We hope to test it right after Christmas...

FALacy
December 20, 2010, 09:22 PM
We have to send the gases somewhere

No you don't. Letting it go out of the muzzle would be better than those ports at 4 and 7.

KMO
December 20, 2010, 09:24 PM
Letting it go out of the muzzle would be better than those ports at 4 and 7.

FALacy...I guess great minds think alike...at the same moment in time too...:cool:

556Isdeadly
December 20, 2010, 09:25 PM
Scandium , if costs aren't to bad.

KMO
December 20, 2010, 09:27 PM
Scandium , if costs aren't too bad.

We've looked at literature on Scandium too, but I think the 7068 alloy has it beat for our purposes.

KMO
December 20, 2010, 09:33 PM
Hey Mike...Thanks for the heads up on the name trademark. That bridge is a little bit down the road anyway. We need to figure out a few more things on the design first. In the meantime, we're wide open for some cool names guys. Have at it...:cool:

556Isdeadly
December 20, 2010, 09:33 PM
What about a Polymer coated Thin alloy, is that feasible ?

rattletrap1970
December 20, 2010, 09:35 PM
BOSS was a browning product, not winchester.

kenno
December 20, 2010, 11:37 PM
Mill it from mild steel with no holes or vents. Machine it so an HK frt sight will fit.

teeroux
December 21, 2010, 12:51 AM
What style post will the sight take and will there be a hole in the hood to aid in replacement/adjustment? Inquiring minds want to know.:)

KMO
December 21, 2010, 08:38 AM
What style post will the sight take and will there be a hole in the hood to aid in replacement/adjustment?

We're using a .072" ball-type AK/SKS front sight post. It comes in the beneath when the unit is off of the rifle. It can be adjusted or replaced when it is off the rifle, but we consider it a fixed sight, centered within the hood (no holes in the hood). All Mini-14's have elevation & windage adjustments on the rear sight.

teeroux
December 21, 2010, 01:44 PM
Cool. I would definatly want one. I still think there should be a hole though murphy's law and all.:p

goodspeed(TPF)
December 21, 2010, 02:05 PM
I really like it, and I have three early Minis and a recent Tactical. I would probably order multiples depending on price. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. -Goodspeed

rickyrick
December 21, 2010, 04:26 PM
I am thinking Mo_brake ....
keep up the Mo theme in your products.

as discussed earlier this year there is a definate hole in the market for brakes for the new style ranch rifles.

Achilles11B
December 21, 2010, 05:21 PM
While I don't own a Mini, I'm not a metal guru either, so I'm impressed. Is the front sight fixed?

HelterSkelter
December 22, 2010, 04:04 AM
all you need are holes at 11 12 and 1 oclock. the ones on the bottom are canceling out the ones on top. that is unless you just want those holes there for looks.

teeroux
December 22, 2010, 04:23 AM
all you need are holes at 11 12 and 1 oclock. the ones on the bottom are canceling out the ones on top. that is unless you just want those holes there for looks.

Muzzle brakes work by the gasses rushing out and exerting force against the port walls parallel to the bore not perpendicular. The more ports the better dirrection has little effect. Ports are usually omitted from the underside due to dust being kicked up from firing.

KMO
December 22, 2010, 08:19 AM
We've had quite a bit of input on the ports from a variety of sources. I think our prototype #2, finished just yesterday, has the port issue resolved. It will be different than #1. Most exciting is the fact that we think we found our material. There are already muzzle brakes being commercially produced using 7075-T6 Mil-Spec Aluminum Alloy. It's tough stuff, and as long as we treat it (i.e. MP3, anodizing, or similar), we should have a good long-lasting accessory. I think we're getting close on this project. I'll have some new photos of Prototype #2 soon...;)

Snakedriver
December 22, 2010, 10:06 AM
Kelly, I like the suggestion above about keeping it simple and staying with what you've already started by calling this thing the "Mo-Brake". If it works good and is priced appropriately, the name will be secondary to anyone's concerns. :cool:

KMO
December 22, 2010, 11:30 AM
Our second prototype of the "Reaper" has just been finished. The ports have been changed to better compensate for muzzle lift, the muzzle hole is now larger, and there are a few other minor modifications. We have landed on Aluminum Alloy 7075-T6 as a proven material for this type of application, and we will hard anodize them. This prototype is going out for hard anodizing, and will return with a finish that appears somewhat like MP3. We will then take it out for a another round of tests, including some temperature testing. Personally, I think it looks darn cool...:cool:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/kbmoffitt/Reaper_Proto_2005b.jpg

ipscchef
December 22, 2010, 12:21 PM
Neat looking accessory!! Good for you guys. Keep up the good work.:D
Do the Barrel strut and the front unit work on the old 183 series? I have one of the old ones that I bought in 1982, and would seriously consider both of those attachments if they were compatable. BTW anyone who says Minis can't shoot, could it be their skills, and not the gun? I'm just saying, as mine with factory iron will still keep about 2" after thirty years.;)

Willy

KMO
December 22, 2010, 12:28 PM
Do the Barrel strut and the front unit work on the old 183 series?

Yes to both. The Mo-Rod barrel stabilizer can be configured with rod length and custom clamps to fit all of the various Mini-14's & Mini-30's. As for this sight/brake we're now calling the "Reaper," it will fit your 183-series too, after we move to production. Hopefully, that will be in a few weeks. We need to test the second prototype a little more, and also see how the hard anodizing turns out.

Snakedriver
December 22, 2010, 12:58 PM
Here's some pictures of KMO's Mo-Rod on my 183-series Mini. Fits great & shoots great. The rod really helps eliminate the first round flyers and stringing due to barrel heating. It takes about 5-minutes to install with no modification to the gun required. :cool:

goodspeed(TPF)
December 22, 2010, 02:40 PM
As for this sight/brake we're now calling the "Mo-Reaper"

Fixed it for ya. :)

Microgunner
December 23, 2010, 09:24 AM
In the meantime, we're wide open for some cool names guys. Have at it...

