PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions on the 375 H&H

JerryHN
December 2, 2010, 07:18 PM
I currently hunt with a Winchester M70 super grade in 300 win mag, and thinking about moving up to the 375 H&H for larger size game (maybe even an African hunt in the future).

How does the 375 H&H compare to the 300 Win Mag in the following categories?

Recoil
Loudness
Max distance of effectiveness
Barrel life

Also, what is the best 375 H&H rifle on the market right now?

warbirdlover
December 2, 2010, 07:25 PM
Recoil - Maybe a little more
Loudness - About the same
Max distance of effectiveness - Easily 300 yards, maybe more?
Barrel life - Same or maybe better

Ruger 77 or other controlled round feed rifle if you are hunting dangerous game in Africa.

Hog Buster
December 2, 2010, 08:04 PM
Plenty of gun for anything that walks on the face of the earth, probably for a few that don’t too.

Your shock won’t come in the form of muzzle blast or recoil, if will be the cost of the ammo.

Scorch
December 2, 2010, 08:10 PM
Since most rifles chambered for 375 H&H are around 10 lbs, recoil is relatively mild, more like a shove. I used to own an Interarms Mark X rifle in 375 H&H, and I shot it regularly while wearing a lightweight shirt with no ill effects.

Since 375 H&H operates at lower pressure than the 300 Win Mag, muzzle blast is noticeably less sharp.

The trajectory of a 275 gr spitzer from a 375 H&H pretty closely matches the trajectory of a 30-06 with 165 gr bullets, so usable range is about 300 yds.

Barrel life is probably comparable to a 30-06, but I have never personally known anyone who shot one out.

As for which one is best, Sako, CZ, and Winchester make a pretty nice rifle.

taylorce1
December 2, 2010, 08:14 PM
I've shot the .375 H&H and own a .375 Ruger.

Recoil can be very nasty from the bench or prone, totally manageable from field positions off of sticks, sitting or kneeling. Definatly a step up from the .300 win but nothing to be afraid of. You will not even need a brake to manage this rifle.

Loudness it is more of a boom than a crack, you will want to use earplugs for sure but it isn't really any louder than other magnum rifles. Muzzle brakes will make it really loud, I don't recommend them.

Max distance for MPBR will be around 250 yards depending on bullet and muzzle velocity. With practice you can easily stretch that distance to 400 yards. I've killed pronghorn right at 250 yards with my Ruger not much of a test for a 270 grain bullet with a MV around 2800 fps. It pretty much has the same trajectory as a .30-06 shooting 180 grain bullets.

Barrel life is pretty much a non issue with this kind of rifle. Most people do not ever shoot them enough to see hunting accuracy degrade far enoug to need a barrel replacemet. Seriously this rifle could go through several generations in your family before needing the barrel replaced.

Winchester and Browing make rifles in the H&H, Ruger and Howa use the .375 Ruger. Most any maker will produce you one out of their custom shop. It is a great cartridge for hunting anything big game in NA and most of the rest of the world.

Kreyzhorse
December 2, 2010, 08:19 PM
I've never shot a 300 Win Mag so I don't have a point of reference. I have spent some time shoot a Ruger No. 1 in .375 H&H and my buddy hunts whitetail with it every so often.

Here's what I know about. Recoil isn't too bad but its not slouch. You need to keep the rifle tight to your shoulder and I've seen my buddy put 20 rounds through it sighting in a scope and he was pretty beat. In fact, I took over for him. My buddy has got a lot of pride so it took a lot for him to say no mas.

I'd say it's certainly a 200 yard gun and 300 yards wouldn't be a stretch.

Ammo isn't cheap and it isn't something you'll find at Wal-Mart or Dick's Sporting Goods. If you do find it, you won't find a huge selection. Best case you'll find a box or two local, worse case, you'll order off the interweb.

As far as NA game, I won't say the .375 is overpowered, but it puts one hell of a hole in a whitetail. I've seen a 2" exit wound on a deer and it's been the only deer I've seen die before it hit the ground.

If you are truely thinking about Africa, I'd research your game, your country of interest and see what they recommend and/or allow.

As far as best, I think you'd be hard pressed to say there is a single best. The Ruger No. 1 is a sweet gun if you like single shots and I believe Remington makes the 700 in .375 as well.

JerryHN
December 2, 2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks everyone for all the great info. Now I just have to decide between Winchester, CZ, Sako, and Ruger. haha, that wont be easy!

Currently leaning towards the win model 70 safari express since I'm familiar with winchester super grades. Any negatives to the Win 70 safari express?

If price is a non-factor, which of these rifles would you get?

