PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Style 22

woodman45
December 5, 2010, 11:23 AM
I have been cosidering a Ruger SR 22. I know it is an 10 22 in cover up. I own a 10 22 now and do not have any problems.
Next was the S&W M&P 15-22. After spending time on the S&W forum and reading about all the owners that had to send their 15-22's back to the factory because of FTF and FTE I am recosidering that also.
Then I read about the Spikes ST-22 M4 Carbine. It is a lot more pricy than the others but from the pictures it appears to be more of a true AR 15 design and has a lot less plastic in it.
Does any one have any experience with the ST-22? I would appreciate your feedback on this subject.

patrickmn
December 5, 2010, 02:53 PM
I thought I'd defend the M&P15-22 for a second. I bought one late this spring and after about 3000 rounds I haven't had many problems. A maximum of 5 stovepipes are all the failures to eject I've had. I figure I've had about 10-20 failures to fire. Plastic isn't an issue for me. The bolt, slide rails, and everything else that needs to be metal is metal. I'm not saying if you bought one you would absolutely not have a problem with it, but if you do S&W will fix it. I will say that mine has been as fun as and more reliable than my other .22 rifles.

I don't know anything about Spikes. I have a 10/22 and it is great. I'd rather buy another 10/22 and customize it myself than buy an SR-22, though.

ethan95
December 5, 2010, 03:37 PM
I personal prefer the S&W M&P15-22 over the Ruger SR-22, i don't own either, but I've shot both. I own a 10/22, and i love it, so Nothing against Rugers, i just don't like the fact the the SR-22 feeds 10/22 style mags, and doesn't have a charging handle. I think that an AR style firearm is better with an AR style Mag, and a charging handle. I've decided to get a .22 bolt carrier for my M&P15 for Christmas :D

JWT
December 5, 2010, 04:36 PM
Go for the M&P 15-22. I've had mine for over a year, put hundreds of rounds through it, and have had no problems of any kind. It is much closer to the 'big' ARs in all respects. I've found mine to be very accurate and really fun to shoot.

Have there been some issue with the gun - yes. Has S&W been good about correcting any issue for the owners with problems - absolutely.

I don't hesitate to strongly reccommend the 15-22 to anyone that considers one.

woodman45
December 5, 2010, 04:43 PM
Thanks for all your input. I really want an AR Style 22 because I am on a fixed income. 22 ammo is really enexpensive compared to 223.The AR 15 is most is my most desirable. I do reload,, but at my stage of life I don't want to put money into somthing like dies, etc. that my family will have to dispose of. My only regret is not moving out of that $%&@# state of New Jersey years ago when I could have enjoyed the freedoms here in the sunshine state. Right now I shoot in my backyard and all my neighbors shoot in their backyards on this dead end road. If any of you guys travel to Disney with your guns come on over. I am less than 30 min. from the Magic Kindom. I guess that is upstate Pa. in me.

Quentin2
December 5, 2010, 05:30 PM
I would go with the S&W M&P15-22 or Colt/Walther M4 .22. I went with the Colt last summer mainly because it looks and feels so much like a real M4. Been very happy with it and its reliability but for low cost training the S&W operates more like an M4 and uses a standard AR FCG. I'm really tempted to also get the S&W.

Most people go with the S&W but take a close look at the Colt if you can find one for $450 or so.

Ted
December 5, 2010, 06:30 PM
I have a SR22 and find it to be very accurate. You don't have a long magazine sticking out in your way. I bought a couple of rail mounts and have a light and forearm post. I actually bought to stop coons and skunks from digging in my yard at night. Work well with a red dot 2X.

bozzman3
December 6, 2010, 08:57 AM
I have the M&P 15-22 also.This gun is just great.I have shot over 1500 round thru it and has never been cleaned!Just took it outof the box and went to town!It still functions and works great.Same controls as a AR,same trigger group and a lifetime warranty from a company that will be around for a while.I am sure the Ruger is a great gun also but you have a 10/22 so go with something different!

leathermarshmallow
December 6, 2010, 10:44 AM
I have both the 15-22 and a 10/22. They both are great guns. My son loves his 15-22 and has put lots of doo dads on it. It shoots well and is accurate. I am so jealous, that I am thinking of buying one when I get the chance.

viking499
December 6, 2010, 10:58 AM
I have a Sig 522 and love it.

JIMSPD9
December 6, 2010, 01:21 PM
Colt/Umarex 22 was my choice last year. My late father in-law left 3000+ rnds of 22 and I'm shooting them with few problems.

