PDA

View Full Version : Fusion Firearms

Dc9Loser
November 17, 2010, 05:35 PM
Anybody ever see, shoot, buy, or hear about these custom 1911 pistols?

Really having a hard time getting what I want from the big boys and these guys have 10mm bobtail commanders in stainless - only Dan Wesson made those and they stopped in 2009.

Is fusion as good as they claim?

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/

rsxr22
November 17, 2010, 05:57 PM
negative... Lots of good info on the company and their QC and CS over at GT. Somehow anything negatively mentioned about them vanishes from 1911forum! Wonder why? I was really intrigued by these pistols about a year ago and now im super glad i didnt have the cash at the time. There are a few on the boards that have them and have had goodluck with them, me? Im gunna steer clear and put my money with WC, EB, LB, GC, and NH

VTRich
November 17, 2010, 06:38 PM
I have a full size Fusion 1911 in 9mm, Ion Bond coated. It has been very unreliable. From the start it had Failures to extract, and Failures to Feed. When it did work, the ejection was very week. The cases would barely land a foot away. The last round either stayed loose in the gun after extraction, or barely dribbled out of the gun. I used the mags that came with the gun (they looked used/surplus) and Tripp Mags with the same results.

The thumb safety is very poorly fit. It is hard and mushy to engage. It snaps off nice and clean, but I have to press very hard to get it into the slide notch completely. I thought it would get better with use, but it hasn't.

I have had it over a year, ended up replacing the extractor with a Wilson Bullet Proof (I could not get their exxtractor to extract reliably), had to loc-tite the ejector down because it was very loose. After that it works so-so. Ejection is still king of week. Fixing the loose ejector helped the week ejection the most. I am running a 9 lb recoil spring now and it is running OK with that. OK for a range gun, but I would never dream of carrying it.

On the positive side, the slide to frame fit is excellent. Feels like it is running on ball bearings.

When I have a chance, I am going to bring it to a good gunsmith to get the thumb safety fit correctly, and have him give it a good check for anything else he can improve.

For the kind of money you would be spending, and the VERY LONG wait time, I would go with one of the well known semi custom guns, or a Dan Wesson.

ElrodCod
November 17, 2010, 07:04 PM
For the money they want you can get a better quality gun elseware.

Hoss Fly
November 17, 2010, 07:17 PM
Never heard any good input about Fusion GUNS-
Individual parts are OK -

Dc9Loser
November 17, 2010, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys, thought I had found what I wanted but I guess not.

The last thing I want to do is toss 1.5K out the window on junk, THANKS again.

Hoss Fly
November 17, 2010, 07:28 PM
I can honestly say this is the first time i've ever agreed with EVERY reply given to a good basic simple question here :D

Dc9Loser
November 17, 2010, 07:37 PM
Im gunna steer clear and put my money with WC, EB, LB, GC, and NH

What does WC, EB, LB, GC, and NH stand for?

Any info on what the good brands are would be helpful. Thanks.

WC145
November 17, 2010, 07:46 PM
I have had a more positive experience with Fusion than the previous posters.

I purchased an alloy framed Fusion 9mm CCO from the guy that ordered it. He placed his order in Oct of '09, rec'd the gun this April, I bought it in September. Things started poorly and I really questioned buying it over an LSI or Colt New Agent. I put a few hundred rounds of FMJ and JHP through it and had all kinds of extraction and feeding issues, the gun just wouldn't run. This happened over Labor Day weekend and I tried the 1911 forum's Fusion section for help and ended up communicating with Bob Serva, the owner, even though it was a holiday weekend and he treated me like it was a typical work day. He talked me through a number of possible solutions and when they didn't do the job he sent me a return ticket for my gun so they could ix it under their lifetime warranty. Remember, I'm the second owner and they owe me nothing.

Anyway, I sent the gun in, along with a box of my duty ammo for testing. The gun was ordered with an unramped barrel, which was a big part of the problem (they no longer offer that option for this reason). They stripped my gun, milled the frame for a ramped barrel and fitted a new match barrel and bushing and adjusted the extractor. In addition, since the frame would have to be refinished after being milled, Bob offered me my choice of finishes (I went with Yukon T-11 in tungsten grey) at no charge. I asked him to replace the trigger with a carbon fiber unit they offer while the gun was apart, which he did, and because it shot a bit low for me I asked him to check the sights. Lastly, I asked them to go through every part of the gun and check and double check it to assure I wouldn't have any more issues since I bought it for off duty carry (my duty gun is a S&W 1911 9mm Pro Series).