Hog Buster
December 2, 2010, 08:28 PM
The Model 70 is a good choice followed by the Ruger.

taylorce1
December 2, 2010, 08:48 PM

Something like this (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=203957948) one! Or something like these two builds in progress, I could probably afford the top one, but the bottom one is out of my price range.

"Dirty Jim" Mauser 98 in .375 H&H

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/taylorce1/375hhproject9.jpg

Duane Weibe custom .375 H&H

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/taylorce1/duaneweibe.jpg

Bird Dog
December 2, 2010, 08:55 PM
I have never shot a 375. I have shot .300s and the like a plenty.

Question, how would my inline.50 cal when loaded with a 385 grain Great Plains bullet and 100 to 110 grains Pyrodex (aprx 1600 fps) recoil compare with a standard weight .375 H&H and 270 grain loads? Just curious because I know that Encore load will set you back pretty hard on a bench. I would not call it "just a shove". I have both a wooden stock and synthetic for the Encore. That load is very unpleasant with the synthetic and still a hard kicker with the wood stock.

December 2, 2010, 08:58 PM
My vote easily goes to the latest model 70 Winchester chambered for this cartridge. It's got it all and a very reasonable price. See some guys trying to sell this gun way above MSRP. It's around 11-1200 bucks. May get one myself and compare it to my Browning A-Bolt. This A-Bolt is definitely light for this cartridge but that's not all bad.

Penetrated 15 milk jugs filled with water with my Browning 375 using Hornady 300 gr FMJ bullets. 20 bottles on the board next time. Surely that'll stop that bullet. Average for most centerfire bullets is 4-5 jugs.

Bird Dog
December 2, 2010, 09:02 PM
To Jerry. I've owned and own a few Model 70s, have a nice Ruger in .350 Rem Mag and know man who has several CZs. All are good mauser based rifles. I prefer the Model 70.

44 AMP
December 2, 2010, 09:44 PM
A classic cartridge, with a long, and successful history. The only reason the .375 H&H isn't the perfect rifle for all african game is some nations game laws requiring a rifle of .40 or larger for elephant.

I have a Ruger No.1 in .375 H&H, and its pretty heavy for a single shot. Surprisingly so. Recoil is not as bad as a .458 Win, but its nothing to be casual about. A good shooting position is important, otherwise, it will hurt.

Regular US shooting benches do not put you in a good position to handle heavy recoil. The upper body is too low, and generally, leaning forward. Shoot a rifle like the .375 off a regular bench, and it will hurt.

For best bench results, you need a "standing bench rest". One where your upper body is more upright, and you can "give" with the recoil. Sadly, few ranges have one of these. SO, you'r better off getting in a good, solid field shooting position, and sighting in from there. After all, you aren't going to have that benchrest in the game fields, now are you?

Don't shoot it prone, you will regret it.

The 235gr bullet is recommened for US game, and the .375 H&H throws it about 2900fps. Compare that to your .300 magnum with a 180gr at what, 3200fps? The feel of the recoil makes a difference. TO me, the bigger bores shove hard, but not fast. .300s shove fast, and pretty hard. But everybody is different about how they handle the feel. Stock design, and how it fit you makes a big difference too.

JerryHN
December 3, 2010, 01:07 AM
Ok, im going with the Winchester 70 Safari Express in 375 H&H. I think its going for around $1200. If anyone knows of a reason why I should not get this rifle please speak up soon before I blow my cash on it. Anyone ever have problems with this particular rifle?

Thanks a bunch!

lefteyedom
December 3, 2010, 01:45 AM
The 375 H&H recoil ect is about the same as a 338 Win mag shooting 250 grain loads.
Great gun, I have a 375 H&H barrel thread for a Savage 110. ( yes I have the longer box to make it work. Nothing Wrong with a 375, I am building one for Moose, Bear, Elk. Also nothing wrong with the cool factor.

IF and only IF I won the lottery to afford an African trip I would move up to a 416 Class rifle. Elephant, and other beast that weight as much as the Land Rover one hunts from deserve the biggest punch that hunter can handle. Use the 375 on the "lesser game"

woodguru
December 3, 2010, 01:58 AM
In my opinion, and this is just my opinion don't get offended if it works for you, a .375 H&H is severely massive overkill on Ground Squirrels, but again that's just an opinion and does not necessarily mean anything.

.17 HMR seems to do just fine. :D

.300 Weatherby Mag
December 3, 2010, 02:33 AM
.375 H&H is a wonderful cartridge.. The recoil is more like a push compared to the sharp jolt of the weatherby cartridges I'm used to.. Great round and it will kill anything that walks with proper bullet selection..

