PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand Clips, are these going to be any good?

golfnutrlv
November 11, 2010, 11:56 AM
Hello all, browsing around looking for M1 Garand clips.

What does everyone think of the various clip options on this site?? Which are good, which are not?

http://www.ammogarand.com/clipsmagazines.html

Note that the Springfield Armory ones are sold out, so no worries there.

Thanks for the help!

Flatbush Harry
November 11, 2010, 12:11 PM
If eligible, buy ammo in clips and bandoliers from CMP. A whole lot cheaper.

FH

overland
November 11, 2010, 12:47 PM
Dittos on the CMP. Their surplus Greek 30-06 comes loaded in clips plus the bandoliers. Really good deal. Far cheaper than those.

fnslpmark112
November 11, 2010, 12:55 PM
Avoid the Greek clips. They are horrible.

dahermit
November 11, 2010, 02:13 PM
Avoid the Greek clips. They are horrible. Your post does not tell us anything that is useful. By "horrible", do you mean that they will not work, or that they are cosmetically unsightly?

BombthePeasants
November 11, 2010, 02:29 PM
I reuse my HXP clips, and they work just fine. They do reek of feta cheese though, so I guess they're "horrible" in that regard. JUST KIDDING

NWPilgrim
November 11, 2010, 02:31 PM
Always opt for the USGI ones. I don't know if anyone made Garand clips that were not milspec, but if some are sold as USGI issued and others do not say it I would assume they are some commercial knock off.

This sight seems to have a good selection of clips and .30-06 ammo but the prices seem a bit high. I haven't bought any recently so if you find these prices competitive the USGI clips and ammo should be fine. CMP is always a good place to start.

yourang?
November 11, 2010, 02:35 PM
only problem with cmp, if you can call it a problem, is that you
have to be home to sign when the delivery comes

if you live near either store, then that isnt a problem

i am glad that i dont live close to either store, as i would be in the
poor house....or the dog house....by now!

the website will give you all the info you need

http://www.thecmp.org/

overland
November 11, 2010, 06:20 PM
Home delivery is not the only problem. After a few deliveries of the big crudely made wooden boxes clearly marked "ammo", the Fed Ex guy starts thinking your a survivalist. :D

TimT
November 11, 2010, 06:34 PM
Avoid the Greek clips. They are horrible.

They work just fine for my two M1s, and fine for my father in laws.

kraigwy
November 11, 2010, 08:16 PM
If people are buying M1 clips for $30 a dozzen, I'm gonna open a Clip store and get rich.

golfnutrlv
November 12, 2010, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the replies everyoner. Worst case, going to find some for around .50 cents at the next gun show.

What about these, to hold me over for a few months?? Anyone try them?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG246-36.html

dreamweaver
November 12, 2010, 02:57 AM
you might think about buying a bandolier of ammo. 48 rounds, 6 clips and cardboards in a cloth bando. 50 bucks shipped isn't bad for the convenience.
of course, cost per round is less for a spam can and you end up with 24 new clips.
just my 2c

grumpa72
November 12, 2010, 07:54 AM
My Greek en blocs work just fine however, I only have two M1s but they do work. Not junk in my world.

silvercorvette
November 12, 2010, 09:11 AM
Kind of funny story, I bought my two Garands at CMP and only got one clip per gun they should have been two per gun but I didn't complain. I asked about getting Clips for my Garand on another forum and someone corrected me by saying, "you mean magazines, don't you"
I came back and told him "No the Garand uses clips"

Anywho back to topic Most of the recommendations were for http://www.ammogarand.com/clipsmagazines.html. I think there was another good place that was recommended, but I wound up going to a gun show and found a wooden box with 2 spam cans each had clips with ammo and cloth bandoleers, it turned out cheaper to buy at a gun show.

golfnutrlv
November 12, 2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. I appreciate the clips with ammo recommendations, but going to handload my own, so the ammo fund is going to components.

silvercorvette
November 12, 2010, 11:11 AM
I plan on loading my own but I bought the ammo so I could reload the brass and my press has been collecting dust for more than 3 years when I moved from NY to SC, This way I have something to shoot while I get my press set up and buy dies.