Bob took care of everything - the gun was repaired and refitted, refinished in my choice of colors, new trigger installed, shorter front sight installed, and every part of it inspected for fit, finish, and function. The charge for all of this was $68.00 for the trigger and front sight. Fusion covered everything else under warranty - even though I bought it second hand. Now the gun runs perfectly, it is incredibly accurate and has the best trigger of any of my 1911's. So, in my experience, Fusion is a stand up company that backs their products with a true lifetime warranty and incredible customer service.

My CCO is now my favorite carry gun and I won't hesitate to order a Fusion in the future or to recommend the company to others. And if you've got problems with your's call Bob, he'll get it fixed.

This is my gun when I bought it -
http://lh5.ggpht.com/__3_AZOV0zhc/TIPAay-ePYI/AAAAAAAACOA/58vlRUS-dlY/s640/IMG_0400.jpg

And this is it when I got it back from Fusion -
http://lh5.ggpht.com/__3_AZOV0zhc/TMHvVFp7efI/AAAAAAAACXQ/ELlUJsc0Bgo/s720/Scott%20H%209mm%20CCO%202-tone-2.jpg

KyJim
November 17, 2010, 08:09 PM
I don't own a Fusion. My impression has been that they can make a very good firearm but have experienced some growing pains. Hopefully, they will get that worked out.

Brian Pfleuger
November 17, 2010, 08:12 PM
My uncle bought a Fusion Long Slide Ion Bonded 10mm earlier this year. It had some trouble ejecting at first, the extractor was bent and would jam the slide. Bob fixed it right off and the gun has been perfect since then. It is accurate beyond belief. It makes me look like I can shoot a handgun.

spodwo
November 17, 2010, 08:38 PM
What does WC, EB, LB, GC, and NH stand for?

Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Les Baer, Gold Cup, Night Hawk...

waltfraz
November 17, 2010, 10:17 PM
i HAVE A FUSION PRO SERIES IN 38 SUPER,BOUGHT IT SECOND HAND,GUN SHOTS GREAT AND HAS NO PROBLEMS.IT WAS BUILT BY BOB SEVA AND CUCTOMER SERVICE ON ALL MY QUESTIONS WAS GREAT.THE ONLY REASON FOR ME SELLING GUN IS IT HAS A 6"BARREL TO LONG FOR MY USE.i WOULD NOT HESITATE TO BUY ANOTHER FUSION PUT TOGETHER BY BOB.

rsxr22
November 17, 2010, 11:06 PM
GC stands for Guncrafter, im not really a fan of Colt's. Maybe one day, if i decide to get a mil-spec style for display case purpose, but thats about it

Dc9Loser
November 19, 2010, 10:29 AM
I just read a review in Combat Handguns of the Nighthawk 1911 which experienced three failures during the shooting phase... for $3000.

Every brand I read about seems to have all sorts of problems if you believe what ya hear in forums.

I went over and looked at the Fusion Website on the 1911 forum. They delete negative posts as a policy. That disturbs me.

I do have to say that they have some gorgeous photos of Fusion guns there.

The fit and finish looks pretty darn good, in photos anyway.

If Fusion really will fix the gun if it doesn't work, maybe it is the way to go?

It is a pretty lame gun market where I have to spend $2K to have a chance of getting a gun which may or may not function.

Any thoughts?

Sevens
November 19, 2010, 10:49 AM
Bob Serva bought the Dan Wesson name at some point after DW was out of the revolver and, well, handgun business. He bought the name, built some 1911s and sold them as Dan Wesson pistols. When you find these, they have a little Christian cross on them. These are the pre-CZ guns.

As I understand, Serva sold the Dan Wesson operation to CZ. I would imagine that he made a heap of money. CZ now builds the Dan Wesson 1911's and those are damn good pistols. The older, pre-CZ pistols... I would assume (?) are decent pistols, but I've not had the pleasure to handle or shoot one.

Fusion is Bob Serva's company now.

Indeed, the 1911.org forum is a crazy-run, crusty bunch of folks. I won't waste bandwidth discussing another forum... and especially that one. If you want REAL experiences and data, avoid it like it's a 1970 issue of Pravda.

Glock Talk has some wild, run-on, highly detailed and descriptive threads covering a few different folks' REALLY bad run-ins with Fusion pistols and customer service experiences. I'm not a big fan of that forum either, but there's a lot more free reign there.

