PDA

View Full Version : Buffer for AR-15 Carbine

Giovanni
October 4, 2010, 07:50 AM
I currently own a Bushmaster M-4 type carbine (MOE) with a Geissele (SSA) Trigger that I installed. I’m fairly convinced that I need to change the buffer to a heavier one because the carbine is over functioning (right out of the box). After the last round, the bolt does not stay locked back. This happens with commercial .223 ammo of various manufacturers and especially with NATO spec ammo. It does, however, stay locked with underpowered Wolf 100% of the time. Also, I am using different magazines that all function well with the Wolf.
I have a question on Buffers themselves. If I order one, are they all the same dimension in that they will fit the Bushmaster tube? Is one buffer brand better than the other? Do I need to replace the spring as well? Which buffer does Bushmaster currently use with this type of firearm? And finally, should I take the buffer weight up ONE level or go straight for the H2? I want to be able to shoot both the NATO and Wolf type ammo.
Thanks-----------John

demigod
October 4, 2010, 09:07 AM
Don't change the spring. There's a lot of aftermarket junk out there. USGI stainless is the way to go.

I'd order an H2 buffer from bravocompanyusa.com. If the bolt speed is outpacing the follower in the mag, I'd skip the H buffer and start with an H2.

I have a 14.5" bushmaster that runs pretty good with an H2.

Giovanni
October 4, 2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks demigod, I appreciate your response. :)

I called Bushmaster and they want to try the H buffer first...they're sending me one. If that one is no good, I'll order the H2 myself from Bravo Company.

At first the tech said he thought my tube was turned "in" 1 turn too much and maybe that was the problem. I don't want to mess around with that thing for sure :eek: when this is so much easier.

I'll report back.

John

TriggerJunky
October 4, 2010, 02:32 PM
The bushy tech rep actually said he thought the reciever extension (actual name for buffer tube) was turned on one revolution to much? Wow, lol... you really can't do that or you'd be pinching the buffer stay pin to the point of imobility. What do they pay these yahoos for anyway?

Giovanni
October 4, 2010, 03:20 PM
That's exactly what he said. I saw the same thing your talking about. It can't be turned in an extra turn and another turn out the capture device would be gone.

John

RWBlue01
October 4, 2010, 05:40 PM
Please define what you mean by "over functioning".

Please show picture of the inside of your receiver where the buffer retention pin is. I don't think it is possible to put the receiver extension in too far, but maybe I will see something new.

If you are ordering an H2 buffer from BravoCompany order a new spring at the same time (delivery costs and such....). Between the regular, H1, H2 and a new spring, I think there isn't much that we couldn't solve.

Quentin2
October 4, 2010, 08:28 PM
I just went through this quandry too. Needed a heavier buffer than my standard weight carbine buffer and suspected an H2 might be better with a lighter weight AR style bolt carrier like most garden variety ARs have.

Just got a BCM H2 and spring but haven't had a chance to test them yet... I figure if it turns out to be too heavy I could open both buffers and swap a steel weight and tungsten to make both buffers H buffers. Of course if that happens they'll both be marked wrong but will be the correct weight.

Hope the buffer BM sends you will do the trick!

Giovanni
October 5, 2010, 07:33 AM
By “over functioning” I was saying cycling too fast/hard. The buffer tube is installed perfectly and in the only position that can be.
Quentin, let me know how the H2 works for you.
I’m hoping to have the buffer before next weekend for a tryout.

Thanks…..

1911rocks
October 5, 2010, 08:01 AM
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=18565/Product/AR_15_M16_M_4_RATE_REDUCING_BUFFER

or

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26578/Product/H2_HEAVY_BUFFER_ASSEMBLY

Finally, the one I use.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=394279

I've also heard that using a DPMS LR308 Buffer achieves the same result. I have no personal knowledge as such.

rjrivero
October 5, 2010, 08:23 AM
I use the Spikes Tactical ST-T2 buffer. I don't know the weight difference between it and the DPMS linked above, but it is heavier than the H2 buffer.

LINK HERE. (http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=104_97&products_id=201)

demigod
October 5, 2010, 08:29 AM
Slow motion videos on youtube show the Spikes buffer to be less effective than a real buffer. They're better than a light carbine buffer, but they don't reduce bolt bounce as effectively as a good old H2 buffer.

rjrivero
October 5, 2010, 08:39 AM
I would be real interested in seeing that video, Demi. Do you have a link?

demigod
October 5, 2010, 11:31 AM
Not sure if this is the exact video, but this is the guy who filmed it. He has several slow mo AR bolt travel videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=575Q0O41u5s