PDA

View Full Version : M1A handguard is loose

tostado22
December 12, 2010, 08:22 AM
I recently bought an M1A (slightly used but in great shape) but the only thing that bothers me is that the front handguard is very loose and rattles around. It doesnt affect operation or anything, I just dont like loose parts. Im kinda out of town for now so I dont have access to it but does anyone have any suggestions to tighten that up?

Ive seen the new hanguards from Fulton Armory. I have several parts from them and trust their parts, however before I bought one I wanted to get some actual opinions on how well it works. Anyone here have experience with those or how they fit up with a SA standard?

AK103K
December 12, 2010, 09:16 AM
Handguards are cheap. Try Freds.

I've also taken a piece of folded paper towel or tin foil, and made a "shim" with both M1's and M1A's, with good results. Nothing tight, just enough to take up the slack and stop the rattle. They werent match rifles, but it didnt seem to bother accuracy in any fashion.

alloy
December 12, 2010, 09:31 AM
Silicone caulk.
But for me a loose handguard is a good thing. I have spent a few hours making a few loose.
A loose band causeing it tho, not so much.

tostado22
December 12, 2010, 09:48 AM
AK, thats probably what I will do. Im curious to know tho, if a new one or a new clip will stop the rattling.

Alloy, just wondering, but any reason you like a loose handguard?

alloy
December 12, 2010, 09:55 AM
A loose handguard with clearance at both ends and not touching the stock, means it can't keep pressure on the barrel or influence its return to zero as the band settles around the ferrule. It allows movement, without influencing movement or dampening harmonics.

I have had two new rifles that actually used the handguard as the only means of pressure at the front band/ferrule. Namely SA's synthetic stocks, not the fiberglass. People work very hard to get a proper pressure up there thru bedding and stock fitment and the handguard lousing it all up in any way seems counterproductive. A little silicone on a loose handguard with maybe 1/16 clearance down each side, works for my purposes as a casual shooter who still likes to rule out the simple things.

This is just my understanding of the proper relationship of parts, limited tho it may be....

pythagorean
December 12, 2010, 10:20 AM
That handguard should be loose.

AK103K
December 12, 2010, 11:16 AM
I dont advocate making them "to" tight, but I also hate things that rattle.

I fully understand what alloy is getting at, and for a rifle I would use for target shooting, I would go with what worked best. Sometimes though, things dont always work as you might think, and the gun might just like things like they arent supposed to be. You just never really know. In theory, loose in this respect is probably better.

Like I said earlier, I've done it on a couple of rifles (not match guns), and never had any problems. I didnt make them so tight it was hard to get back together, but just enough they didnt rattle, and there was still room to move as the gun warmed up.

Hey, its the cheap way out and if it doesnt work, you can try and find one that is over sized, and go from there, fitting as you go.

tostado22
December 12, 2010, 04:20 PM
Ill probably go with the paper or something soft under part of it just it wont rattle when I move the rifle around. Shouldnt affect accuracy. Thanks for the help yall

THORN74
December 13, 2010, 01:16 AM
Fulton Armory hand guards are great ...just replaced the one on my scout with a std version in black from fulton....fits great looks great

decided the scout mount wasnt for me