PDA

View Full Version : H & R Garand

charleslee
December 1, 2010, 07:06 PM
Looking at an H & R Garand as a collector pc. & need your expert help, pls. Real nice condition, matching #'s (5642764). Price - $1200.00. What do you think? Thank you!

MythBuster
December 1, 2010, 07:21 PM
That is from $500 to $600 too much.

RT
December 1, 2010, 09:51 PM
Compare prices with some of these
http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm

Tim R
December 1, 2010, 11:22 PM
I bought one of the correct H&R's from the CMP. Turns out it is a dang nice rifle with a esimated value of $2500.00. I was lucky as it has a LMR barrel which H&R used when they were short on their barrels. IHC got most LMR's which are the better of all USGI's. The stock was in very good shape with proper markings. The rifle looked like it had been mostly unfired. I use the H&R as my John C. Garand match rifle and loan out the others I own to those who don't have a M-1 for the JCG matches.

By the way, M-1's don't have matching numbers, they have drawing numbers which are only period correct.

Flatbush Harry
December 2, 2010, 12:21 AM
You're about to get hosed. I've got an H&R correct grade that I paid $975 for and an H&R Special Grade that went for $795 at the time. CMP now sells them for $1100 and $895 respectively. The diff is that the H&R special grade has a new CMP stock and stock metal.

Tim R is correct.

Net, net, if you qualify, you can get the H&Rs at the above current prices with papers showing provenances from CMP.

Think about it...but you won't have to think very hard if your IQ is > room temp.

FH

tackdriver
December 2, 2010, 08:00 AM
You could be getting hosed if you don't know what you're looking at.

Matching #s means nothing since the serial number is only stamped on the heel of the receiver. Do you mean that it's correct? Like out-of-the-factory correct?

In that case, Flatbush Harry's comment doesn't make sense to me. He says the CMP is selling them for $1,100. A pricetag on the same rifle (assuming you're knowledgable and can tear down the rifle and verify for yourself it's correct) for $100 without the hassle and tremendous lag time of the CMP sounds worthwhile to me.

If you can't, and you have the same scratch laying around and can afford to wait, get yourself a membership to the Garand Collectors Association and buy from the CMP.

charleslee
December 2, 2010, 01:13 PM
OK, thank you fellas for the excellent advice! I'll ask the seller to make sure it's correct. He's reputable, maybe he'll even come down some. I'll also consider the CMP,for sure. It's just that this dealer w/ let me lay it away and that helps alot. But obviously if it ain't worth it... Thanks! Happy Hollidays!

armabill
December 2, 2010, 02:42 PM
I just got an H&R Garand from a private seller for $825. All correct drawing numbers for the time period.

My serial number range is close to his (5640---)

He's asking waaaaaay too much.

overland
December 2, 2010, 04:18 PM
When you buy these from private owners, are you checking the muzzle and chamber for wear with gauges or just taking a chance?

Slamfire
December 2, 2010, 04:57 PM
If it as good as the "Correct Grade" http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm go for it.

I have handled Correct Grades at CMP south and they are outstanding. As close to new as you can get.

If the guy who is selling this thing has the certificate take a look at it. If it has "Collector Grade" than buy it.

Collector grade rifles were the best the CMP sold. Every part was correct and in new condition.

The last of these sold for over $1000, some $1300, and that was around five to ten years ago.

armabill
December 3, 2010, 04:24 PM
My private seller got it from the CMP, he still had the hang tag which stated the TE and ME along with the CMP certificate.

overland
December 3, 2010, 04:37 PM
You can get a service grade one from the CMP for $595 which is in very good condition and a service grade special for $895 or so. I got a service grade special Springfield Armory one and is absolutely mint condition. He is charging a lot (maybe $300 to $600 above what they currently cost) but its a free market. When you say matching numbers, does the bolt number match the receiver? It be pretty amazing to see that. You can meet the CMP requirements and buy them cheaper shipped right to your house. No dealer involved.

charleslee
December 5, 2010, 09:05 AM
Went back to the gun shop & the owner took out the trigger housing & it was correct (H&R) and checked the barrel & it was also H&R. Then, I asked about the throat erosion & since he didn't have a guage available he inserted a 30-06 rd. tip into the barrel & said it went in pretty far & it did appear to. So, being that I don't know enough about Garands, I passed. I ordered a Correct Grade SA from CMP. The AL store owner recommended to me on the phone that since I wanted it as a collector pc., to get a SA, that they have a little higher resale value should I decide to sell it. Plus, he said that the Collector Grades aren't worth $400.00 more just for some certain pc. in front, I don't recall what exactly this pc. was. But, they don't have Collector Grades now anyhow so... Anyhow, can't wait! At least, I'll know exactly what I'm getting, w/ have documentation & the CMP w/ have my info. Thanks for your help. Happy Holidays!!!

rdx4me
December 6, 2010, 05:11 PM
I sure want to get to the CMP South store and do a little shopping...

charleslee
December 22, 2010, 01:53 PM
A week later, I ordered an H&R. So, I'm covered!

OldHoosier
June 24, 2011, 07:34 PM
Just bought a Correct Grade from CMP. Except for a very few handling marks and dings in the stock, I can't tell it's been fired or used. And I've inspected
new Collector grades not even close to this nice. I'd love to fid the specific history on this beauty. Any suggestions??

Chris_B
June 24, 2011, 07:40 PM
Congratulations on the M1 rifle. They are something special. I'm going shooting with my new AR15 tomorrow, and I feel guilty about leaving the M1 behind on the trip :o

Quite hard to find the history of a particular M1 rifle. Unless a soldier happened to record the s/n- which they hardly ever did- it will be next to impossible to tell anything about it, unless it was recorded as some inspector's sample or somesuch.

But possible. Famous story about a man a few years back who found the very same M1 rifle his Father had carried as a soldier. Pop knew the s/n and the son knew the number, went looking for it...and found it

Another famous rifle- an M1A1 this time- was recently sold. It had provenance as a known soldier's Arm. Even tougher with M1A1s since the s/n will not really tell you if it was an M1 carbine or an M1A1 originally

But possible. Improbably but possible. But don't get your hopes up. With most, you may not even learn if it served overseas. My own was made in 1944 and has a 1946 barrel. So it went somewhere and did something, then got re-barreled (probably at Rock Island) and stored. Who knows? Pacific? Europe? Stateside training? I actually suspect the later since it's in such great shape. But who knows.