PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Mauser bolt.

ghengiskhan
October 17, 2010, 05:19 PM
When I got my Mauser 98 the bolt was stripped and polished but all the other metal was still in the original glossy-flat black. So what should I use to paint it to make it match? Or should I just purchase a "new" bolt?

Something like this perhaps?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=45104/pid=24784/sku/Matte_Black__8_oz_

Dfariswheel
October 17, 2010, 06:45 PM
DON'T.
If you paint the bolt body the bolt will not operate well, and will be "sticky"
The paint will immediately scrap off and look terrible.

If you want to paint the bolt handle, that's fine, but due to the handling it gets during operation, the paint won't stick to it very well either.

Most Mauser bolts were left "in the white" with blued handles and shrouds.

tater134
October 17, 2010, 08:46 PM
What model mauser do you have?Some bolts are supposed to be in the white and others are blued.

30-30remchester
October 17, 2010, 11:26 PM
Paint? Surely you are pulling our leg.

ghengiskhan
October 20, 2010, 11:17 AM
:o Heh.. you got my joke alright...

Excusing my previous silly post, would something like this work better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrdESVrBA_Y

I assume the more treatments one does the darker it gets?

GregM
October 21, 2010, 12:52 PM
Send it off to a shop and have it blued. If its a German K98, it supposed to be blued anyway, might as well do it right if it bothers you that its been polished.

GregM

gyvel
October 22, 2010, 02:04 PM
I assume the more treatments one does the darker it gets?

Cold blue is about the crappiest finish you can put on a gun. It is not durable (WD-40 will work right through it), it never goes on evenly, so you end up with a blotchy finish, and it smells bad. It also rubs off with your fingers, leaving a sickly brownish-grey color to the metal.

On the other hand, if your rifle is one of a myriad of other Mauser rifle variants other than a German 98k, it more than likely is supposed to have a polished bolt.

FrankenMauser
October 25, 2010, 02:36 AM
Cold blue is about the crappiest finish you can put on a gun. It is not durable (WD-40 will work right through it), it never goes on evenly, so you end up with a blotchy finish, and it smells bad. It also rubs off with your fingers, leaving a sickly brownish-grey color to the metal.

A properly done Cold Blue makes for a beautiful, dark finish. Improperly done Cold Bluing leads to the results you have described. Whatever it is you are seeing... The methods used to create that finish were not right.

Cold Blue never last as long as a good Hot Blue; that is true. Cold Blue should never be even close to as bad as you describe, though.

And WD-40? Seriously? That's a very poor argument, since WD-40 is a very poor gun cleaning solvent, a terrible gun lubricant, and horrible for most stocks.