PDA

View Full Version : My M1 Garand!!

golfnutrlv
December 16, 2010, 01:37 AM
Hi everyone, recently recieved my Springfield M1 Garand from the CMP! I'm Loving it, SO GLAD I WENT AFTER ONE!!

Rifle is a Springfield reciever, H&R Bolt and barrel. Most of the other parts are Springfield far as I can tell. The Stock is a CMP replacement, I would have preferred an original, but obviously it was replaced for a reason Serial number puts it at November 1943.

I really cannot put into words how proud I am to own this rifle. Not just from a Second Amendment perspective, but owning a true piece of American History. It is especially meaningful for me because American History, especially World War II is one of my favorite subjects. This rifle is an icon, of a generation of American's who gave their lives to defend my freedom, so that I could one day prosper and have the life I do. A fact that is ignored all too often by American's these days. Never forget what a privilege it is to be an American! Most importantly, never forget those who gave all for our country, and thank them at every opportunity.

Pics in the album...

http://s484.photobucket.com/albums/rr205/golfnutrlv/M1%20Garand/

the rifleer
December 16, 2010, 03:17 AM
Thats a gorgeous rifle. Theres nothing like the feeling of a new rifle in your hands. I don't have an m1... yet :)

madcratebuilder
December 16, 2010, 05:55 AM
That is nice. I keep looking at those but don't need another caliber:(

az_imuth
December 16, 2010, 07:52 AM
golfnutrlv,

Congrats on a fine looking rifle!

All sorts of thoughts run through my head whenever I pick up one of those WW2 era rifles. There's just no telling where they've been or what they've seen.

pbratton
December 16, 2010, 09:00 AM
Congrats and welcome to the club. There is nothing that shoots like an M1, it is one of my favorite rifle to shoot. Sometimes I feel as if I am just the prop holding the rifle and it is doing all the work.

I do love the look of the new stock and am thinking of restocking mine instead of refinishing the original one.

overland
December 16, 2010, 09:06 AM
Congrats on the M1. I have two from them and love them. Make sure you get one of their WWII bayonets that they just started selling.

dahermit
December 16, 2010, 09:13 AM
I had the privilege of being one of the last people to be issued an M1 in Basic Training at Fort Knox in 1962. We, A-11-3, noticed that most of the other training companies were carrying the new-fangled M14. Mine was number 1603418.
On qualification day I started out hitting almost all the targets as they popped up ("Train fire" not "Know Distance"), but as the recoil took its toll, I began to miss some. I ended up shooting "Sharpshooter", just five hits from "Expert", but beat the company commander by five hits.

gdvan01
December 16, 2010, 09:31 AM
Sweet!
Welcome to the 'gotta love that ping' club.

Mals9
December 16, 2010, 08:18 PM
I got the same rifle, March '44, new stock and all. I echo your sentiments. What a great feeling to be able to pop off a couple shots and hear the "ping".
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a200/mals9/SA%20M1/100_2183.jpg
It is my first centerfire and I have no desire for anything else.
Mals

Toolman
December 16, 2010, 08:31 PM
Gotta love those Garands. Mine's a '43 Springer. Just remember to use your pinky on the op rod so you don't get Garand thumb! LOL!

SIGSHR
December 16, 2010, 08:36 PM
Excellent. All original is nice, but even a rebuild is a piece of history.

dreamweaver
December 16, 2010, 08:39 PM
thats a beautiful re arsenal gun! you just can't beat the cpm garands for value!
jmho

kraigwy
December 16, 2010, 10:43 PM
I love the Garands, I got mine in 81 or 82 from DCM (forerunner of CMP). Six digit SA, made in Aug 41.

I got it on a Thursday, was in the process of packing for a rifle match in Hawaii, I figured why not, cleaned it, took the M14 out of the case and threw in the Garand.

My first shots out of my Garand was my 200 yard Off Hand Sighter's starting the NMC. Even being the first time I shot it, I still held my own against the Marines at K-Bay.

Since then I've shoot the heck out of it, shooting it in sniper schools (we were using M1C/Ds), boiling the sap out of the stock several times.

Even though the throat erosion gage measures "8", the other day I shot three clips through it, and it still shoots 2.3 inches at 100 yards. Plenty good enough for Garand Matches.

Take a CMP GSM Clinic and start shooting your rifle in Garand matches, Those old war horses deserve to show us they still have it in them.

FALacy
December 16, 2010, 11:29 PM
Garands are the best. I have a correct HRA I got from the CMP and it will never leave me. It shoots 2 MOA with Greek surplus.

bamaranger
December 17, 2010, 12:33 AM
You have salvaged a piece of American History. I often wonder where mine went and who carried them.

At a public range, they always seem to draw admirers. Surprisingly, many younger shooters do not know much about the M1 in my corner of the world.

Iron Man
December 17, 2010, 01:34 AM
I have two M1 Garrands and they are my favorite rifles. I went to CMP and hand picked mine. I got there and borrowed a set of guages to check the barrels. I stumbled across one covered in grease with white paint speckled all over it. The barrel guaged at zero! I boght it on the spot. Got it home, restored it and in the trap door on the but plate where the cleaning kit would go I found hand written range notes from a soldier to whom it had once been assigned. Once I finished the restoration, the notes went back into the stock where they belong. I checked the notes at the range and set my rear sight for four hundred yards. Bulls eye! It is the best shooting rifle I own.

Great choice.