HiBC
December 3, 2010, 02:34 AM
I have an M-70Laredo,it was a fairly early Winchester "new pre 64 type".Along the way I have been interested in everything I came across in print.I do not know if my comments will apply to the newest series.
It was said the bolt handle is assembled to the bolt body as a press fit over a knurl.For African duty,a small tack of tig weld was recomended at this joint.
It was also said the extractor on my rifle is an MIM part.I have had no trouble.but a machined aftermarket part may be a good idea.The one I saw in Brownells is spec'd as being O-1 tool steel.I am not sure O-1 would be an optimum steel for an extractor.I would be interested in other sources,or advise.
My .375 Taylor is a necked down .458 Win.My initial development load uses Re=15,shot well and gives me 2600 fps with a 260 Accubond.This is a pretty light rifle,mauser supreme,21 in #4 Douglas bbl,Garrett Accralite stock.The recoil is fun.It moves me,but it doesn't hurt me.Its slow.The pad bottoms out,so I get a second thump.An M-70 375 is a classic.

taylorce1
December 3, 2010, 08:13 AM
It was said the bolt handle is assembled to the bolt body as a press fit over a knurl.For African duty,a small tack of tig weld was recomended at this joint.

I've heard the same thing. I found this quote in a Field and Stream article about D'Arcy Echols whose custom synthetic rifles start out at $13K base price.

An example: I’ve never heard of the bolt handle coming off a Model 70 bolt body. Never. (The handle is press-fit on the die-cast bolt sleeve.) Yet it did happen to an African PH named Robin Hurt, and at a very inconvenient time. But Echols heard of it, and so his shop pins the handle to the sleeve with a steel dowel .200 from the rear of the bolt.

pythagorean
December 3, 2010, 08:31 AM
To me the .375 HH is much easier to shoot than a .338; the recoil is a slower push.

The noise in high power rifles, to me, is pretty much the same from .22-250 to .375 HH. When you shoot a .458 there is a ground shearing "crack" that is a substantial jump to another level of noise that rocks the hillsides and trees and neighboring counties.

Drummer101
December 3, 2010, 09:28 AM
The CZ Ultimate Hunting rifle looks pretty sweet.

pesta2
December 3, 2010, 09:40 AM

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-550-safari-classic/

overland
December 3, 2010, 10:02 AM
I am not sure if barrel life will be that much of a factor as you probably won't fire that rifle too much. Its not cheap to shoot and will turn a few heads at your local range when you let loose with it. I have a Ruger African in .375 and the recoil is pretty wicked. But that's due to the very light weight of the rifle and near useless recoil pad it comes with. CZ has a great selection of 375. They are physically big rifles with big stocks to reduce felt recoil.

Rifleman1776
December 3, 2010, 12:07 PM
Just last night I watched a hunting show where the .375 H&H was used. The hunter downed a big grizzly from about 50 yards with a front quartering shot. The bullet went through the shoulder, heavy bone and all. The bear wiggled and shook for about five seconds then died on the spot.
I don't know if the .375 is overkill for a grizz but, no argument, it does the job.
BTW, those are some big, honking, cartridges.

pythagorean
December 3, 2010, 12:10 PM
My first .375 HH was the Win 70 Super Express. It was a pleasure to shoot and behold. I did not find recoil a problem at all. Accuracy was easily well under 2MOA on any given day.

The .338 recoils much more abruptly and is therefore less pleasant to shoot. It isn't in the same league as the .375HH either.

woodguru
December 3, 2010, 12:38 PM
What you said about the crack of a .458...

When I was watching my friend shoot the Sako .338 Win Mag I bought from him the berm we were shooting at had two foot high grass on it, the grass in a 15 or 20 foot wide section around the target went "whoosh" and was pushed over from the muzzle blast. Faint of heart benchrest shooters packed up their stuff and left.

So I buy this thing from him because I'm impressed by the three cloverleaf groups he shoots for me, get this, for $125 including the Leupold scope, Sako Rings, and a box of shells. I didn't shoot it that day to my chagrin.

I take it out to the range within a few days, get set up and I pop off my first round, perfect X punched in the center of the dot.

But Ouch, I'm shaking my head in shock, this thing is RUDE after benchresting with a .243. One more shot but this time I'm prepared...sort of, one and a half inches away and I realize I am never going to be able to hit something with this thing.

I pack it up, get back to the base, and asked the first guy I saw if he wanted to buy a rifle worth over a thousand dollars for $250, (my wife calls me a Ferengi :D). He says let me see it, and says yeah, I'll go to the bank and get the money.

I am a recoil wuss, I hate .270's, nuff said. But I loved shooting a Barrett I had :).