PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on this AR-15 223 Upper?

Lemmon
November 17, 2010, 04:38 PM
Any thoughts on this AR-15 223 Lower? What are your thoughts and suggestions. Price is only $600 with chrome lined barrel and gas piston.

Looking at the Adams Arms AR-15 A3 Base Carbine Gas Piston Upper Assembly 5.56x45mm NATO 1 in 9" Twist 16" Barrel Chrome Lined Chrome Moly Matte with M4 Handguard, Flash Hider Pre-Ban MidwayUSA Product #: 674968

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=674968

Lemmon

davlandrum
November 17, 2010, 04:39 PM
uuummmm - that would be an "upper"....

Lemmon
November 17, 2010, 04:41 PM
Opps....Thanks for the correction.... Lemmon

thesheepdog
November 17, 2010, 05:12 PM
Any particular reason why you want a piston upper?

Lemmon
November 17, 2010, 05:16 PM
Sheepdog.....I am a newbe in the AR15 world. I have been stressed by a friend that loves his in that it is much cleaner system. Your thoughts please...

Lemmon

thesheepdog
November 17, 2010, 05:28 PM
My thoughts:

I have owned Piston Weapons before and I own a Mil-Spec M4 and a SPR in 6.5 Grendel and a dirty chamber does not cause issues atleast for several thousand rounds.
Many, many, many shooters use DI systems for heavy carbine courses and 99% of them don't have issues with the DI system, rather magazines are the greatest threat to an auto-loader.

The thing I dislike about the AR-15 Piston system is how you clean it. Yeah you're keeping minor dirt/grime out of your chamber, but in order to clean that mess from underneath your handguard, you have to remove the handguard-can be a pain in the butt too.

Some pistons also pose accuracy loss and this has been confirmed by many people.

So my question to you; is the gain of a slightly cleaner chamber worth it? You'll add extra moving parts to your system and the only versatility you'll gain is reliable suppressor use.

More moving parts = more parts to break.

DI systems are tried and true and I have yet to see a failure in my uncleaned Daniel Defense M4 with 500+ rounds down the new barrel.

A quality DI system (BCM, DD, Noveske, Colt) will impress you more than a itty bitty op rod above your barrel.

Longdayjake
November 17, 2010, 06:58 PM
Most of the initial claimed benefits of a piston system over a traditional AR have been debunked or atleast minimized by actual real world application. The one place that a piston system seems to be a plus is when it is used in conjunction with suppressed full auto. In a civilian semi-auto it doesn't really make a difference. That said, if you like the idea of a piston upper and you have the extra dough then go for it. It's not like the piston system sucks or anything.

davlandrum
November 17, 2010, 07:31 PM
I was going to comment on the piston, but since I don't own either....

All I know is 20 years of running Uncle Sam's DI M16s.

I just can't figure out why more moving parts could make it "better".

demigod
November 18, 2010, 09:21 AM
You can get a PROBLEM FREE direct gas upper from BCM for much cheaper. A clean running piece of junk is of no value to me.... just my thoughts on the subject.

Lemmon
November 18, 2010, 09:24 AM
Sheepdog, you have made some very good Points...Now looking at a Daniel Defense Upper. I have heard a lot of good reports on the Daniel Defense product. I appreciate your and others remarks. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Lemmon

thesheepdog
November 18, 2010, 10:20 AM
Now looking at a Daniel Defense Upper. I have heard a lot of good reports on the Daniel Defense product

They are very well made. BCM would probably be my top choice just because they have more barrel options, but a Daniel Defense is top of the line. Mine is awesome! I put a Lothar Walther SS barrel on mine and I consistently get 1 MOA with surplus ammo.