Where's the reality? Somewhere in the middle, most likely. Two years ago, I couldn't stop the drool from my face when thinking, reading, or talking about a Fusion pistol. Some of the things I've read on Glock Talk have ruined that for me.

I got the impression that Serva had some new guys that he was training building some pistols and someone who looks them over before shipment was asleep at the switch. WC145's experience just makes me wanna look at Fusion again. I don't doubt his words for a moment and I'm sure there are other folks out there that would back him up.

Fortunately, I don't find myself in the position of having to spend $1,500 to $2,200 on a custom order pistol -- and I'm not so sure that I will ever find the need for such a beast. I have way too much fun with my factory poppers. I've always been much more a beer kinda guy than wine or champagne.

The 1911 that I own, shoot and love... and have owned since 1989 has certainly put a grin on my face even though most serious 1911 guys would laugh at it hysterically. It's not high budget, that's for sure. But it is quite capable of one-ragged-hole groups.

WC145
November 19, 2010, 10:57 AM
Like I said in my other post, they took care of my problems no questions asked, no charge, and I'm not the original owner. The gun runs perfect now.

That being said, when I sent it back I just asked that they make it run as well as the S&W 1911 9mm Pro Series that I carry on duty (it's never failed). Based on my experience with my S&W, if S&W made a 9mm CCO I would have bought it but they don't. My Fusion is the next best thing.

MLeake
November 19, 2010, 11:15 AM
I have had no problems so far with my 10mm Classic Hunter Longslide. No feed or ejection issues. Extremely accurate. Email and phonecons in the order process were easy, too.

Casimer
November 19, 2010, 12:13 PM
My impression has been that they can make a very good firearm but have experienced some growing pains.

That's what I've gathered as well. It's not so surprising, considering their manufacturing model. He's offering a sort of custom production, where you can specify everything from fully custom, to stock production, to anything in between. This is probably the biggest source of complaints that I've seen, relating to build order discrepancies, and the delays they impose.

LanceOregon
November 19, 2010, 07:37 PM
I have a full size Fusion 1911 in 9mm, Ion Bond coated.

VTRich:

Since you have bashed the Fusion handguns, you should at least post a photo of your gun.

LanceOregon
November 19, 2010, 07:42 PM
Bob took care of everything - the gun was repaired and refitted, refinished in my choice of colors, new trigger installed, shorter front sight installed, and every part of it inspected for fit, finish, and function. The charge for all of this was $68.00 for the trigger and front sight. Fusion covered everything else under warranty - even though I bought it second hand. Now the gun runs perfectly, it is incredibly accurate and has the best trigger of any of my 1911's.

WC145:

That is the really odd thing that I find with the post from VTRich. Never does he even mention anything at all about contacting Bob Serva regarding his difficulties.

And to instead attempt kludge fixes himself on a custom gun? Doesn't make much sense at all to me.

:confused::confused:

rsxr22
November 19, 2010, 08:04 PM
Hopefully Serva does get his company straightened around!! I speak negatively about them all the time because they are currently spotty as far as QC goes. That should not be an issue being discussed when pricing pistols like they do. Bob can build a heck of a pistol, he just needs to lay down the law on his employees or get his butt back in the back and show em how it is done. I wish the best for every company! I speak negatively about them, kimber, and Taurus, but for good reason. All these companies need to do to be successful is: Fusion needs WAY BETTER attention to detail to stop QC issues, Kimber needs to lower their prices, $100 on most models and $200-250 on some because their are better options in every price point that their company makes guns for, and Taurus just needs to stop advertising that they have all these custom features on their $600 gun!!! They make a sub standard 1911 which is a decent shooter and decently reliable in most circumstances, but is fit poorly from small sparts to slide to frame fit. If all 3 did this, they would be much better off IMO

WC145
November 19, 2010, 08:40 PM
WC145:

That is the really odd thing that I find with the post from VTRich. Never does he even mention anything at all about contacting Bob Serva regarding his difficulties.

And to instead attempt kludge fixes himself on a custom gun? Doesn't make much sense at all to me.

I thought the same thing but I can't speak for anyone but myself. My gun was, for all intents and purposes, brand new when I got it so when I had problems it made sense to go to the guys that built it, but that's me. And, that's what warrantees are for, right?