Iron Man
December 17, 2010, 01:37 AM
Oh, I also bought a Kimber .22 target rifle at CMP. Check into those as well. $600.00 may seem expensive for a single shot bolt action rimfire, but it is amazingly accurate. People overlook those, but they are new in the box, never fired. Today these would easily be $1,800.00 target rifles if you bought one at a retail store and the old Kimber company was still in business.

Volucris
December 17, 2010, 02:04 AM
I want one really bad I just am worried about getting one with a meh bore.

Iron Man
December 17, 2010, 02:20 AM
Don't be afraid to order one from CMP. They are a great bunch and know more about old rifles than anyone you would meet. Buy a service grade rifle...you won't be dissappointed. The lower quality will be rack grade, but even then they are good shooters.

Wag
December 17, 2010, 10:30 AM
For years, I've been wanting a Garand but haven't put out the cash for it yet. I need to do some more homework and start looking.

It still may not be the next gun I buy but it's going to be close to it.

Congrats on your purchase. Nice looking rifle!

--Wag--

Prof Young
December 17, 2010, 12:56 PM
I recall holding a Garand at a gun auction and thinking how heavy it was. Those GI's had to haul those things all over Europe. Amazing. But a great weapon.

chris in va
December 17, 2010, 01:44 PM
That is nice. I keep looking at those but don't need another caliber

Don't hesitate, buy one now while you still can for ~$500. You'll kick yourself later. I drove six hours to the North store for mine, worth every penny.

Mine is a 'Field' grade as someone came along and bought every Service they had. Fortunately the mechanicals are Service in condition (gauges 1.5 on both ends), just the wood was pretty beat up...which I like, as it has history. Actually looks like it saw some field use.

Longdayjake
December 17, 2010, 02:22 PM
Just remember to use your pinky on the op rod so you don't get Garand thumb!

That sounds like a way to ensure that you do get Garand thumb. If you have to use your pinky in order to operate any military rifle then you need to act a little more manly when loading it. :p

Just shove the clip in there nice and hard and dont let go of the top bullets with your thumb until you are ready for that bolt to slam home. The only time I have ever seen anyone get hurt by a garand is when they were being "gentle" with their gun.

Kreyzhorse
December 17, 2010, 04:44 PM
Congrats! I'd love to have one of those. Even one that's been beat to hell and back would be a welcome addition to my stable.

Chris_B
December 17, 2010, 06:41 PM
I really cannot put into words how proud I am to own this rifle. Not just from a Second Amendment perspective, but owning a true piece of American History. It is especially meaningful for me because American History, especially World War II is one of my favorite subjects. This rifle is an icon, of a generation of American's who gave their lives to defend my freedom, so that I could one day prosper and have the life I do. A fact that is ignored all too often by American's these days. Never forget what a privilege it is to be an American! Most importantly, never forget those who gave all for our country, and thank them at every opportunity.

Well said

Congratulations on your M1. I put another coat of boiled linseed oil on mine the other day as I sat next to the Xmas tree, had a glass of scotch, and listened to Frank Sinatra sing carols. A finer night I haven't had since, well, to be honest since I almost wrecked that wedding, but that's another story...;)

twins
December 17, 2010, 07:09 PM
Why is there a $200 difference between the Winchester and the Springfield/H&R made rifles?

Chris_B
December 17, 2010, 07:13 PM
In general, Winchesters can be considered more collectible for some people because they should be WWII rifles. If my memory serves (and in this cae I think it does) Winchester only made M1s during the timeframe in which the M1s could be issued for military service just prior to and during US involvement in WWII

Why that translates into 200 more, I can't say, not being an expert on Win M1s, but there is a collectibility standpoint to consider

alloy
December 17, 2010, 07:13 PM
Nice rifle!

bassfishindoc
December 17, 2010, 07:35 PM
That is a great rifle! You will love it. I got mine a few months ago and love mine. The next thing you are going to want to do is compete in a couple of CMP matches. They are fun and a great way to get to know your rifle, have fun!

dreamweaver
December 17, 2010, 08:05 PM
my garand is from cmp, but this paratrooper came from 3 prior owners. allegedly it started out at cmp, but i've never seen cpm offer these. :confused:
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/9717/pix67971312.jpg

Toolman
December 17, 2010, 09:47 PM
I can remember Garands going for $380.00 each back in the late 1970's...Most were good shooters. I was raising a family back then, so I didn't get one. I finally bought one in 2007 & regret not getting sooner in those old deals. But I love my Garand!

FALacy
December 17, 2010, 10:23 PM
$380 in 70's dollars is a lot more than $600 in today's.

kraigwy
December 18, 2010, 12:31 AM
Mine was a DCM rifle, delivered for $112.70 in 1981 or 82. It's a war time (Aug 1941, so I guess its really a pre-war. 6 diget serial number 304XXX.

overland
December 18, 2010, 09:11 AM
They offer those daily in their auctions. You can bid on one right now if you like. Be prepared to pay well over $1000.

TimT
December 19, 2010, 01:42 AM
Dreamweaver, look at the auctions. It seems like there is always one up for auction.

Oops, I was late on that one! I got beat to the punch.

HKGuns
December 19, 2010, 07:23 PM
I have three CMP rifles...I love them all and will never sell them.

JAN '44 SA
http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s2/v1/p746547376-5.jpg

April '43 IBM
http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v2/p1048261144-5.jpg

Sept '42 WRA
http://hkguns.zenfolio.com/img/s10/v18/p878545450-5.jpg