It likes newer copper coated bullets a lot more than those old soft nosed lead rnds. You will have a feed problem once in a while with the latter of the two. Should be no sweat when I run out of Dad's old stuff.

The a-2 carring handle is removeable on colt (I don't know about the others) so I put on a $49.95 Rock River mount with a mid priced scope.

I did a 25 yrd zero with a MILSPEC M-16 target and on my 75 yrd home range it will kill diet Coke cans with no problem.

The Colt looks just like it's big brother M-4 and is easy to maintain.

Hey it's a COLT

JIM S.

BODAME
December 6, 2010, 02:14 PM
I also have the Colt AR.
Approx 2000 rounds down range so far,Excellent Firearm for the money

jsimmons
December 6, 2010, 04:04 PM
I also have a M&P15-22. Never a problem - ever. My only complain is that it takes s - o l - o - n - g to load the magazines, and so little time to empty them. :)

The problems you typically hear about are either a) early production rifles, or b) user error (using the wrong ammo). Buy a new one (as opposed to one that's been used) and you will most likely get a rifle that's had the updates already done to it.

Last time I was at the range with mine, a guy at the next shooting postion had one that was giving him problems. He was shooting bulk standard velocity ammo. I gave him a hundred rounds of CCI mini mags, and he didn't have a single failure with it.

CenterTree
January 2, 2011, 10:16 PM
Got the M&P15-22 for my boy for Christmas. Took it out today (Jan 2) to shoot second shot was a Failure to Eject! Had to clear spent shell and was unable to get more than 2 or 3 shots off in a row without a FTE. VERY disappointed with this rifle!:mad:

Quentin2
January 3, 2011, 12:42 AM
CenterTree, what brand ammo are you using? Try Federal or Winchester value packs at Walmart.

patrickmn
January 3, 2011, 01:27 AM
You might want to try the ejector fix that you could find on youtube, or call S&W and put their lifetime warranty to use.

Storm27m
January 3, 2011, 03:20 PM
CMMG also makes a dedicated 22lr AR....starting at around $500

JWT
January 3, 2011, 05:57 PM
I've had my S&W M&P 15-22 for well over a year, put several thousand+
rounds through it, and have not had one problem of any kind. The "plastic" receiver has never been an issue with me - just look at the number of handguns manufactured with the same materials.

The way the 15-22 is stripped is almost identical to it's larger brothers.

I find it to be very accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. Doubt that you'd be disappointed if you bought one.

cajun47
January 3, 2011, 07:31 PM
forget s&w, get the sig 522. cycles anything. i have shot 1,500 rounds of all brands bulk ammo. had two failure to feed within the first five 25 round mags and 0 since. love it.

they where and may still be on sale here:
http://www.lafayetteshooters.com/site.php

i payed $368!

chineseboxer
January 3, 2011, 11:36 PM
For you S&W owners who are having failures, make sure you are loading the mags properly. Those rounds need to be staggered or you will have issues. My first 2 mags gave me fits, now a few thousand rounds later I can't remember a failure. This gun comes to the range with me EVERY time I go. You can run this gun like your fighting a war without going broke

essohbe
January 4, 2011, 01:16 AM
I have the Nordic Components kit. The SR-22 uses the exact same thing but it is stamped Ruger" instead of "Nordic Components"

If you want to save some $$$, buy a used 10|22 barrel and complete receiver + trigger group and then stick it in a Nordic chasis. You can then pick and choose what you want to do as far as the float tube and butstock goes, and you can also get the adjustable v-block if you got a heavy barrel. The SR-22 has a stupid barrel block that touches the barrel half way forward in an attempt to support it but then this takes away from it really being "free-floated."

Well, with the factory barrel you might not see the difference in accuracy but if you might be planning on putting a target barrel on there then this is just another thing to keep in mind.

rodent.22
January 4, 2011, 01:48 AM
I have the Colt/Umarex M4 OPS, thousands of rounds, good arm. I have the M&P 15/22P pistol, excellent arm, shoots anything. Both on a par with each other....:D

fredeee
January 4, 2011, 07:08 AM
I shot a friends ST-22 from Spike's and it's as close as you're going to get to an authentic AR15 experience in a .22, sans the recoil of a .223. A lot of the cheaper alternatives from S&W/Colt are mostly polymer, the Spike's is all metal, looks/feels/smells just a like an AR. I believe the Ruger is all metal as well, and read great things about it, but in my opinion looks more like a recreational type rifle. If you're looking for the military look/feel, I'd suggest the Spikes. Shoots like a charm too.