Most remarkable about the service I got was that Bob went waaaayyy out of his way to help me work out the issues before sending the gun back in order to save me the time without it. It was labor day weekend and not only did he communicate with me via email throughout the weekend but sent me his phone number so I could call him on Labor Day Monday to discuss the gun and what to do with it. I can't imagine he'd be any less accomodating to someone that had actually ordered and purchased their gun directly from his company.

My gun is great - it's the right size, weight, caliber - a really nice package. It's put together right with terrific fit and finish. If you know what you're looking at you can appreciate the subtle melt job, the checkering on the front strap and MSH, undercut trigger guard, radiused frame butt, etc. However, when you get past all of that, it's one more 1911 like so many others. So, as a Fusion gun, what sets it apart from the rest of the crowd? Bob Serva and the service I received, not only from his company but from him directly. I try to buy quality stuff but I can't imagine that the CEO of Land Rover is going to tell me to call him this weekend over the frame issues I'm having. If one of his guns isn't right Bob Serva takes it personally and sees that it is fixed. IMO, that personal service is what sets Fusion apart from their competition.

Hopefully Serva does get his company straightened around!! I speak negatively about them all the time because they are currently spotty as far as QC goes. That should not be an issue being discussed when pricing pistols like they do. Bob can build a heck of a pistol, he just needs to lay down the law on his employees or get his butt back in the back and show em how it is done. I wish the best for every company! I speak negatively about them, kimber, and Taurus, but for good reason. All these companies need to do to be successful is: Fusion needs WAY BETTER attention to detail to stop QC issues, Kimber needs to lower their prices, $100 on most models and $200-250 on some because their are better options in every price point that their company makes guns for, and Taurus just needs to stop advertising that they have all these custom features on their $600 gun!!! They make a sub standard 1911 which is a decent shooter and decently reliable in most circumstances, but is fit poorly from small sparts to slide to frame fit. If all 3 did this, they would be much better off IMO

All very good points. That's one of the reasons I brought up my S&W 1911 earlier. It's got good fit and finish, not custom house level but very good. The gun looks great and, more importantly, it runs great. Everything works, it's accurate, 100% reliable, and S&W probably made as many of that one model as Fusion did total guns last year.

It's true that Bob makes sure things are right in the end but if S&W can make sure their guns are right before they leave the factory then a small builder should be able to do it too. If he can work that out then the skies the limit for Fusion.

LanceOregon
November 20, 2010, 05:02 AM
negative... Lots of good info on the company and their QC and CS over at GT

rsxr22:

Well, the bashing of Fusion that "HAIL CAESAR" has led on Glock Talk is very lame, in my opinion. He went into such great detail about all the obviously visible defects that he claimed that his gun had. Yet, in both of the super long threads that he started, he never once produced a single photo of his Fusion to illustrate these issues. VTRich has made similar complains here as well I see, yet once again, not a single photo produced to back up the claims.

HAIL CAESAR went way out of his way to go on an absolute vendetta against Fusion in a number of online forums, and then wondered why the company balked at dealing with him further. They finally got rid of him by giving him a full refund. He even continued to bash Fusion for a couple of months after he got his refund, but GlockTalk finally closed the thread.

I wish the best for every company! I speak negatively about them

I see, so you wish Fusion the best, yet bash them at every opportunity? So you are doing all of this without any personal, first hand experience in dealing with the company yourself? Just based on what others have said?

Very, very lame of you to do, in my opinion.

LanceOregon
November 20, 2010, 05:12 AM
My gun is great - it's the right size, weight, caliber - a really nice package. It's put together right with terrific fit and finish.

WC145:

My experience in dealing with Fusion was wonderful . Bob Serva gave me all kinds of personal attention. And I have had ZERO issues with my Fusion. I could not be more happy with it.

The serial number on my Fusion is only 000187, though. So I do believe that I have an early production gun.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s272/lanceJOregon/guns/DSC_6189c.jpg

VTRich
November 20, 2010, 07:25 AM
Dc9Loser asked for people's experiences with Fusion. I gave him mine. Other people have given them theirs. Now he can make a decision.

I'm sorry I don't bring cameras and video to the range with me, but I go there to shoot.

As for "Kludge" fixes. Adjusting, or replacing an extractor, or trying different recoil springs are about as basic as it gets. Anyone who shoots a 1911 should be able to do that, or at least understand how such changes effect the operation of the gun. I contacted Fusion about the weak extraction and ejection, and I received a very nice e-mail listing what recoil springs I should try, and what ones work for them. My gun is fairly early production, and at that time, guns were returned on our dime, not Fusions.

