PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand

The Book
November 23, 2010, 05:10 PM
I brought the Mag. Gun Collector Vol. 32 No6 today and a pretty good article on the M1 in this issue

thesheepdog
November 23, 2010, 05:16 PM
Explain?

The Book
November 23, 2010, 05:20 PM
Tells little history and what to look for in the fake M1s

csmsss
November 23, 2010, 06:52 PM
"Fake" M-1? Never heard of such a beast.

Winchester_73
November 24, 2010, 11:22 AM
"Fake" M-1? Never heard of such a beast.

The japanese made a copy of it during WWII that was in 7.7 jap.
Could that be it? There is one in the NRA museum I think.

csmsss
November 24, 2010, 11:30 AM
The japanese made a copy of it during WWII that was in 7.7 jap.
Could that be it? There is one in the NRA museum I think. Not sure. You'd have to ask the original poster what his intent was, but such a rifle would be worth a great deal more than your run of the mill M-1.

"Faking" an M-1 would seem to be far, far more trouble than it's worth, given the relatively low value of originals out there, and the difficulty and cost of actually attempting to do such a thing.

Poodleshooter
November 24, 2010, 12:05 PM
He may be referring to things like faking gas trap M1s, or faking all original matched parts, serial numbers,etc.

The thing is, the only guys who want to buy that kind of Garand can usually tell you the name of the inspector who put the stock cartouches on that type of Garand, what he had for breakfast the morning he approved it,etc.

GregM
November 24, 2010, 01:09 PM
The article refers to the re-weld receivers. Its a good article, at least to get one headed in the right direction for collecting.

GregM

The Book
November 24, 2010, 02:51 PM
Sorry had to work for a bit this morning ( its a curse) or would have posted earlier. As Gregm said reweld receivers and saying orginal when its not. Some that are saleing these sound like used car dealers( the dishonest type)

Chris_B
November 24, 2010, 05:09 PM
Well, it's not a fake. It's a re-weld. :D How could it be fake just because it was cut and welded back together? A wrecked Ferrari in a junkyard is still a legit Ferrari. They've been around for 50 years, these re-welds.