PDA

View Full Version : Question about "for sale" posts

EarlFH
October 6, 2010, 07:58 PM
Sirs,
If this is the wrong place to ask this question, please let me know.

Is it required to post a price in the "for sale" area?

I have a very rare Ruger Alaskan, with a 5 shot cylinder, in 480 Ruger.(only approx. 25 ever made.) I have no idea what it is worth, so I want to see what people would pay for it. I understand that at least two of them have sold for $1200 ea., and one sold for $1600.

Thank you,
Earl Hawkes
EarlFH

Mike Irwin
October 6, 2010, 08:25 PM
The Gun Show forum is for sales, not for trying to divine what your gun is worth.

In essence, what you're wanting to do is auction the gun to the highest bidder, and auctions are not permitted at TFL.

I'd suggest auction arms or gun broker.

EarlFH
October 6, 2010, 08:31 PM
Thank you sir.

EarlFH

Shane Tuttle
October 6, 2010, 08:45 PM
Are you wanting to know if other people know what the going price might be so you can ask for a fair price in the Gun Show? Or are you trying to find out who the highest bidder is here on TFL?

If you mean the former, then you might ask in the Revolver forum. If the latter, then that's against the rules.

EarlFH
October 6, 2010, 08:55 PM
Sir, I want to find out what my gun might be worth.
Thank you for your answer.

EarlFH

Shane Tuttle
October 6, 2010, 09:41 PM
Then I'd ask in the Revolver forum and maybe ask for more specific information such as the history of why there's so few made, etc. if you don't already know. Any information gathered from fellow members might be helpful in finding out a good price to offer.

Good luck on your search.

EarlFH
October 6, 2010, 09:51 PM
Sir,
The reason that there were so few made, is because Ruger decided to stop making the 480's. Rumor is that they were afraid that people might bore them out, and convert them to .475's, which might have beem too much for the Ruger.

EarlFH