Another plus on the Spike's, and don't quote me here, but I believe it's a standard lower which means, if you want, you can buy a .223 upper down the road and have best of both worlds. May be the same benefit with the Ruger, check with the manufacturer before purchasing.

Good luck!

10mmAuto
January 4, 2011, 07:41 AM
After spending time on the S&W forum and reading about all the owners that had to send their 15-22's back to the factory because of FTF and FTE
This is one of those things that probably was true, was blown greatly out of proportion and is now an errornet myth on the scale of DI guns being unreliable and 9/11 being an inside job. I have an M&P 15-22 and my only malfunctions have been ammunition related or me loading the magazine wrong.

I gave him a hundred rounds of CCI mini mags, and he didn't have a single failure with it.
Maybe the rails bolt/bolt carrier (whatever you call it when they're the same thing) were very dirty or running bone dry, mine cycles garbage including Remington subsonic ammunition.

Quentin2
January 4, 2011, 10:51 AM
I agree with rodent.22, I have the Colt/Umarex M4 .22 and looked hard at the S&W as well. I'd say they're on par with each other and you can choose either and be confident it will be reliable. Go for the one that has the features you want.

If the one you choose is not reliable, call customer service and they will make it right. There were teething problems with both guns but most of that has been corrected. No doubt a problem gun slips out but they will fix it.

essohbe
January 4, 2011, 02:49 PM
rodent.22 and Quentin2,

You guys seem to be the exception. I have read more bad reviews of the "Colt"/Umarex than good ones. Be careful, anyone, if you are thinking about buying this rifle. Do your research into it first.

There was this guy on gunbroker that bought a ton of them and lost his ass because they kept getting returned - they were basically crap. He was trying to sell them labeled as different things, like AR-toilet plungers and AR-driveway markers, but not as "rifles" because they wouldn't function as that. Lol.

Magog
January 7, 2011, 05:43 PM
there are a lot of die hard SW M&P fans out there. So much so they take pop shots at Umarex M16 22 for no reason other then hate... :)

I read one guy openly lie and tell others it is a polymer body, when it is all metal German made...

After reading that I bought a M16 22. If they have to lie to bash the gun it must be awesome huh?

essohbe
January 8, 2011, 03:04 AM
If they have to lie to bash the gun it must be awesome huh?

Lol.

I handled one and it was certainly not metal though. It was that plastic that GSG makes most of their guns I've seen out of. Maybe there's a different version out that you got that is metal.

Post some pics if you can.

Quentin2
January 8, 2011, 10:22 AM
Lol.

I handled one and it was certainly not metal though. It was that plastic that GSG makes most of their guns I've seen out of. Maybe there's a different version out that you got that is metal.

Post some pics if you can.

There's a lot of misinformation on both the Colt and S&W .22 AR lookalikes, and definitely a lot of hate for the Colt. Both had initial teething problems but the revised versions today should be fine if you use hi-velocity ammo. And neither one likes to feed Remington Golden Bullet. The early stories keep getting repeated and become urban legends so look at people who have first hand experience. I saw five Colt owners in this thread and all said positive things.

Walther/Umarex says the receivers are made of aluminum and mine certainly is metal. No doubt it's not 7075-T6 milspec but it's plenty strong enough. The Smith of course is made of polymer but still strong enough. Either is a fine gun so I don't know why so many knock them, especially the Colt.

You want pictures? ...
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/Quentin68/ColtM4-22_right.jpg
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz211/Quentin68/ColtM4-22_left.jpg

essohbe
January 9, 2011, 06:28 PM
Pretty decent. How many mags did you get with it?

The one I handled was different. I'm pretty sure they have an updated version now, that's what you got. The finish is way different than the one I had.

They are probably on par with each other then (This one and the S&W).

Quentin2
January 9, 2011, 09:52 PM
Mine came with only one 30rd mag. I came across a couple sales and picked up a few more. Still cost $25 each so not cheap. I think the S&Ws are cheaper and certainly easier to find.

Jimro
January 9, 2011, 11:10 PM
As the owner of a Chiappa M4-22 upper, I recommend anything but a Chiappa.

Haven't had the best of luck with mine. Right now I'm trying to finagle a new firing pin to replace the one that is too short.

Jimro