PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand or M1A?

Dearhunter61
October 12, 2010, 11:21 PM
Hello All,

I just inherited an Springfield M1A. My cousin also had a M1 Garand too and another cousin got that and actually had the choice between the two. It got me to thinking and I was wondering what you all thought and if you had the choice which one would you choose and why?

Thanks,

P.S. I think if I had had the choice I would have chose the M1A so I actually got the rifle I wanted.

Dearhunter61
October 12, 2010, 11:23 PM
Does anyone who owns an M1A have a preference as far as ammo? Do any of you load for it? If so any particular combos that work the best?

Thanks,

pythagorean
October 12, 2010, 11:36 PM
They're both good rifles--I've had both a few times together but now I just have the SOCOM 16 (an M1-A carbine).

If I had to choose between the two you and your relative have I'd be on your side with the M1 A.

SIGSHR
October 12, 2010, 11:46 PM
You buy the M-1 Garand for the history-especially if it is a WWII one-and you buy the M1A as a shooter.

kraigwy
October 13, 2010, 12:35 AM
Does anyone who owns an M1A have a preference as far as ammo? Do any of you load for it? If so any particular combos that work the best?

I've been shooting and loading for the my M1A since 1977. I used it when I was shooting for the national guard.

The Go To standard load for match shooting is 41.5 grns of 4895, Fed Match Primers LC or Winchester Brass, and 168 SMKs, Good to 600 yards. For 1000 yard shooting I switch out the 168s with 175 SMKs, all else remains the same.

You'll find that is what most HP shooters, shooting the M1A shoots.

Quentin2
October 13, 2010, 12:48 AM
I love the Garand but would have to choose the M1A. Of course the Garand is cheaper.

Jo6pak
October 13, 2010, 04:57 PM
If the Garand was a vintage rifle, I'd go for that one. More history.

And since I already own both, I'd give the cousin his choice, and take the other one.

SR420
October 13, 2010, 04:59 PM
Both, but given a choice between the two... I'll take the M14.

Chris_B
October 13, 2010, 05:22 PM
Every USGI Garand is vintage :)

M1A is a good choice. Correct ammo for the M1 rifle is not as easily obtained as it used to be. The M1 is a heck of a rifle though

Longdayjake
October 13, 2010, 06:21 PM
I actually think that I like my m1 more for fun shooting and my m1a more for accuracy shooting. Both are awesome but if I couldn't have both I think I would stick with the garand.

mavracer
October 13, 2010, 06:37 PM
your cousin got the raw deal, trust me I own both and love both and the decision would be agonizing.LOL

bassfishindoc
October 21, 2010, 01:57 PM
As much as I love the Garand, I would have to take the M1A. You can't find a good M1A for under $1000 but through the CMP you have a wide range of quality Garands for relatively inexpensive prices. It's purely economics.

MuzzleBlast
October 21, 2010, 02:12 PM
My Garand is one of my most-prized possessions. I absolutely love it. But if I could get an M1A for what I paid for my CMP Garand ($400) I would jump on it. Why? Detachable "high capacity" magazine, caliber that is still available in great quanitities at low cost, and ability to mount a scope directly over the bore. It is an improved Garand.

SR420
October 21, 2010, 02:43 PM
Ammo: All of my M14s have 4 groove barrels with 1:10 ROT.

For the best accuracy I feed them 168 and 175 TAP and Federal GM,
but I have no problem feeding them Portuguese NATO surplus ammo.
They also get fed 180 grain subsonic 7.62 x 51 from Engel Ballistic Research (http://www.ebr-inc.net/762ThumperSubsonic.html).

FALacy
October 21, 2010, 03:41 PM
My HRA correct shot 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100 with irons on it with Greek ball last time I was out. I'm sure it could even do better with a better shooter and more consistant ammo.

SadistAssassin
October 22, 2010, 03:27 AM
the m1a man!!! smaller with more ammo!!!

Bernie Lomax
October 22, 2010, 04:03 AM
Correct ammo for the M1 rifle is not as easily obtained as it used to be.

What do you mean? .308 Winchester is as common as dirt.

MLeake
October 22, 2010, 04:53 AM
... that's exactly what they mean.

