PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand Gunsmith?

rdx4me
December 2, 2010, 07:45 PM
Just acquired an M1 Garand Tanker and would like to get it inspected and/or repaired so I can start using it.

But I would only like to have a gunsmith that's very knowledgeable and competent with the M1....

RGPM1A
December 2, 2010, 09:02 PM
Might check out this guy was recommended for M14 Clones on another forum. Usually these guys can work on both platforms they are very similar:

Bruce Dow
Dow Arms Room
19250 US Highway 301
Dade City, FL 33523

Flatbush Harry
December 2, 2010, 11:17 PM
Google Tim Schufflin for his website. He builds Tanker Garands and can check yours out, refurbish as necessary and get it back to you range ready at reasonable prices within reasonable times. Check on www.odcmp.com for other thots.

FH

ejhc11
December 3, 2010, 07:13 AM
This is a well known expert on Garands.

http://www.garandguy.com/index.html

overland
December 3, 2010, 10:08 AM
Fulton Armory offers a range of services for the Garand and Carbine.

kraigwy
December 3, 2010, 11:07 AM
Just wondering,

What makes you think it needs repaired?

Does it function? Work the action a few times to see.

How's the muzzle wear? That is a problem with most of these semi auto military rifles, caused by improper cleaning from the muzzle with the jointed steel cleaning rods. This can be checked yourself by taking a surplus (loaded) M2 (150 grn) '06 round. Stick the bullet down the muzzle. Measure the how far from the muzzle to the mouth of the case (neck). 1/4 inch means you have 100 % of the muzzle left, 2/16 75%, 1/8 50% and 1/16 25%.

Next all you have to do is check the head space.

Then Shoot the sucker.

rdx4me
December 4, 2010, 12:20 AM
Kraig,

I've never fired this Garand or any other. I would rather have it inspected and certified GTG before I screw it up...

Action seems to function fine except for the bolt can take a little push in order to seat fully...

I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my weapons...

kymasabe
December 4, 2010, 04:38 PM
I'm another fan of Fulton Armory. Ship them the barreled action and let them go thru it and tell you what it needs.

Arthur_500
June 1, 2011, 03:36 PM
Your bolt may not seat correctly due to the extractor. Check this out or blow up your gun!
There is a spring in the exctractor that is tiny and after 50 years may not have sprung very much. Now it just might be nothing more than a coil of metal and no longer works.
If the extractor does not go into position the bolt may not lock up correctly. this can lead to multiple firings from one pull of the trigger. It can also enable gases to feed into the inner well of the stock. with no place to go the wood will explode sending shards many feet in all directions.

Have your firearm checked out and make sure all the springs are in good order. A spring kit from Brownell's is cheap insurance.