PDA

View Full Version : Scope for Rem 700 ADL in .308

frumious
November 23, 2010, 11:21 PM
Hi All,

I am about to pull the trigger (yuk, yuk) on the purchase of a Remington 700 ADL in .308 from Academy Sports here in the DFW area. It will be a range gun only as I do not hunt. Typical distance to target would be 50-100 yards, although maybe 200 yards some day. Why .308? I can't really say...I'm just sort of enamored of the caliber :-) THis will be my very first centerfire rifle. I shot a guy's 700 out at the range the other day and decided the recoil was not too bad...more of a strong push. My shoulder should be able to stand 100 rounds. Might have to work up to it but it doesn't seem to be too much of a stretch.

Anyway, I am of course going to put a scope on the thing and I was wondering how cheap I can get away with and not have the scope disintegrate on the first round. Now, hear me out, I'm not talking a $20 special from CDNN or anything. What I currently have is a Ruger 10/22 with about a $160 (Bass Pro dollars) Nikon Prostaff variable on it that I like quite a bit. In fact I wouldn't mind getting another one to put on the .308. Or maybe the next scope up in the Nikon line, maybe $200. Nikon seems to have good value.

FOr ammo...I plan on running the cheapest brass-cased boxer-primed soft-point ammo I can find through it. I will eventually reload for it.

So will a $150-$200 scope be durable enough for a plinking .308 shot at modest distances like these?

-cls

hoghunting
November 24, 2010, 12:20 AM
Try the Burris Fullfield II as it will handle the 308 recoil without any problems.

FOr ammo...I plan on running the cheapest brass-cased boxer-primed soft-point ammo I can find through it.

Don't expect too much in the accuracy department with that ammo.

popeyespappy
November 24, 2010, 12:34 AM
Here's a slightly used Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 for $200 at SWFA. For that money it would be hard to beat.

http://www.samplelist.com/Nikon-3-9x40-Monarch-UCC-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P1674.aspx

billnourse
November 24, 2010, 12:42 PM
Invest in the best scope you can afford. A rifle is only as good as it's sighting system. Good scopes are as much an investment as the rifle itself.

Bill

Dr MoonUnit
November 24, 2010, 12:53 PM
Check Natchez Shooter Supply. I just received a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40 scope for $88 dollars.

And i'd suggest going with some better ammo if you want to be accurate.

hammie
November 24, 2010, 01:25 PM
Get as much scope quality as you can afford. I agree with hoghunting. For your price range, I would suggest a burris fullfield, or a bushnell 3200.

I just checked midway (midwayusa.com). They list a 3x9 burris fullfield for 179 $ and a bushnell 3200 3x9 for 199 $. You can order on-ine with a credit card, and it will be delivered to your door.

Kreyzhorse
November 24, 2010, 01:48 PM
Search on line for a Nikon Primos BDC 3x9. These scopes are actually the Monarch series scope but were branded as "Primos." Nikon is not making 3x9s any more in their Monarch series so these scopes can be had for $200 to $250. You won't find a better scope in the $400 range much less in the $200 range.

Here's one from Optics Planet.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/nikon-team-primos-3-9x40-bds-riflescope.html

hammie
November 24, 2010, 03:09 PM
@kreyzhorse: You're right. If the primos is just a differently badged monarch, then that would be a great deal.

Kreyzhorse
November 24, 2010, 04:14 PM
@kreyzhorse: You're right. If the primos is just a differently badged monarch, then that would be a great deal.

I did a lot of research and that seems to be the case. The Primos scopes were evidently the last run of 3x9s on for the Monarch line.

When I saw the Primos / Monarch for that price tag, I jumped on even though I didn't actually need another scope. After deer season is over with, the new Nikon is going on my Savage 7mm Rem Mag.

Fat White Boy
November 25, 2010, 12:43 AM
I bought a Weaver 4X fixed power for my .308 VLS. It works great.

Rob96
November 25, 2010, 07:08 AM
I have a 700 ADL Varmint that I bought last year. I put a Mueller 4-12x APT Tactical on it. Incredible combination.

flashhole
November 25, 2010, 09:30 AM
popeye - that's a good link ... thanks

I agree with all the posters who say get the best scope you can afford.

Good optics on a rifle is the gift that keeps on giving.

Art Eatman
November 25, 2010, 10:11 AM
Daylight shooting at a range means that a whole bunch of lens is meaningless. I've never had a problem seeing thirty-caliber bullet holes in paper with 9X. (If you take up deer hunting, the scope will spend a bunch more time on 3X for the field of view than it will on 9X.)

Somebody's $200 worth of 3x9x40 will do just fine.

When you get to reloading, try some lead gas checks at around 1,800 to maybe 2,000 ft/sec. I use 2400. No recoil, excellent plinking load, and great for eye-finger coordination practice. Another option is the half-jacket 100-grain bullet; you can load it quite a bit hotter if you like, as well as down for plinkers.

flashhole
November 25, 2010, 10:23 AM
Art, I don't think anyone is saying get the highest magnification you can but quality optics are the way to go if you can afford it. A 3x9 will work fine. Put a Barska beside a Zeiss, that's the difference I was referring to.

JerryM
November 25, 2010, 01:33 PM
For the hunting you state you intend to do I would not even consider a variable power scope. In fact a good fixed power 2.5X would work well, and the max I would use would be a 4X.
Variable power scopes are larger, bulkier, heavier, and more expensive. The higher powers are unnecessary unless one is shooting at 400 yards or so. The only other reason to use a V is when hunting antelope in a herd. Sometimes the herd buck gets mixed in with the herd and at long range might be difficult to identify.

Companies like Leupold, Burris, Redfield, Weaver, and Bushnell make good scopes. I would not try to get the cheapest Bushnell.

The variable I have and use is on a .270, and is useful in long range shooting. It is a Leupold VX III 2.5X8. I would not want a larger or higher power scope for any hunting.
My other rifles have 4X Leupold, Redfield, or old Weaver scopes.

Regards,
Jerry

flashhole
November 25, 2010, 01:42 PM
I put a Burris Signature fixed 6X scope on my Ruger #1 25-06 and a Nikon fixed 4X on a 30-30. My 7mm RM sports a Burris Signature 2.5-8 and the Guide Gun has a 2-7 variable. All purchased on EvilBay for a good price. Hunting guns don't need high magnification, field of view is often times more important. The only high magnification scopes I use are on the varmint guns. There I want to know what eyelash I'm shooting at.