It's funny the experience of Hail Caesar came up. I don't know about on other forums, but on the 1911forum.com (not m1911.org), Hail Caesar posted MANY DETAILED photos of his guns flaws. I could not believe Fusions let that gun be shipped. He spent a lot of money, and waited MANY months to get that gun. That thread disappeared, as all threads do wich voice complaint.

If Fusion has hired apprentices to build guns and keep up with demand, then even more reason to step up QC, and make sure these guns work before they are shipped.

It's nice to read experiences like WC145 had, but let's face it, they had to bascially rebuild the gun. If I am going to buy a custom gun, I feel the QC should be done by the builder, not me. I should not have to send it back.

LanceOregon
November 20, 2010, 01:15 PM
I'm sorry I don't bring cameras and video to the range with me, but I go there to shoot.

You never posted a photo of your gun here, to even verify that you actually do own a Fusion.

I don't know about on other forums, but on the 1911forum.com (not m1911.org), Hail Caesar posted MANY DETAILED photos of his guns flaws. I could not believe Fusions let that gun be shipped. He spent a lot of money, and waited MANY months to get that gun. That thread disappeared, as all threads do wich voice complaint.

Pretty convenient, no? If he had taken so many detailed photos, then why did he never post any of them in his two huge threads that he started on Glocktalk? He went so far there as to post a number of photos on Glocktalk that he claimed were from other Fusion owners, yet he never bothered to post any photos of his own gun? That makes no sense to me. If he had photos of his pistol available to post, why did he never use them?

I contacted Fusion about the weak extraction and ejection, and I received a very nice e-mail listing what recoil springs I should try, and what ones work for them. My gun is fairly early production, and at that time, guns were returned on our dime, not Fusions.

but let's face it, they had to bascially rebuild the gun. If I am going to buy a custom gun, I feel the QC should be done by the builder, not me. I should not have to send it back.

So for a cost of a small shipping charge, you refused to work with Bob Serva, as WC145 did. Instead, you refused to ship the gun back, based on the principle that you should not have been put out so? That sure makes a lot of sense too. You certainly cannot complain about customer service at Fusion, since you never even gave them a chance to help you.

Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite your face.

ElrodCod
November 20, 2010, 03:27 PM
I talked with Bob Serva about some issues with my gun & all I got out of him was "That's not uncommon". I'm done with Fusion.

9x19
November 20, 2010, 04:35 PM
To correct a minor mis-representation:

Hail Ceasar posted numerous photos of the hack-job Fusion sent him as a Custom pistol. And all he got from the company was excuses and blame, no resolution until over a year later, despite repeated promises!!!

If Lance didn't see the photos, he either had his eyes closed or wasn't fast enough at the Kool-aid site, since negative posts disappear fast over there! Is it any wonder Fusion uses it as a sales tool? One has to wonder how much financial support they offer that forum for the administrators to serve them up an unsuspecting audience?

Anyone else remember the BSDW limited ed Razorbacks? Horribly executed despite all the promises before the fact, and nothing but excuses after delivery.

Many of Hail Ceasar's photos are still up at GT, so perhaps Lance just needs help finding them:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1235302&highlight=fusion&page=2

WVsig
November 20, 2010, 04:48 PM
I am sorry but when you spend that much for a custom gun the QC has got to better. Bob Serva can make a great gun as others have said but when he steps out and lets the other people in his company do the work the product seems to suffer.

It might be a matter of too much growth. It might be improper skill or training. Either way there are way too many examples of defective guns leaving his shop. IMHO Asking the customer to ship a defective pistol back on their dime is unacceptable at this price point.

I have a hard time even considering a custom pistol in the $2500+ range when the best someone can say about him is he made it right after I got a defective pistol.

Again it makes you wonder who is watching the shop? With one off custom pistols there is no reason that they are not properly test firing them before they leave. I like Bob and hope he rights the ship. I considered his pistols after he left DW but these days I look elsewhere.

