PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with an M1A Socom II?

JerryHN
November 10, 2010, 12:12 AM
I've been debating whether to start saving money for the SA M1A Socom II. I've been doing a lot of research online to see if this is a reliable rifle. I'm still confused as to how good the M1A Socom II really is. Why are some people saying the rifle is no good? Anyone have specific reasons why this is not a good purchase?

pythagorean
November 10, 2010, 05:57 AM
This is my SOCOM 16 and it has exceeded all of my expectations in reliability, accuracy, ease of operation, ruggedness, trigger pull, sights, and portability:

http://i478.photobucket.com/albums/rr145/whitehouse_2008/Centerfire%20Rifle/Assualt%20Rilfes/PB010590.jpg

The ones who write slop about them don't own one.

alloy
November 10, 2010, 06:39 AM
It loses velocity because of the short barrel, which likely takes a bit of accuracy. Shoots about 1 to 1-1/2" groups at 100 with my handloads(actually shoots pretty good with cheap federal power shok ammo as well), and the handload velocity is about 2510fps with a 168 grain bullet so it's almost fast enough.

Out of about 3000 rounds I flipped the last round out of one particular
gin-su magazine maybe 4 times until I got the needlenose out and bent down the top lips on the magazine. That's my Socom redesigned gas system horror story.:rolleyes: All in all it's a great running gun with what I consider pretty good accuracy, and a real hoot to shoot, but you do read alot of stuff on the net. I don't know what folks are expecting out of one when they buy one...and then not getting, mine has been a positive. It's a short rifle that shoots better than some other short rifles, and probobly worse than some other short rifles.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/bigassbike/PICT0068.jpg

Katophract
November 10, 2010, 11:05 AM
What's wrong with them? Um, nothing.

Pahoo
November 10, 2010, 11:11 AM
I personally enjoyed shooting the SCOUT more than the Socom. Just gave me better performance and shooting enjoyment. Just a personal choice. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

demigod
November 10, 2010, 11:20 AM
Why are some people saying the rifle is no good?

I read more comments on the general lack of quality with all of Springfields M1A rifles. I've ran across two guys shooting them at my range. Both had something break on them during the session.

Sprinfield is a marketing company that uses a legendary name on imported, mediocre guns. I wouldn't buy anything from them that didn't come out of the custom shop... built by real Americans.

thesheepdog
November 10, 2010, 11:32 AM
It's a reliable gun. There have been some bugs with the shorter gas system; but I think most of the issues are the occasional bugged up defect, not the design.

You could work up some faster handloads if you're worried about any velocity deficiencies-faster powder; lighter grain round.

I think they're cool, but some dislike the bigger report put of the shorter barrel and muzzle brake.

MythBuster
November 10, 2010, 06:49 PM
Their QC is horrible. They produce both 100% perfect rifles and pieces that look and perform like something built in a tent in Pakistan on the same day.

It is the luck of the draw if you order one without seeing it first.

Get a good one and you will have a 100% reliable rifle that will last longer than you will.

Get the other one and you will be sick.

Find a dealer or gun show that has a few. Pick out a good one and be happy.

TheGoldenState
November 10, 2010, 07:11 PM
alloy, wow what a beaut!!!

wayne in boca
November 11, 2010, 06:29 AM
What is wrong with the Socom II is that it has too many rails too far forward,making it awkward and muzzle-heavy.The Socom 16 is perfectly balanced and is an excellent carbine.I love mine.I have never had even one malfunction and I would trust my life to it.

alloy
November 11, 2010, 07:06 AM
alloy, wow what a beaut!!!

Thanks!
The rifle got me to practice my marksmanship to shoot it fair, forced me into reloading to keep it running good ammo I could afford....to shoot it more, I think it even talked me into buying a Scout model so I could shoot some more......it just stuck, and it's been a good one all around.

bamaranger
November 13, 2010, 02:11 AM
the rails on the gen II are a turn off for me. But the std model seems ideal.

There is a std model available locally, $1500 +, gosh I want it.

Saving for bamaboy's school. Couldn't look him in the eye. Well, I could let him shoot it!!!!!!!!!

Norrick
November 13, 2010, 04:33 AM
Only thing I've ever heard of is the shorter barrel length making the gas operation require tuning, and more ammo sensitive. No personal experience though.

HorseSoldier
November 13, 2010, 04:50 AM
The other issue has already been touched on -- the 16" barrel format makes it more of a specialized CQB gun than a general purpose weapon (18" barrel Scouts are probably the sweet spot for peformance/ergos), and the old fashioned stock format isn't very compatible with modern CQB shooting styles. Nothing especially wrong with it, more that there isn't as much right with it as other options in the M14 clone world.

madcratebuilder
November 13, 2010, 09:03 AM
Sprinfield is a marketing company that uses a legendary name on imported, mediocre guns. I wouldn't buy anything from them that didn't come out of the custom shop... built by real Americans.

The M1A is built by real Americans in Geneseo IL. Were did you get the idea the M1A is imported?

The only problem I have had with the M1A's I have owned is the extractor needs to be replaced with a usgi extractor.

Jo6pak
November 13, 2010, 09:08 AM
Has demigod ever said anything positive about anything?:rolleyes:

pythagorean
November 13, 2010, 09:22 AM
I read more comments on the general lack of quality with all of Springfields M1A rifles. I've ran across two guys shooting them at my range. Both had something break on them during the session.

What broke or were you not paying attention?

Imported? Where do you base your flying statements?

You don't have one do you? That answers the questions as I pointed out earlier.

SR420
November 13, 2010, 09:53 AM
The only thing wrong with the SOCOM II is the crappy rail system.

Buy a regular SOCOM 16 and enjoy.
Put the action in a quality TROY or SAGE stock if you want/need rails.