PDA

View Full Version : Double Star Ar15's

CK_32
October 2, 2010, 06:48 PM
Any good???

Im looking at the $650 and $500 basic models.. How is their quality and reliability??

Idk anything about them.

Im looking to get a Stag Model 1 or 2 M4 Carbine but someone told me to check out double star. I don't want to down grade in quality and reliability from a stag just to save a few hundred bucks. Id rather spend the extra $200 and get a ar that will last me..

So anyone have any work on the double star m4's?

chaser_2332
October 2, 2010, 07:05 PM
they make great ar's would take one over a model 1 anyday

pcardinal42
October 2, 2010, 08:03 PM
Go to the site and read, read, and read some more. Lots of information from a lot of AR guys that have been shooting and in the business of buying, selling and manufacturing. I suggest you do not buy an AR before you read every knowledge thread on the site. Learn what the "chart" is and get a gun based off of that. Most will tell you not to skimp on $ when it comes to gun. You are going to get what you pay for and if you are wanting to use this as a self defense gun or random shtf don't you want to know you have one of the best guns?

You will most likely get told to go to BCM or Daniel Defense. They are two of the top tier guns that are reasonably priced. Colt is of course usually labeled the best because they have the contracts. The three just listed are built to mil-spec standards. Some AR manufactures go above and beyond but then you pay a lot more. I put the some links in there for you. Trust me do some research and buy smart. Most of these guns will go over the $1k price range you have set but after you buy a gun under that price range you'll end up spending more than $1k fixing it to make it right. By right the first time.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/
http://www.danieldefense.com/

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=60901

viking499
October 2, 2010, 09:06 PM
Nothing wrong with Doublestars. Great product. Excellent customer service.

CK_32
October 2, 2010, 09:52 PM
I have been researching for a few months now.. But every time I start really leaning more onto a company I get told to look at another.. I plan on upgrading and putting some accessories later on but Im not looking to build a full on competition ar15..

I want a basic ar plat form to go out plink target shoot and just f around with in the desert with out spending $3k for something I only play on taking out to 100 yards max.. and 90% of the time popping a 22LR bolt conversion in. Im looking for the best buy for my money just like everyone else but want a decent plat form with out buying an ar for $200 and ending up with some cheap jap made POS thats going to break down in a year..

Idk much about the company and half the time companies just have small details about the rifle not the materials and major info like some others.. And I figured Id get it from someone who's handled one them selves than a deck jocky who was given a paper and put it up on the web site..

As of not Im looking to spend max $1k and was just wondering how they stacked against a stag or spikes.. I know they aren't the best but I wanna get the best bang for my buck..

DnPRK
October 2, 2010, 10:50 PM
I've bought many items from Jesse and Teresa dating back to the good ol' days when they had tables at the Great Western Gunshow at Pomona Fairgrounds. My latest purchase was via mail order, 2 complete 20" A2 uppers and a 16" A2 upper. I've also bought a couple stripped DS lowers locally for OLL builds. Their products are middle of the line quality wise. Like other small AR-15 producers, they buy their components from the same sources as the rest (only a few AR builders actually make their own components). I wouldn't hesitate a minute in sending J&T Distributing/Doublestar more business.

viking499
October 2, 2010, 10:52 PM
I would put mine up against a stag. 20" barrel. It is one of their kit guns.

Doublestar is made not to far from where I live. Good people. Good product.

A friend of mine was going to buy a $850 used AR.(DPMS) Shot mine. He now owns a Doublestar.

Dallas Jack
October 3, 2010, 12:02 AM
I've had three, still have one of them. I bought one as a complete gun and bought the other two as kits. There isn't many complaints about them and mine have been 100%. I'm saving to build another AR from the ground up and it will be another Double Star.

In my opinion they are a good yet little known gun. And as said before, research and find out exactly what you expect from a AR and get one that matches your needs and wants.

This is my current AR, it is simple and not covered in exspensive aftermarket parts but it fits my needs completely. Hope this helps.
Dallas Jack

allgrainer
October 3, 2010, 05:59 AM
Ive had my Double Star about 10 months now and love it. M4 Star-15. it shoots sweet and accurate. I have put GGG BUIS, Eotech 512 W/GGG cover, troy battle sling, and rail protector clips from Larue Tactical. I cant say enough good about there rifles. Go get you one you will be pleased.

madcratebuilder
October 3, 2010, 08:33 AM
Double Star makes a nice rifle. Don't get hung up on buying a "CHART RIFLE" it's mostly for bragging rights.

CK_32
October 3, 2010, 12:06 PM
Alright thank you guys.. Ill defiantly be looking more into double star.

RRlocoENGR
February 7, 2011, 04:08 PM
New to the forum, looking at Doublestars also, I am looking a little harder after all this good information. They sound like a good product!