Casimer
November 20, 2010, 05:28 PM
I don't doubt that there have been QC issues w/ Fusions. But I wouldn't rely on HC's account as indicative of their problems. Because frankly the longer that episode went on, the less faith I had in the accuracy of his rendition of what was happening. The whole thing took on the air of a vendetta.

sophijo
November 20, 2010, 05:49 PM
I've had this Ion-bonded 5" pistol for nearly three years now. About 3k of my re-loads through it. After I tuned the extractor, its been flawless. It is inherently more accurate (not by much) than my two Valors, an '09 and a '10 and both of those are great pistols. I'm too old to wait a year for a gun. I believe I'd pick-up a Valor if I were you. You can get them now.

rixret
November 20, 2010, 05:54 PM
While I haven't had the pleasure of owning or operating a Fusion gun, yet, I have had good experience buying parts, very good customer service and responsive to my needs. Just my two bits worth.

LanceOregon
November 20, 2010, 07:33 PM
OK, I stand corrected about "Hail Caeser" posting pics on GlockTalk. I waded through lots of posts, and had not spotted those.

If these allegations are true, then that is truly a terrible shame, as my Fusion is a great gun. But I did get it back in early 2008.

I still find it extremely hard to believe any of the personal attacks that have been made against Bob Serva. I don't believe that he is either dishonest, or a liar either.

Perhaps his company is struggling, but that does not mean that he is a bad person.

zombieslayer
November 20, 2010, 09:06 PM
Get a Dan Wesson Valor. Hard to beat the craftsmanship that goes into them.

9x19
November 20, 2010, 09:19 PM
Lance,

I don't know BS, never met BS, he may indeed be the salt of the earth, but his actions do not always paint a positive picture. He enjoys a complaint-free environment at that other site, and if that's the only input he receives, then he'll never improve the company.

I would not spend a nickel on a Fusion I could not personally inspect first. There are lots of parts-fitters in the market, and some have a great rep, outside one web-site, Fusion does not.

gruntrus
November 21, 2010, 12:57 AM
I will order a Fusion longslide Hunter when I get a job again. I was in the process of ordering one about a year ago, had the full customization going on with Bob, and another pistol came along I could not pass up for the price. Bob understood and graciously asked to receive my business sometime in the future. Positive, responsive to my questions and learning curve, and professional; Bob Serva.

Caesar's salad? I've seen his trolling hard wand for Fusion in several sights. Wish I had his time to burn on forums. Guy spent the first 4 months of ownership whining about failures instead of just sending it back for a fix. Yeah, 4 months of crying in MANY forums, before DOING something about it.

LanceOregon
November 22, 2010, 06:20 AM
I don't know BS, never met BS, he may indeed be the salt of the earth, but his actions do not always paint a positive picture.

Well, Hail Caesar is a pompous, vainglorious crybaby, in my opinion. The way that he went on and on with all of those threads on Glocktalk for so many months? Only a totally self-absorbed person would act like that. He declared a one man war on Fusion to harm their reputation, and then he wondered why he did not get service from them?

And you yourself are not all that much better, to engage in such childish behavior here as referring to Bob Serva as "BS". That is talking on a Three Stooges level.

LanceOregon
November 22, 2010, 06:22 AM
Caesar's salad? I've seen his trolling hard wand for Fusion in several sights.

I think that just the fact that he calls himself "Hail Caesar" gives one some insight into his personality.

9x19
November 22, 2010, 09:06 AM
Childish to use the man's initials? :rolleyes:

Personal attacks on those who relate negative experiences with Serva-run companies says even more.

So, are you related to or just employed by Bob? :cool:

Either way, it's clear we're far apart on the issue, so I will agree to disagree.

ElrodCod
November 22, 2010, 09:40 AM
I think that just the fact that he calls himself "Hail Caesar" gives one some insight into his personality.

I wonder what personality traits can be attributed to someone who calls himself "Lance".:D

MLeake
November 22, 2010, 09:41 AM
... they are the man's initials, but I think you're being disingenuous; I'm pretty sure you intended the double entendre, so don't protest too much.

Again, my own experiences with Fusion were completely counter to what you and Hail Caesar claim.

1) Dealt directly with Bob Serva via email and phone. I was in Afghanistan at the time, so communications were somewhat limited; luckily, not too many were needed.

2) Bob provided some personal inputs on best configuration for my pistol; I went with his advice.

3) Classic Longslide Hunter took closer to a month than the several some folks are claiming; it arrived at my dealer shortly after I returned to the States.

4) Pistol was in great shape out of the box. Safety was easy to manipulate, but positive to engage/disengage. Trigger is very slick. I chose a matte finish, so the gun isn't flashy looking, but it looks the way I intended. Stainless controls are also matte, but provide a nice color contrast.