The M1 fires .30-06, and in lighter loadings than is normally found in local stores or Wally World.

The M1A fires .308, or 7.62x51mm NATO.

Bernie Lomax
October 22, 2010, 04:58 AM
... that's exactly what they mean.

The M1 fires .30-06, and in lighter loadings than is normally found in local stores or Wally World.

The M1A fires .308, or 7.62x51mm NATO.

Yeah, you're right. That was a brain fart on my part.

MLeake
October 22, 2010, 06:37 AM
... we all have them, every so often.

But there are worse problems to have, than deciding between an M1 and an M1A... either way, you win.

mavracer
October 22, 2010, 06:53 AM

It's not so much lighter loading as 30-06 military ball uses faster powder and the gas sustem is set up for this. with the gas port being so close to the end of the barrel slow burning powders which keep pressure higher longer will result in too high of pressure at the gas port.Bent OP rods are the result.
There is a easy fix for this an adjustable gas valve.

chris in va
October 23, 2010, 01:37 AM
Boy, I tell you what. A guy two tables down from me was blasting away with a Garand and I noticed he was using off the shelf hunting ammo.:eek:

I sauntered over to his table and gently suggested he not use the ammo in the gun, for fear of bending the op rod. "Oh it's my son's gun, we don't care" was his reply. I shrugged and went back to shooting my reloads through my Garand.:p

MLeake
October 23, 2010, 01:41 AM
... thanks for the clarification.

It had been been explained to me that .30-06 standard velocity in WWII was about 200fps slower than modern, and the pressure of the new stuff was too much for the gas ports.

Slower powder, etc, may be the reason for the velocity gain. I like shooting them, but don't know much about reloading for them. I suspect the person who was helping me was keeping it simple, so as not to overload the new guy.

Ignition Override
October 23, 2010, 02:13 AM
chris in va (and fellow Garand shooters):

Although I don't yet have the dies to reload for my first Garand (here since August), it looks like 150-grain .308 bullets on 'GB' are not very cheap.

Most guys advise against using 180-grain in the Garand, although 165 and even 172-grain bullets have been considered acceptable. This is not what the OP wants to know, so any pm is welcome.
Why not 180-grain bullets with about two grains etc less powder, if using fast-burning '4895'?

buymore
October 23, 2010, 08:54 AM
M1A verse Garand........even up I'd have to take the M1A. You can't touch one for under $1200 these days! You could sell the M1A and buy a service Grade Garand from the CMP and an M1 carbine somewhere and have tow USGI guns for the same deal! Or and Garand and well over 1000 rds of surplus ammo! Even if selling it wasn't an option.....the M1A will outshoot most Garands any day of the week. I've owned and M1A and it shot VERY well......I sold for the exact reasons I stated. I really prefer the history of hte surplus CMP Garands and I got both of mine for under $700. They both are very good shooters as well,but I could shoot my M1A better any day/

Chris_B
October 23, 2010, 09:03 AM
What do you mean? .308 Winchester is as common as dirt.

:) A Some were actually 7.62 and were associated with the US Navy; it should read '7.62' on the barrel, under the operating rod slide. The marking can be seen by racking back the oprod. 7.62 ones are rare

I have an acquaintance that is ex US military, and trained with the M1 in basic. He firmly believes that M1 rifles fire .308. Oddly, he was Airborne so I'm not sure how he makes the .308 connection

mavracer
October 23, 2010, 09:16 AM
Slower powder, etc, may be the reason for the velocity gain. I like shooting them, but don't know much about reloading for them. I suspect the person who was helping me was keeping it simple, so as not to overload the new guy.
yes, for max velocity 30-06s tend to like slower powders.The schuster adjustable gas valve comes with very good instructions and as a bonus it'll effectively make a garand a strait pull bolt action if your benchresting and don't want to chase brass.

Bernie Lomax
October 23, 2010, 09:30 AM
yes, for max velocity 30-06s tend to like slower powders.The schuster adjustable gas valve comes with very good instructions and as a bonus it'll effectively make a garand a strait pull bolt action if your benchresting and don't want to chase brass.

That's one of the good things about the FAL. It also tightens up groups and improves accuracy, which can be useful for sniping and hunting.