PDA

View Full Version : Value of early model colt ar-15's with triangular forearm

nssa4914
November 11, 2010, 07:46 PM
My buddy is a police officer and his department is replacing the AR-15's that have ridden in their cruisers for years. They have offered them to the officers 1st and the remaining 4 are going to a gun broker. I can buy them for the price the broker offered; $350 ea. They are banged up pretty good but 100% funtional. Regardless of the shape, should I jump any if not all of them? The officers picked up the newer models and left these guys.

I assume they are older for two reasons; triangular handguard and no forward assist.

HorseSoldier
November 11, 2010, 07:57 PM
For $350, I'd jump on one with the classic features (I'm assuming 1-12 twist, too). That's about the going rate for a mil-surp M16A1 upper and less than the A1 parts kits for sale at various places today. Even if you don't want the rifle, I'd think you could flip it and make some money on it.

MMcfpd
November 11, 2010, 08:01 PM
Ditto what HorseSoldier said; easily worth $350.

essohbe
November 11, 2010, 08:01 PM
For $350 I'd buy all them. See if you can get a discount if you buy all three.

Then keep one you like the best and sell the other two for $600. Hell, ask $700 and let them talk you down to $650. Lol. Hell, I'd buy one from you but I don't like ARs that much.

kraigwy
November 11, 2010, 08:09 PM
Sounds like the AR SP1, and they are well worth the $350

tirod
November 12, 2010, 01:20 PM
Deal of the year, I would borrow money to do that, and I'm debt free.

nssa4914
November 12, 2010, 01:57 PM
What makes an sp1?

B. Lahey
November 12, 2010, 02:12 PM
What makes an sp1?

It will say SP1 on it. That's the model number.:)

BUY ALL OF THEM!

FrankenMauser
November 12, 2010, 02:20 PM
What makes an sp1?

As B Lahey stated, an SP1 says it is. ;)

The SP1 was the first "civilian" model AR-15. During the AWB, they sold for as high as $3000 in average condition. Now, most shooters don't even know what they are. As such, the demand and market value are substantially less.

Regardless of market value, they are still very good rifles.

nssa4914
November 12, 2010, 06:05 PM
OK, I went and looked and they are SP1's. But word got out and all have been spoken for now with the exception of one my buddy tagged for me. For some reason they need to file some paperwork before they can let us take them. It turned out to be the nicest one they had. He grabbed a carbine for himself and a newer Eagle for another buddy. It would have been nice to grab all 4 but oh well, I still got one and the nicest SP1 too. For $350 I got a nice piece of history. Who know's, it might shoot well also.

kraigwy
November 12, 2010, 06:32 PM
I'm bias. The SP1 is as close as we can get to the M16A1 without having to go the Class III route. I used the 'A1 in the SE Asia War games and developed a firm attachment to it. I shoot mine a lot. Yes because of the 1:12 twist, I'm limited to < 55 grn bullets but it shoots them pretty damn good.

Sighted in for 250 yards you can get head size hits up to 300 yards by aiming at the mouth/nose are. Favor a tad of black and you can get body hits on the military (19.5 X 40) target up to 500 yards.

When I was shooting for the Guard, I shot some pretty dern good scores on the military combat course (fired at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards).

Its pretty damn reliable also, I'll match mine against any AK out there in the reliabiltiy department, and no AK can compete with it in the accuracy department.

Congrats on your buy, Honor it, shoot it, take care of it and it'll take care of you.

FrankenMauser
November 13, 2010, 05:53 AM
I'm with ya, Kraig.

There have been many ARs that passed through my family. Right now, I believe there are 2 H-Bars, a Rock River, a Bushmaster, and my dad's purchased-new SP1.

Ask anyone which rifle they'd prefer for nearly anything but prairie dogs, and it'll be the SP1. Reliable, durable, and they just don't make stuff like they used to...
Somewhere in the family, we even have the original Colt 3x (2x?) scope floating around.

Being "stuck" with bullets 62 grains and lighter isn't much of a problem, especially if you reload.

pythagorean
November 13, 2010, 09:24 AM
Well, it's a COLT so we know it's the best.

Technosavant
November 13, 2010, 12:06 PM
I'd be on it like white on rice. Not so much because it's somehow superior to modern AR-15s, but more because there's a rather decent sized (and growing) retro AR community. That's an excellent price for those rifles and you can easily get your investment back on them.

10mmAuto
November 13, 2010, 01:57 PM
Being "stuck" with bullets 62 grains and lighter isn't much of a problem, especially if you reload.
Until you start trying to make the 5.56 something its not that's the heaviest thing you need or want.

garryc
November 13, 2010, 08:06 PM
The very first thing I would do is take that gun apart looking for any part that might be full auto. I have a buddy who was a cop and armorer, he said some of the parts in those old cop guns are illegal as they are full auto parts. In some guns the tang on the end of the disconnect was cut off. That would still be illegal as the disconnect was originally made as a full auto part. He also said many of them have the end of the trigger housing open, also full auto. Then he said that many had full auto hammers.

Just be careful.

http://www.ar15.com/content/legal/AR15-M16Parts/