5) I haven't shot it too much, yet, but in 200 rds of 200gr target ammo, plus a box each of Hornady and Cor-Bon SD ammo, there have been no feed or ejection problems. The gun is extremely accurate. Felt recoil, even with the Cor-Bons, is minimal.

http://picasaweb.google.com/morgan.leake/RandomThoughts?authkey=Gv1sRgCIfL4-DO3aPUGA#5513217872606712370
So, based on the experiences of forum members who actually seem to own one of the pistols, as opposed to the complaints of "Hail Caesar," I'd feel pretty safe with a Fusion.

Maybe I'm old school, but I was taught to address my complaints directly to the person who has offended me, first, before bashing that person or company to hither and yon... Of course, if they offend me publicly, I'll respond publicly, but I try to minimize even that. So I really have to wonder about Hail Caesar...

Dc9Loser
November 22, 2010, 10:05 AM
Man, buying a nice 1911 is a mess.

Seems there are not many brands, none?, that don't have lots of problems.

I just put in for a quote from Bob on a 10mm, bobtailed commander, in bright chrome.

Depending how the quote comes out and how my search for alternatives goes I might well place an order with BS. We will see. If I do I will report on it here.

AustinTX
November 22, 2010, 10:47 AM
Bac1023 has written a pretty amazing 1911 guide in several posts at the end of the first page and beginning of the second page of this thread (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1269683). Since a photo in the thread shows that he owns at least 55 1911s, including all of the ones discussed, his advice and opinions are probably worth a listen.

KyJim
November 22, 2010, 09:58 PM
Bac1023 has written a pretty amazing 1911 guide in several posts at the end of the first page and beginning of the second page of this thread. Since a photo in the thread shows that he owns at least 55 1911s, including all of the ones discussed, his advice and opinions are probably worth a listen. Unfortunately, the posts you mention are all about either custom 1911s costing several times the cost of a Fusion or out of production 1911s.

AustinTX
November 22, 2010, 10:16 PM
Might want to take another look. His posts start at post #17 (toward the end of the first page in post count, not scrolling position). He starts with guns costing barely more than $400.

KyJim
November 22, 2010, 10:31 PM
Might want to take another look. His posts start at post #17 (toward the end of the first page in post count, not scrolling position). He starts with guns costing barely more than $400. Thanks. I think I was thrown off because your previous post mentioned page 2. I went right by the others.

Hail Caesar
July 31, 2011, 07:48 PM
Lance,

I know this thread is old, but after someone called me and said they had seen this thread I found it and felt the need to clear things up a bit.

1. I TRIED to correct the issues with Bob before saying anything on the errrornet. He refused to fix the gun, refused to admit there was a problem, refused to admit the gun was not as ordered, refused to admit the barrel was short-chambered and would not even chamber a single round.

2. Only after I posted about the gun did he offer to rebuild the gun. ( He flat out refused a refund) As the frame was junk and the slide was messed up that was the only thing left to do. He swore up and down it would take 6 weeks TOPS to rebuild the gun. As I had some parts on hand that I wanted to use on the gun I shipped them to him to quicken the build.

3. After 6 weeks went by, then 3 months, then 6 months....I asked were my replacement gun was. He said it was at Ionbond. Then I asked about it the next month...he said it was getting ready to ship to Ionbond.:confused:

4. I contacted my attorney and pressed Serva for a refund....he agreed.;)
But then he short changed me and I did not receive a full refund and he kept my parts.

5. I was questioned my moderators of other sites about the validity of my claims..... I forwarded them emails between Serva and I. All Mod's and owners (except the 1911 forum) said to "post away" after seeing the emails. One said it was the funniest and most damning thing he had seen in a while.

Then I was forwarding the emails, PM's, and build sheets, to people on 1911 forum and GT for them to make their own judgements on what happened.
I have dozens of pics also if you would like to see them.

6. My first ever "forum" was a shotgunning forum dedicated to sporting clays. My wife said to use something anonymous and not use my actual name. I did not even plan on ever posting. So the name I picked was the name of my shotgun "Caesar Guerini" and when the first time I used it my squad of shooting buddies was saying "Hail Caesar" when I shot a clean station and making fun of the guns name. There is ZERO feeling of superiority with me choosing the name. It was the first thing I could think of, and did not think of the context some would take the name to mean.

