PDA

View Full Version : Most Popular Scopes for AR-15 platform

JackieNeil
November 26, 2010, 06:23 AM
I have narrowed my choice down to about five scopes, but since this is my first AR-15 DD, I would like to hear what most AR-15 owners are using for their choice of scopes.

lmccrock
November 26, 2010, 09:46 AM
Depends ENTIRELY on what you are going to do with it. Plink at 100 yds? Hunt? Targets at 600 yds?

Lee

demigod
November 26, 2010, 09:52 AM
I'd be fine with a Leupold Mk 4 on an AR. I haven't scoped an AR yet, but I'd probably get a Mk 4 with an ADM forward mount for good eye relief.

wnycollector
November 26, 2010, 09:54 AM
It really depends on what you are trying to do with your AR. I have two rifles and a dedicated .22lr upper. All of my AR's have scopes. The 14.5 BCM has a 1.5-5x32 Weaver Nitrex, the 20" has a 2-10x42 Nitrex and the .22 upper has a 3-9x32 centerpoint.

Qtiphky
November 26, 2010, 09:59 AM
I have two AR style rifles and each has a different brand and type of scope. My Armalite has a Red Dot for quick and fast shooting. It has never been a MOA gun (about 3 inches is the best this gun does) so if I can hit a man size target at 100 yards with quick optics, I'm good with that gun. My Bushmaster has a Leapers 4-12x42 Mil Dot ranging scope. Absolutely love this scope on this gun. I can use the mil dots to range targets or I can use the Adjustble Objective range finder on the side and then just dial the scope for my known drop at that distance and bingo. Took a coyote at around 185 yards with a head shot with this combination.

Danny45
November 26, 2010, 10:09 AM
I have a Vortex Strike Fire on my rifle. That's because I can't afford a Aimpoint or Eotech right now. My rifle is/will be used for home defense and plinking inside the 300 yard mark.

JackieNeil
November 26, 2010, 05:38 PM
Is there an all purpose scope for the AR-15, such as quick close shooting and long range shooting?

HiBC
November 26, 2010, 07:32 PM
A Leupold VX3 2.5-8 with a B+C reticle is a darn useful scope,from an AR to a big game rifle

MMcfpd
November 26, 2010, 08:05 PM
Is there an all purpose scope for the AR-15, such as quick close shooting and long range shooting?

Some people mount a mini red dot on a scope for close range and use the scope for longer range.

Although I don't use them predominantly, I've tried a few scopes and settled on Trijicon's TA-31F and TA-33-8. Eye relief has been my biggest concern with scopes on the AR-15 and those two seem to work for me.

NWCP
November 26, 2010, 11:18 PM
I have one AR that I've scoped and another I left with iron sights. The scoped Stag wears a Leupold VII 2x7x33. At 2x I have a wide field of view for close in targets and the 7x gives me 200 yard capability. The scope is light and low profile. I use the rifle primarily for predator/varmint hunting. It works well.

JackieNeil
November 27, 2010, 03:36 AM
What's best close up - long range combo scope setup : the Accog/Reflective or EOTech with magnifier?

lmccrock
November 27, 2010, 09:44 AM
Low power variable scopes work pretty well, range from about $100 to over $2k. I have a 1.1-4x IOR Valdada scope on a competition rifle. I keep it turned to 1.1x unless I know I need 4x. There are numerous 1-4x, and a few spendier scopes which go 1.5-8x, and there is a Schmidt and Bender which is 1-8x, but costs about $2600. Or a Weaver 1-3x, about $150.

I may be doing what MMcfpd said, putting iron sights on an angled mount, and use them close up, and have a slightly higher power scope on top. An example is Daniel Defense (http://danieldefense.com/mounts-1/optics/1-o-clock-offset-rail.html).

Lee

sonrider657
November 27, 2010, 11:55 AM
I have used many and by far, the Trijicon ACOG is my favorite.

Rifleman 173
November 27, 2010, 12:37 PM
I have a 3 by 9 variable on one rifle. I have a 4 by 12 Redfield variable on another rifle. And I have a Millett DMS-1 scope for tactical work at close range on a third rifle. They all work well.

rjrivero
November 27, 2010, 01:02 PM
The scope will depend on the task for the rifle.

The popular optics are the red dots, Aimpoint and Eotech are leading that charge.

Acogs are nice for intermediate distances a 3x or 4x fixed power optic.

The fastest growing segment are the variable power 1-4x optics. Started off with the Leupold CQ/T. Almost as fast as red dots close up, but nice to reach out to 200 or so yards by flicking the power up.

The latest generation of the Leupod Mark 4 series or the Mark AR series are the ones dominating the Tactical Optics Division of USPSA 3 gun.

The Mark 4 has a lighted recticle, which is a nice bonus but costs some $800+.

The Mark AR has a non lighted recticle, but costs only $300 or so.

Depends on what you want to do with it.

I have a CQ/T on one of my rifles, and it works great for that rifle. I also have Eotechs on a couple of my guns, and they are by far my first choice for close in work and fast target acquisition.

igor
November 28, 2010, 08:21 AM
A variable with a lit reticle goes a long way - and short. In IPSC rifle where you typically need to cover distances between 5 to 300 meters fast and accurately enough, and sometimes up to 450, Trijicon Accu-point, Zeiss and Swarowski variables are really popular. 1x-4 to 6x, short end works as a red dot, with plenty of eye relief. You need a rail extension to mount some of these things far enough up front.

I run the new model 1-4x Accu-Points with the red triangle in a 30mm tube on both my Minor and Major ARs, and the old 24mm 1.25-4x on a CZ .22 upper. The one guy that beat me this year in the nationals here had an ACOG with a tiny red dot on top of it for close-up work and the 3rd place guy had a Meopta variable.

Jim243
November 28, 2010, 09:59 AM
I have a 8-32x44 on my bushmaster varminter, it is a long range rifle for 500 yards. I just ordered a carbine length 16 inch AR that will be setup with three sights, a 3-9X40 compact BC scope on top and a compact red dot on a off set mount at 10 o'clock (I'm right handed) as well as iron sights. No one says you have to be limited to one type of sight on a rifle. My hunting rifles are all setup with see through rings so I can use the iron sights for close in as well as a scope for distance on those. You are only limited by your own choices.

Jim

BODAME
November 28, 2010, 10:35 AM
I have and still do use everything from NC Star on my Match Guns to
Swarovski on Select Stuff , depends on Caliber and Purpose.
I have only mentioned 2 but I run other Mfgs.
Over the years I have narrowed down My Acceptable Scope List (Red Dots Included) based Dependability & Durability over Time and Cost.
My 2 Cents

Palmetto-Pride
November 28, 2010, 01:28 PM
The Nikon M-223 series looks pretty interesting.

Mobuck
November 28, 2010, 08:50 PM
I have AR's setup with scopes from a 2x red/green dot to a 3-10 variable but most universally useable have 1.5-5x32 compacts. Wide field of view and enough power for the range of the 223.

JackieNeil
November 29, 2010, 01:20 AM
I'm a newbie about scopes, but just curious about mounting red dots on top of scopes or on 1:00 o'clock side mounts. Are they accurate mounted that way or do they just give a quick look for body hit?

igor
November 29, 2010, 01:54 AM
They're as accurate as the mount is sturdy. I haven't seen a truly bad implementation yet. Plenty good for the purpose.