"ICBIAM" (I can't believe it's a Mini)

KMO
December 23, 2010, 09:42 AM
"ICBIAM" (I can't believe it's a Mini)

Uh...Hmmm... How exactly would that acronym be pronounced? Ick-Bam? I'm no marketing genius, but I think that one misses the mark somehow...I could be wrong though. :confused:

Microgunner
December 23, 2010, 09:46 AM
"Ick-bee-am" accent on the Ick.

Or you could leave out the "it's a" initials and have:

"ICBM" (I CAN'T BELIEVE it's a MINI) which of course will bring to mind "inter-continental ballistisic missile"

KMO
December 23, 2010, 10:09 AM
I'm just a little dubious about that whole "ick" part of your idea. But, yours being the only offering thus far, yours is the front runner submittal at this time...:eek:

rickyrick
December 23, 2010, 11:07 AM
Mo-Reaper-Pro,
Reaper14,
Mother of all______

The ick thing is appealing as onion tea.lol

looks like its time to run a poll

Microgunner
December 23, 2010, 01:27 PM
Mo Stable. We finish what Ruger began.

KMO
December 23, 2010, 06:50 PM
Oh Lord...Help me...

Microgunner
December 23, 2010, 07:05 PM
What? No on this one too? I'm gonna hafta drag out the A game. :D

goodspeed(TPF)
December 23, 2010, 09:06 PM
Like I said in post 78, Mo-Reaper. I think it fits not only the product but also your current business model and is short, simple and to the point. :)

Mo-Brake is also an alternative.

TriumphGuy
December 23, 2010, 09:54 PM
You can call it a Mo-**** for all I care. Being a very happy Mo-Rod owner, I'll be in line for one when they're ready to go.

KMO
December 24, 2010, 09:05 AM
Like I said in post 78, Mo-Reaper.

OK goodspeed...What do you think of this?

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/kbmoffitt/GrimReaperLogo-1.jpg

rickyrick
December 24, 2010, 12:06 PM
Gots my vote ...

Merry Christmas

goodspeed(TPF)
December 24, 2010, 12:16 PM
OK goodspeed...What do you think of this?

Now that's just Bad Axe!! Run with it bro. Me likey. :)

Snakedriver
December 24, 2010, 01:11 PM
Awesome!!! :cool:

Microgunner
December 24, 2010, 02:41 PM
Product looks good but I'm not much into the evil black arts stuff. You lost me with Mo-Reaper. Sorry.

salvadore
December 24, 2010, 03:00 PM
Just as an aside testimonial recommendation, I purchased a Mo-Rod a year or so ago for my Mini-14 tactical and it tightened up groups particularly on the promotional and surplus ammo by about half. 2" or so on said ammo and I may have gained some on my reloads, they already shot pretty good in the mini.

teeroux
December 24, 2010, 04:49 PM
Make one bored for the mini 30 and call it "some mo-reaper":D

Mannlicher
December 24, 2010, 05:16 PM
VolucrisI'm not seeing how it would help accuracy at all.

One thing that it may do to help accuracy, is to reduce barrel harmonics. I added a muzzle brake to myi Mini some time back, and that alone tightened groups a LOT.

KMO
December 24, 2010, 05:19 PM
Product looks good but I'm not much into the evil black arts stuff.

I don't want to give the wrong impression. I'm not into the evil black arts stuff either. The tie-in here is the "hood." That's as deep as it goes. Heck, I'm still open to good ideas, but some of the suggestions I was getting were...uh...a little shy...:cool:

fmj50
January 8, 2011, 12:25 PM
I was going to try that back in June 2010, but I was concerned about the effects on an aluminum muzzle device and was also warned to use steel by people I know in the gun part business for decades.
But, it sounds like you have done your homework.
I never went past the drawing board & cutting first blank.
Nice work, I hope it sells well.

Damon / True Shot Technologies LLC

ndking1126
January 8, 2011, 01:15 PM
KMO, I've been on the fence for some time about the Minis, but the more parts like this, the better they look to me! Good stuff.. just to reiterate what others have said, I would really like some before and after pictures in regards to accuracy.

And against my better judgement, I'm going to comment on the Volucris comments. Unless the posts have been edited since they were orignally posted, the guy was just asking legitimate questions, I don't see anything that was mean-hearted or trying to meant to discourage you from making the product. The firearms industry has been subject to "snake oil" products just like any other. Asking questions is a smart idea. Sales is about overcoming objections and informing people of your product.. seems to me like that had been a perfect opportunity. But that's just my opinion, take it or leave it and I won't be offended either way.

Keep up the great work! I commend you for trying to get feedback from knowledgeable people, as I do think this is the best way to get a great product.

KMO
January 8, 2011, 07:34 PM
We're going to follow up with some additional tests, but after 200 more rounds fired through our Proto #1, and 100 initial rounds through our Proto #2, we're not seeing any deterioration whatsoever when we put a bore light in these two brakes. Keep in mind, #1 was coated with a baked-on gun finish, and #2 was was hard anodized with an industrial treatment that gave it a look similar to MP3, but slightly darker. Both prototypes were machined from 6061 alloy, a good material, but not up to the specs of 7075-T6 Alloy that we will be using for our first production run. We're getting pretty close to a game plan now, and will likely produce an initial run of 25 units, all of which will be sold at a discount to interested gun forum participants, many of whom have offered valuable input toward this design. We will offer silver and satin black finishes, and all units will be hard anodized... ;)

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk26/kbmoffitt/Reaper_Logo_Proto.jpg