7. YES, you are right. I was madder than a wet hornet. At one point I was out $2,400 on a junk gun that would not work, a builder that said it "was within Fusion quality standards), and if posted about on one site the postes got deleted.
So yes, I was talking about it. There was several people that had serious issues that was finding the same stonewall that I was with Fusion, and one certain site that deleted anything negative about Fusion.

If you have anymore questions about the ordeal I will be happy to answer them. But truthfully it is all in the past now for me. I hardly ever think about Fusion anymore. They are usually brought up on GT as a friendly poke in the ribs to me. As in "Hey Al, you bought any Fusion's lately" or "Have you been Fusion'ed lately?".

Al

aterman
August 29, 2011, 03:19 PM
I just registered and had, HAD to add my experience.
Fusion Scout Custom in 6" $1600. I have never been able to run a magazine of rapid fire through this weapon. $1600 guess gun; I guess it might work, or might not.
FAILURES:
Feeding
Ejecting
Locking in battery
Locking open on last round [tried different mags -these came from Fusion- different spring weights]
Very, VERY hard to reassemble after cleaning. Barrel locking slide pin? must be hammered over catch in order to get it completely fed through lower assembly, thus locking barrel in place.
Serva's answer: use a different lube!!!!

OH AND YEAH: trying for the 5th or 6th time [yes that's all I've cared to fire this thing] and possibly 100 rounds, I now have a bullet lodged in the barrel and it appears, however unlikely that the primer was ignited before completely locked in battery.
I hope this will help you stay clear of Fusion. I can buy a stock Glock 20 and have a much, MUCH more pleasureable experience with a round that is near and dear to my heart.

Positives:
Looks really good
Accurate

Flakbait
August 29, 2011, 04:05 PM
I bought a 6 inch longslide 10 MM Fusion for about $1500 about 2 years ago for hunting. Bob Serva, the CEO, was a pleasure to work with and quickly responded to my emails and phone calls. The serial number is in the 300 range (Fusion is a small outfit). It took six months to build and the gun runs like a champ. Only problem to date after nearly a thousand rounds was that the a screw securing the magwell felll off from the hard 10 mm recoil, and I had a local gunsmith drill a deeper hole for the replacement screw.

For a custom 1911 in 10 MM, there are not a lot of other choices. I think the old Dan Wesson company made a production 10 MM and Colt has made the Delta Elite with past issues with quality control. A Custom Nighthawk, Wilson Combat, etc is at least twice the price. I think Serva said that a large percentage of his guns are 10MM and he had less than a dozen staff members at the time. That's my experience.

If you want a trouble free experience, buy a glock. Tight, well-fit 1911's are finicky by nature and very ammo sensitive. I missed an oportunity to bag a nice SOW we happened to drive upon because I was not carrying cocked and lock (only had a full magazine on an empty chamger). It took me several tries to feed the hard cast Double Tap bullets into the chamber and the Hog darted into the woods probably laughing at me doing my tap rack malfunction drills. I blame that failure to feed on the ammo not the gun.

pepsiray77
July 25, 2013, 05:36 PM
Bought a Fusion Scout XL pro series online yesterday. Hoping for the best, hate to hear about the bad experiences some folks have had. Makes me kind of nervous but other companies out there have complaints as well. NOT ONE company is going to have a perfect record.

Grimlok
July 27, 2013, 06:06 PM
I bought a Fusion about 5 years ago, it has functioned flawlessly, is easily more accurate than I am and the process was painless, albeit a bit long...but there was a long wait for any custom type pistol at the time.

Bob was great to deal with, emailed me the day before they sent it out to be coated to see if I was sure I didn't want to change anything. I've always wanted to get another but funds haven't permitted it.

Babychief
September 15, 2013, 05:08 PM
Has anyone had experience building a ground up custom using a Fusion kit?
They have a $795 commander kit that looks great.

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/shop/1911-pistol-kits/1911-pistol-kit-pro-series-commander/

I just read this old post and i am curious as to whether or not the Q.C. Issues have been rectified as of late.
My misses wants a custom 1911 in an officer or commander size. I was going to do mostly E.B. hardcore parts (if fusion small parts Q.C. Is still bad in 2013) From what ive gathered is the extracter and old non-ramped barrels were really the only major issues on the Fusion.
For $795 plus components/grips, coating/polishing you can have a custom the way you want it for less than $2k! Im seriously considering this option so she can have a semi/full custom on the cheap.

So if anyone has bought a FUSION KIT, i would like to see pics and hear about your build.

Thank you