PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 CAR 16 complete upper questions

kemassey
October 3, 2010, 11:46 AM
I just purchased a complete upper from Midway for 399. It is dpms and complete with BCG and charging handle. My question is, the rifle came with a 20inch barrel and I changed out the the buttstock to a CAA telescoping stock that was complete with the buffer tube, buffer and spring. Will I have to get a different buffer and spring since this a carbine length gas system? I couldn't pass on the price but hope it will work ok. The 20inch upper I have is a heavy barrel and not much fun to shoot. Hope someone can help. Have a good weekend.:confused:

kemassey
October 3, 2010, 04:34 PM
Nothing yet? I went on another forum and found nothing but hate spewing about DPMS products and people that would use them. Unfortunately I don't have the extra cash to purchase something that someone else thinks is better. I have two dpms products and they work just fine. If I need a HD weapon I will use my shotgun. Anyhow just am glad to say this site isn't filled with A-holes like the one I was on earlier. Any input would be appreciated from my first post.

DnPRK
October 3, 2010, 05:13 PM
Your new 16" upper will work with a rifle buttstock lower. Conversely, a 20" rifle upper will work with a lower configured with a collapsible carbine stock.

Though it isn't necessary, if you choose to swap out the rifle buttstock for a collapsible carbine buttstock, you need to use the carbine length buffer and spring. The shorter carbine buffer in the shorter collapsible buffer tube will allow the bolt carrier group to fully cycle and pick up a new cartridge from the magazine.

kemassey
October 3, 2010, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have a CAA buttstock already so I should be good to go. Will post when it is done.