PDA

View Full Version : Browning BAR Question

bshefa
December 10, 2010, 11:53 AM
Okay, so I have the itch to buy a new rifle. I have always wanted a Browning BAR in 06 or 308.

What I have found is that there are two different receivers available. The Safari is made of steel and is heavier. The LongTrac and ShortTrac are made of billet aluminum alloy. I like the lightness of the LongTrac/ShortTrac (especially in the oil finish) but am worried about the alluminum meeting a steel barrel. I am pretty anal about accuracy and want at least close to MOA out of this rifle without more money spent (They are expensive enough)

Do any of you have any experience with the aluminum receivers and what kind of accuracy do you get?

I have a cheapo 7400 I get right under 2 MOA out of(If shot slowly) so I don't want to go to an expensive beautiful rifle if it won't shoot straight!

Thanks

TheGoldenState
December 10, 2010, 12:12 PM
No experience with the Alum, but have the BAR Safari. The BAR is the standard for semi-auto rifle, and the Safari is adding a cherry on top. Not to mention one of the most beautiful rifles there is.

Scorch
December 10, 2010, 12:30 PM
There should be no issues with the aluminum receiver affecting accuracy. The bolt locks into the barrel extension, so you have a steel-to-steel lockup, like all BARs. The aluminum receiver reduces the weight of the Long Trac/Short Trac significantly compared to the Safari, and that should be a bonus in the field. The heavier Safari is a classic in itself, but if weight is an issue, the lighter rifle wins.

Black Frog
December 10, 2010, 12:36 PM
Browning BAR Stalker Carbine with aluminum receiver.

First outing after getting scope mounted and dialed in with cheapo Rem 150 Core-lok ammo:

http://www.blackfrogmusic.com/pics/temp/stalker.jpg

bshefa
December 10, 2010, 12:43 PM
That's a pretty nice group

Let me clarify more of my concern. If the optics are mounted on the aluminum would this allow more POI shift with hand, rest or bag pressure to the receiver?

warbirdlover
December 10, 2010, 12:44 PM
Being a former metallurgist I would go with steel. Aluminum is not a strong metal and fatigues much faster.

Black Frog
December 10, 2010, 12:56 PM
Browning has been making the aluminum reciever model on their BAR's and BLR's for years now. Who knows how many thousands (tens of thousands?) of these aluminum receiver models are out there in use.

If there was any problem, even the slightest hint of one, for this aluminum receiver don't you think it would have surfaced by now?

Especially with the internet forums where you get people reporting the littlest of gripes that get blown out of proportion, I still have yet to see reported problems with the aluminum receiver. Mostly the reports I see for the BAR's are how well they seem to shoot.

I was a little concerned years ago when I saw the aluminum receivers, but I don't give it a second thought anymore. I had never owned Browning before, and when I saw that BAR Carbine come up for sale this past year, I snagged it without hesitation.

The BAR has given the best groupings out of any semi-auto I have had (several 7400's and 750's).

bshefa
December 10, 2010, 01:06 PM
I am going to buy one but I just have to find the finish I want. I will post how it does. If I'm not happy with it... it is a Browning and I can probably recoup most of my money!

Que
December 10, 2010, 01:45 PM
I have a Safari in .270 and no rifle makes me grin like that one. I'd go with steel.

bshefa
December 10, 2010, 05:52 PM
Bought a safari in 3006 today... will let yall know how it shoots when I get a chance

BusGunner007
December 11, 2010, 12:46 AM
What bbl. configuration did you get? BOSS/plain/sights???

You will love that rifle/cartridge combo. :D
Congratulations.

bshefa
December 11, 2010, 11:43 AM
I got it with no sights as I am going to mount a classic 1980s Leupold VXII 3x9x40 on it that I have. It is glossed as is the rifle. The Safari was on sale at the local gun shop, but they didn't have one with BOSS. Considering the prices were lower than Gunbroker, I bit. I really don't like muzzle breaks because of the noise. I am sure the BOSS is nice, but I really don't think it is for me.
Can't wait to get a spare day to go sight in... then hopefully I get to do some hunting with it after Christmas!

Fusion
December 11, 2010, 12:02 PM
Let us know how it shoots. It sounds like a nice rifle. As for the Boss, I met a guy at the range a few weeks back that had one on an A Bolt. That thing was accurate, but it was loud as heck. I got to talking to him about it and he told me he liked the rifle, but that his only complaint about it was the noise. I could see what he meant. Shooting next to him, it hurt my ears even with ear plugs. That being said, it was probably worth it for the accuracy.